CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I said it before and I’ll say it again. Learn to win at your level before competing with the big boys. This smell Ty Tryon all over it.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    So like I played pretty solid out there today. Some wedge shots should have been closer, some putts should have went in.

Righttttttttt, problem is those wedge shots came from her, and so did the putts and the novelty has worn off in my case.

Apparently her management team is working on her post round speeches. I noticed last weekend after she lost her match to Lincicombe that she did not congratulate her first. All she could talk about was how she got some bad bounces out there but she played pretty solid. She should have congratulated her opponent first and said how well she played. That is what a true sportsman/woman would do.

Oh, John Deere is happy.
    I just try to remember how polite (or impolite / ignorant) I was when I was 16 and then alot of this sort of stuff makes sense...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote:
    "Considering that I had the water hazard penalties, considering that I had to call unplayable, considering that I hit my driver like 50 yards right, I felt like I played really well. I have a lot of confidence going into tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Wow. Seriously in denial. How is that playing really well?
    I caught that quote too and laughed my butt off She kinda contridicted herself too because right before that, when asked what happened, she said something like "It was just bad shot after bad shot". Then she goes "Yeah I had a lot of bad luck out there..." Which one was it???

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Why? Edison tried over a 1000 times before succeeding. If it were anybody else you would not make such a claim. She is doing better than zillion of other guys out there who have been trying for the last 10 years.
    I completely disagree with you here. She's doing better than 4 people at the John Deere. And don't tell me she's doing better than all the other pros that are on the Nationwide and other tours, because she isn't. The only reason she is playing is because she is being HANDED opportunities. I would bet that if you put almost anyone on the Nationwide tour in her shoes, they would do just as well as she is doing, if not better. Send her back to the Women's tour where she can compete. This is just a mockery.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    I just try to remember how polite (or impolite / ignorant) I was when I was 16 and then alot of this sort of stuff makes sense...
    Like...Bingo.
    But like, give her, like a break. She's only, like, 16 or something like that. Like, to her, like apparently life is just simile after simile.

But like, that's not like, how you spell smile, is it?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    the real issue isn't whether Michelle Wie should be playing in a PGA event, it's whether they should have sponsor's exemptions at all. Is it fair that someone (Michelle or others) gets a free pass to play in an event? I know, I know it's all about the money.

That being said, it seems like everyone else knows what is better for Michelle Wie except Michelle Wie.

If you want sponsors and tv coverage and prize money you better have sponsors exemptions.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I completely disagree with you here. She's doing better than 4 people at the John Deere. And don't tell me she's doing better than all the other pros that are on the Nationwide and other tours, because she isn't. The only reason she is playing is because she is being HANDED opportunities. I would bet that if you put almost anyone on the Nationwide tour in her shoes, they would do just as well as she is doing, if not better. Send her back to the Women's tour where she can compete. This is just a mockery.

Like you and I she is human. She can have an off week and an on week. Same with all the guys on tour. How often do you see a guy win at -12 one week and not even make the cut the following week . I bet that if she ever has an on week she'll be close to making the cut. If you were in her shoes you would jump on every opportunity handed to you, wouldn't you? Just like no one is worth over 1 million $ a year for playing any game but hey if they give it to you go for it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    If you want sponsors and tv coverage and prize money you better have sponsors exemptions.
    right. And there my friend is the catch 22. Exemptions exist because the sponsors pony up the cash. So they can give them to whoever they want. So people that say she should earn her way on have little basis for that arguement. No exemptions - no sponsorship, no sponsorship - no tour.

Ultimately she will earn her way, but in the short term she can build experience by playing against the best in the toughest conditions. How is that different than offering it to a club pro or a Nationwide tour player? Neither have earned their PGA card.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I bet that if she ever has an on week she'll be close to making the cut.
    There you go...hit the nail on the head. If she has an on week, she'll be CLOSE to making the cut. She did that last year at the John Deere. She had her on week, and she couldn't make it. She doesn't belong there. She doesn't have the game (mental or physical) for the PGA tour yet.

You mentioned players who will win one week, and miss the cut the next. Sure, there are lots of them....the difference betweeen them and Wie is....drumroll please....they actually win or come close from time to time.

Of course I would take the money if I had the chance, that doesn't mean I would belong there, or be worthy of it. I'd also probably realize that if I ever wanted to gain any respect, I would be better off sticking with the LPGA and winning there. Annika Sorenstam is by far the most respected female golfer of all time. Why? Because she kicks ass and wipes the floor with the field. Wie has the potential to do that on the LPGA tour, and probably make more money, and definitely gain more respect than she will as the bearded lady (a freakshow reference...I know she doesn't have a beard). on the PGA tour.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    We still haven't agreed on her age expiry? When Can wielovers quit using it as an excuse for losing. When she is:
    a. 17
    b.18
    c.37 yrs old????
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

There's a difference between SHOULD and WILL. It should already have stopped being a legit excuse. However, it will continue to be used until she meets wielovers lofty expectations, which seem to include competing week in and week out on the PGA tour. Since that will never happen, she will be too young until she stops trying at the age of 86.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    We still haven't agreed on her age expiry? When Can wielovers quit using it as an excuse for losing. When she is:
    a. 17
    b.18
    c.37 yrs old????
    IMO she's already expired.
    The sponsor's will dictate her expiry when the audience dwindles because we've seen it all before. The spectacle of her simply being in the field can't last forever.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I do believe that denial is what the Rotellas of this world teach the players. The truly greats. I have heard, purposely don't remember the bad shots. It is a technique so that they go on with confidence.

I am quite happy with her playing. If she was dead last and a few shots behind everyone else then that would be different. But given she can compete, I say go for it. I would. You have to do what you can now in life. You never know what is around the corner. They want her to play for the ratings, and she wants to play. So it is going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Wow. Seriously in denial. How is that playing really well?

Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    But given she can compete, I say go for it.
    Can she though? I think this is what many people have a problem with.

Lob Wedge kennedyk is on a distinguished road

Wie to stay as an amateur???

I have to agree with you guys that she should stick to the LPGA for a few years to continue to develop her (short) game. I don't see what the whole rush is. If she makes a cut on the pga when she's 20, she'll still make a pga cut. I think she needs to slow down and take it easy.

Now as far as saying she's not ready for professional golf!? I don't think you could be any farther from the truth. THe LPGA is professional and in the last 3 majors she has only lost by a TOTAL of 5 strokes. I'd say thats no fluke.

My opinion - Stick to the LPGA for a little while until you are old enough to not worry about curfew! But she does belong as a pro...

I don't know the stats. on all of her tries, but she has definately done better than some of the guys out there. Therefore I think she can compete. As I said if she was dead last, then she obviously shouldn't be there. It is going to take her a while to really get more comfortable and play to the best of her abilities, given the extraordinary publicity and such that she has to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Can she though? I think this is what many people have a problem with.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I don't know the stats. on all of her tries, but she has definately done better than some of the guys out there. Therefore I think she can compete. As I said if she was dead last, then she obviously shouldn't be there. It is going to take her a while to really get more comfortable and play to the best of her abilities, given the extraordinary publicity and such that she has to deal with.
    She has not made a cut in a Men's event on The PGA, one in Asia which of course has weaker fields.
    Her problem is she has no Tour to call home. She turned PRO without a tour to play on, in order to cash in on the big endorsements available at the time. Now let's just say she had not turned pro when she did. She goes on to play in some PGA events, makes no cuts. Plays some LPGA events (again, she needs exemptions for those events), does not win. Waits to turn Pro at age 18-19. Do you honestly think her endorsements are worth $10 Mil then? Somehow I doubt it. She took advantage of all the media attention she got, cashed in.
    But without a Tour to call home she depends on endorsements to get into events. She has cause a stir in the LPGA with some of her endorsements. Just ask Julie Inkster.
    Hey don't get me wrong, for a 16 year old she can play the game. I just feel she does not belong in tour events until she qualifies for to play on a Tour. I realize sponsors have every right to allow her into a tournament, but that still doesn't make it right.
    My rant for the day is done
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

... she has definately done better than some of the guys out there. Therefore I think she can compete.
    I wouldn't call missing the cut in every event you play 'competing'.

I am not really saying that I agree with the exemption thing at all. I actually think in a perfect situation to be fair to everyone, that you should be qualified. But, if I put myself in the PGA body and knew that bringing her in would cause the ratings to skyrocket, which in turn benefits the game, then I would also do it, and given they have these exemptions, if I put myself in Michelle's shoes (I wish) Then I would probably do exactly what she is doing.

No, I agree. I don't think she has competed well yet but I think she 'can' compete, I think she needs more time in the events to be able to relax and play to her abilities.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    She's come close at the Sony and at last year's JDC, and was therefore competing. Contending, no, but competing yes. She was a competitor in the event, and therefore was competing.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

No, I agree. I don't think she has competed well yet but I think she 'can' compete, I think she needs more time in the events to be able to relax and play to her abilities.
    I "Can" compete too. Just give me 5 years of non stop golfing with the best instructors in the world.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Well apparently she has collapsed and is being taken away by ambulance.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    As Geoff said in another thread heat exhausion is no joking matter. It's just a shame the network couldn't leave her in peace and show some golf action instead.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    As Geoff said in another thread heat exhausion is no joking matter. It's just a shame the network couldn't leave her in peace and show some golf action instead.
    Wasn't that an absolute disgrace! I think the last 15 or 20 minutes of the telecast was between looking at the closed door of the medical 'tent' and the occasional put or drive from the players.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

"Richard"
    Is it just me or did her hips look really wide in comparison to her waist????

Gap Wedge zhangtony is on a distinguished road

Wie is a great golf player.

basically I am not any fan of the golf players except Wie. her swing
    is perfect. I mean, her golf talent is greatest in this world. maybe
    you don't believe what I said. However I spent half a year to do
    research the golf swing. The final result is just like that.

If you think a win is a win, it's a joke. Believe it or not, some guys
    play the same course again and again for the win, it's not golf
    swing skill but the course management.

Let Wie play as many as she wants. One day she will know
    how to become the master of the course management. If you
    play one bad round of golf, it's course management but not your skill.
    Always keep in mind, you try to beat the golf course not anyone else
    when playing the golf.

I hope your guys understand my point. Any comments like who should
    play or not doesn't make sense.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zhangtony
    basically I am not any fan of the golf players except Wie. her swing
    is perfect. I mean, her golf talent is greatest in this world. maybe
    you don't believe what I said. However I spent half a year to do
    research the golf swing. The final result is just like that.

If you think a win is a win, it's a joke. Believe it or not, some guys
    play the same course again and again for the win, it's not golf
    swing skill but the course management.

Let Wie play as many as she wants. One day she will know
    how to become the master of the course management. If you
    play one bad round of golf, it's course management but not your skill.
    Always keep in mind, you try to beat the golf course not anyone else
    when playing the golf.

I hope your guys understand my point. Any comments like who should
    play or not doesn't make sense.
    Pretty golf swings do not always win tournaments.

Take Alan Doyle, Lee Trevino, Jim Furyk and many others.

If what you say is true about some guys playing the same course to win as it suits them, then a past winner of an event should win it every year after his first win until he retires. Now if you follow golf at all you would know that does not happen.

Sure you try to beat the course, but the winner of a PGA event has to beat about 70 other guys as well as the course.

Wie has talent, but not the greatest in the world. Far from it. She has no wins on any tour, and not many in the Junior ranks. Until she wins, she is a runner up or worse in all the events she has played in.

The media hypes her up. This morning's opening page of the Golf Channel website had her story. The local paper had her story. Seems to me those media outlets forgot to talk about the guy leading the tournament.

This afternoon she became sick while on the course. Again the media forgot there were other players on the course. 30+ minutes of showing her first holding her stomach, then her neck area. She should have quit long before she did. Then the media is snapping pictures of her while Jeff Gove is trying to putt. Gove drops his putter and says "There are other players in this group trying to putt" She should have had the decency to move away from the green when she was going to withdraw.

The medical building scene was uncalled for by the USA Network. As a viewer I missed at least 15 minutes of golf due to the fact she was inside the building. I am suprised she did not come out on the stretcher and wave to the cameras.

She might be talented, but in my books until she wins an event she has not proven herself to me, and many others. The media needs to lighten up on the WIE COVERAGE until she is in contention. If that was "JOE BLOW PRO" at +7 you would not even know he was in the tournament. The cameras would not be on when he was putting for boogie. Mike Weir can be 2 shots back of the leader and the US Networks will not even show him!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information