100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

Wie at the John Deere

+6 / 77

T-149 out of 153

Darn, too bad.

What REALLY gets me is all the gushing that the commentators did on USA. Unfortunately, they refused to call a spade a spade...and even went so far as to say the round "really could have gotten away from her."

I thought that it DID get away from her.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    If she doesn't make the cut against THIS field, she should stop trying.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    She really should win at least a couple of LPGA events before trying to make a cut at the PGA events!
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    She certainly is not living up to the hype at all. It's getting really tiresome.

"Considering that I had the water hazard penalties, considering that I had to call unplayable, considering that I hit my driver like 50 yards right, I felt like I played really well. I have a lot of confidence going into tomorrow."
    Wow. Seriously in denial. How is that playing really well?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Why? Edison tried over a 1000 times before succeeding. If it were anybody else you would not make such a claim. She is doing better than zillion of other guys out there who have been trying for the last 10 years.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    She is doing better than zillion of other guys out there who have been trying for the last 10 years.
    True, but I can't imagine any other player being 6 over and with a bunch a penalty strokes and then say they played well.
    I'm a fan of her talent but I really think this should be her last PGA event until she wins something elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    True, but I can't imagine any other player being 6 over and with a bunch a penalty strokes and then say they played well.
    I'm a fan of her talent but I really think this should be her last PGA event until she wins something elsewhere.
    She's young and was only a putt short of going into a playoff at her last LPGA event. I did not say she played well. I only asked why she should stop trying. In due time she will win plenty of events but for now she's still learning. And learning comes faster when you play against stronger opponents. Just my .02 anyway.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    She's young and was only a putt short of going into a playoff at her last LPGA event. ... I only asked why she should stop trying.
    She can certainly win on the LPGA, there's no doubt about that. As I said, I am a fan, I really enjoy watching her play, but the hype is growing old for me. I want her to win, and I don't care if it's on the LPGA. A win is a win.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'd like to see the LPGA give her a tour card and then have her concentrate on women's events for a while. Let her get to the top of the game there before she has another go on the PGA tour. I'm pretty sure the sponsor's exemptions (except maybe Sony in Honolulu) will dry up now. I would love to see her make the PGA tour, but she clearly needs to work on her game to get it to that level.

, but the hype is growing old for me.
    Better get used to it. It's going to be around for a while.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopefully her play warrants the hype to be around for a while, but it's already growing old for many people. If she continues to miss cuts on the PGA and doesn't win anything on the LPGA any other 'podunk' tour she will have as much hype as Ty Tryon currently has.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Wow. Seriously in denial. How is that playing really well?
    Hi Dan... wondering if you read these comments somewhere or if you heard her speak them... they played this very clip on sportscenter this morning and her tone was actually dripping with sarcasm - she was having a go at herself and at the question that was posed to her by the reporter. It was plainly obvious by her tone and inflection that she wasn't pleased by her play.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Then so should Carlos Franco.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Nancy Lopez had some great comments on Michelle's PGA Tour attempts yesterday... essentially she's not for it at all. Nancy feels that Michelle should still be play amateur golf - and I don't necessarily disagree with her based on the way she put it - from the perspective of a mother - seemed like a very polite rebuke of Father and Mother Wie.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Honestly, I think it will wear off. Novelties only last so long, and if Michelle doesn't make a few PGA Tour cuts, the fans will lose interest, and the sponsors won't see the need to try to increase their gates by giving her exemptions.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    ... wondering if you read these comments somewhere or if you heard her speak them... It was plainly obvious by her tone and inflection that she wasn't pleased by her play.
    I saw the interview yesterday after her round - she as not being sarcastic, she really thought she played okay with the exception of the bad tee shots.

Hi Dan... wondering if you read these comments somewhere or if you heard her speak them... they played this very clip on sportscenter this morning and her tone was actually dripping with sarcasm - she was having a go at herself and at the question that was posed to her by the reporter. It was plainly obvious by her tone and inflection that she wasn't pleased by her play.
    Read it on worldgolfwire.com

I saw the interview yesterday after her round - she as not being sarcastic, she really thought she played okay with the exception of the bad tee shots.
    Geez, really? I didn't get that impression at all. Maybe I'm just weird or something.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Then so should Carlos Franco.
    The obvious differnce being Carlos Franco has 4 pro wins already - he has proven he can (could?) win at this level.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    So at the matchplay after losing to Brittany:
    "I thought I played really well. I just had a lot of bad breaks," Wie said.
    So after her 6 over first round at the John Deere:
    On the golf channel they show her interview and again refers to (can't remember if it was bad breaks? or bounces?) Does it matter? It's not her bad play its 'bad breaks'.
    Geez thought that was golf? Guess I am a step away from PGA except for those 14 bad breaks! (editor note, 14 would be the 85 I shoot regularly vs par)

My question. What is the OGN Forum agreement for her 'age' no longer being an excuse. I understand her defenders keep saying "she's only 16!" Will "She's only 18!" be ok?
    21? Just trying to establish some ground rules here?
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    My question. What is the OGN Forum agreement for her 'age' no longer being an excuse. I understand her defenders keep saying "she's only 16!" Will "She's only 18!" be ok?
    21? Just trying to establish some ground rules here?
    To me her age is an excuse for her interviews - she's 16 and she sounds like a 16 year old. Age is no excuse for defending a poor performance though.

The obvious differnce being Carlos Franco has 4 pro wins already - he has proven he can (could?) win at this level.
    I agree.

I just find it funny how we get up in arms with Michelle getting sponsor's exemptions when she hasn't done anything to deserve them. But isn't the point of the sponsor's excemption that they can give it to a monkey if they feel it will heighten the profile of an event and therefore bring more eyeballs to the tv so their brand can get more media run?

And by debating this endlessly we're actually giving the sponsor's exactly what they want - buzz. If Michelle wasn't in the field this week, the John Deere 'Classic' would be a footnote on the sports pages and would barely register in the consciousness of the casual golf fan.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    To me her age is an excuse for her interviews - she's 16 and she sounds like a 16 year old. Age is no excuse for defending a poor performance though.
    I agree. Just want to know an expiry date for excuses. It seems half the people think 16 is ok as a valid age to explain her inability to win. But if this continues what age does it stop?
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

So "I hit my driver like 50 yards right" was a bad bounce off the clubface I guess.

You doodes are tough nuts.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I just find it funny how we get up in arms with Michelle getting sponsor's exemptions when she hasn't done anything to deserve them.
    Even though she's a privelidged kid who, as far as I know, hasn't paid her "dues" I can totaly understand the sponser's position. The story 60 minutes had on her claimed she increases interest by about 50%.

And by debating this endlessly we're actually giving the sponsor's exactly what they want - buzz. If Michelle wasn't in the field this week, the John Deere 'Classic' would be a footnote on the sports pages and would barely register in the consciousness of the casual golf fan.
    Right you are. But if this trend of missing cuts continues interest is going to wane. For her sake, I'd reakly like to see her win on the LPGA.

I agree. Her novelty will indeed wear off soon if a cut isn't made...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I agree. Her novelty will indeed wear off soon if a cut isn't made...
    So like I played pretty solid out there today. Some wedge shots should have been closer, some putts should have went in.

Righttttttttt, problem is those wedge shots came from her, and so did the putts and the novelty has worn off in my case.

Apparently her management team is working on her post round speeches. I noticed last weekend after she lost her match to Lincicombe that she did not congratulate her first. All she could talk about was how she got some bad bounces out there but she played pretty solid. She should have congratulated her opponent first and said how well she played. That is what a true sportsman/woman would do.

Oh, John Deere is happy.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    she should have stayed an amateur! her game is far from ready for professional golf. her parents must have wanted the money??

Thread Information