+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    You don't need to seed by handicaps. The whole reason behind using them is to make all golfers equal on the first tee. Mike may be a 4, and Rezadue may be a 22. That's a complete mis-match if they're playing straight up, but the true differential is 18 strokes. Rezadue gets a stroke on every hole. That's the equalizer. Don't outsmart yourself Geoff. We have handicaps for a reason.

BTW - 80% handicaps is much more damaging to a high capper than a low one. Rezadue's cap now becomes 17.6, Mike's is 3.2. Rezadue loses almost 4 strokes. Now the tables are really tilted in Mike's favour. The only time that 80% should be used is when teams of 2 or more players are using a combined handicap.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Counting HDCP and Equitable Stroke Control are seperate entities and will not affect the outcome of these matches together. ESC is for a player to use when playing a round that will be inputted for HDCP purposes. For instance, myself being below a 9 HDCP (the first cutoff point I believe) I am not allowed to count more than double bogey on any hole. It prevents me from trying to throw a round to raise my cap for competitive purposes that use net scores. Whereas yourself rez, at your current playing level you are not supposed to count anything higher than triple or quad, not sure of the other cutoff pts. We won't be using ESC during the matches.

HDCP strokes is just a method to allow golfers of different levels a chance to compete against one another under relatively even playing conditions. Now of course this all goes to hell if there is a sandbagger. HDCP strokes is just the difference between the two players. Say mpare and I were to play a match. He would have to give me a stroke on the two hardest holes on the course. After that, its heads up the rest of the way in.

Make sense?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    You don't need to seed by handicaps. That's the whole reason behind using them. All golfers are equal on the first tee. Mike may be a 4, and Rezadue may be a 22. That's a complete mis-match if they're playing straight up, but the true differential is 18 strokes. Rezadue gets a stroke on every hole. That's the equalizer. Don't outsmart yourself Geoff. We have handicaps for a reason.

BTW - 80% handicaps is much more damaging to a high capper than a low one. Rezadue's cap now becomes 17.6, Mike's is 3.2. Rezadue loses almost 4 strokes. Now the tables are really tilted in Mike's favour. The only time that 80% should be used is when teams of 2 or more players are using a combined handicap.
    Isn't that what I've been saying. So not sure why you are suggesting I'm tryin to outsmart myself. Rich, everyone knows I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just trying to give some structure. I know this format hurts the low capper if the high capper plays well. The 80% method is just a way to prevent sandbagging like I said. But I'm not worried about that here. I never said it had to be this way, just offering up an idea. Ultimately its up to rez as to how he wants to do this. I'm just suggesting ideas. We do it two ways at our club. We seed according to qualifying scores, and we have seeded according to handicaps. Let us know how you want to do it rez.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 07-13-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm sitting at 9.3 right now.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Im in if im not too late? Probably take the last seed though

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Doh! Looks like I might be too late. I guess I've gotta start checking for new posts on this forum every few hours!

I'd also be interested in playing if there are any spots left or if somebody drops out. My index is sitting at 7.4 right now.

Thanks.
    MJF

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For "real" higher handicaps the 80% rule could unfairly tilt the outcome in favour of lower handicaps. I'd rather assume that everyone is being honest and play on the basis of a full differential. Anyone who has used creative math to "calculate" their handicap will soon be outed. In short, I'd rather give the higher handicaps the strokes to which they are entitled. Besides, it will force the lower handicappers to play better.

Exactly my thoughts as well mpare. By no means was I suggesting anyone was being "creative", just offered up another method of dealing with the cap differentials. I am cool with giving every stroke entitled to as well. Its all in fun and the spirit of the game.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I would be interested Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    I would be interested Geoff
    rezadue is going to take care of this one. He'll see your reply I'm sure. We might have to expand this perhaps. What do you think rez? We've had three extras so far. If we get one more rez, we could either have a two 4 qualifying matches between the 8 bottom seeds (kind of a la NCAA for the last spot) or the top 4 seeds could get a bye to the next round. Not sure what you want to do.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m interested. I don’t use this sites HDCP software but I have a valid RCGA HDCP. I can send you a print screen on request to prove my index.

As some of you know, I’m a ClubLink member and this would give may playing partner the opportunity to play one of the 4 local CL courses if they wish.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I’m interested. I don’t use this sites HDCP software but I have a valid RCGA HDCP. I can send you a print screen on request to prove my index.

As some of you know, I’m a ClubLink member and this would give may playing partner the opportunity to play one of the 4 local CL courses if they wish.

Mike
    You're just trying to bribe your way in aren't you????

Well rez, that makes four. What do you think? I don't think we have enough time to do a 32 man field. I'd say 20 is your max. Going to have to say no at some point. Just a matter now of how to proceed. I'll try to help the best I can. LMK.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Gentlemen,

Honestly speaking, I am not very comfortable setting rules for this even as I am a beginner golfer myself and would not like to impose my little knowledge on most of you who have had much more experience playing golf, setting up and playing in tournaments and/or are more well read.

But since I opened my mouth and said I would help organize, I can make some common sense suggestions and see how people like them. But please do keep in mind that this is a "For Fun" event only.

From the ideas people I have been throwing around I would like to suggest the following. But feel free to chime in if you don't agree and would like to see something different.

1) We split the DHCP percentage down the middle and go by 90% of the difference between the two players.
    2) Providing we have some people in the west end and some in the east end, we split the brackets to Ottawa East and West. This ought to make arranging matches a bit easier. Can you indicate whether you are on Ottawa West, Center, East or South? I guess Gatineau can fall under Ottawa North?
    3) We choose the matches for the brackets in random. That way there is no controversy over whether it is harder for a low handicapper to beat a higher one with lots of strokes given.
    4) There will be a 2 week period in which each round of matches must be completed. This is so we can complete the matches in a reasonable time.
    5) Play from the middle tees. Playing from the back can be pretty tough on some of the short hitters out there. And the long ballers can enjoy the chance at driving greens in 2 on par 5s, or driving some par 4 greens.
    6) If we get more interest before we start we can expand.

Alternates list:
    1) Maverick
    2) MJF
    3) Dasnuts
    4) mberube

Updated list of players:
    mpare 3.3
    Geoff 5.4-5.6
    hoolio 5.6
    longballhitter 6.4
    jvincent 9.3
    Dan Kilbank 13.3
    zoic 19.9
    Rezadue 22.4
    Wilster
    Sharkshooter
    jonf
    jeffc
    big mac
    noback
    Farzin
    BidrieMan
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Rez, just heading into a training course at work for a few hours. I'll pm you when I'm done. I will help any way I can. We'll come up with a format/rules/brackets etc. In the meantime, if you could pm all interested and get them to give you an index. And if anyone says "Well my last 4 or 5 rounds I've shot...." don't listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    You're just trying to bribe your way in aren't you????

Well rez, that makes four. What do you think? I don't think we have enough time to do a 32 man field. I'd say 20 is your max. Going to have to say no at some point. Just a matter now of how to proceed. I'll try to help the best I can. LMK.
    Can’t blame a guy for trying!!

Kidding aside, I didn’t read the other posts so I was not aware that you had 16 players listed already. Count me in if you decide to go to a 32-man competition.

I’m in Toronto next week so if that causes a problem, well count me out.

I’m a 5.6 at the moment.

Mike
    ]

rezadue,

Some comments on your suggestions.

1. For this don't forget that we should be using "course handicaps". When you are allocating strokes, an index of 9.3 translates to an integer number for the particular course/tee you are playing. I'm fine with the 90% adjustment but correct procedure for this would be to take your index, multiply by 0.9, then calculate the course handicaps for the match in question to determine strokes.

2. I'm East I guess but can play pretty much anywhere not too far away.

3/4/5. Fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Kidding aside, I didn’t read the other posts so I was not aware that you had 16 players listed already. Count me in if you decide to go to a 32-man competition.

I’m in Toronto next week so if that causes a problem, well count me out.
    Mike, if you can't make the actual tournament I'll be presumptious and suggest that you might want to host a match at one of the Clublink courses.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    [QUOTE=rezadue]
    5) Play from the middle tees. Playing from the back can be pretty tough on some of the short hitters out there. And the long ballers can enjoy the chance at driving greens in 2 on par 5s, or driving some par 4 greens.

Rezadue,

Although it probably would be simpler if both players played from the same set of tees, it is possible for the two players to play from different sets of tees in a handicapped match play round.

Here are a couple of links with the details if you are interested:

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicappin...q_difftees.htm
    http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap...rent_tees.html

MJF

PS: I'm in the West end.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Mike, if you can't make the actual tournament I'll be presumptious and suggest that you might want to host a match at one of the Clublink courses.

If you want to play, dude, just ask.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    mberube - we didn't even make the list. I say we do a home and home, I am out of Rideauview.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I'm in the Muskokas on the 22nd-23rd-24th but otherwise available to play after work on weekdays or anytime on weekends.

It doesn't matter for me if you categorize me as East-West-North-South. As long as it's within 30 mins of Ottawa I'm fine with it.
    Last edited by LBH; 07-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Since 4 more are interested, we can certainly add it to 20 people. Just gotta talk to Geoff and figure out how.

Reza

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    I stick to a 7.2 HDCI. Although I have no proof. At the mean time it takes only one participant to express his concern and I understandably and respectfully offer my withdrawal.

Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    mberube - we didn't even make the list. I say we do a home and home, I am out of Rideauview.
    Include me in that home and home and we can make it a triple crown thing... Maybe if we could get someone from Rivermead, Ottawa Hunt, Camelot or Royal Ottawa.... hint hint to those people

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Since 4 more are interested, we can certainly add it to 20 people. Just gotta talk to Geoff and figure out how.

Reza
    A bye to the 2nd round for the top 4 is how they do it at my home course

Top 4 from the 1st round or top 4 HDCP'ers?
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    A buy to the 2nd round for the top 4 is how they do it at my home course

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Isn't that what I've been saying. So not sure why you are suggesting I'm tryin to outsmart myself. Rich, everyone knows I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just trying to give some structure. I know this format hurts the low capper if the high capper plays well. The 80% method is just a way to prevent sandbagging like I said. But I'm not worried about that here. I never said it had to be this way, just offering up an idea. Ultimately its up to rez as to how he wants to do this. I'm just suggesting ideas. We do it two ways at our club. We seed according to qualifying scores, and we have seeded according to handicaps. Let us know how you want to do it rez.
    I'm not saying you're not smart Geoff, I'm saying "don't fix what ain't broke". Percentage adjustments would work just fine if you were dealing with fractions of a stroke ("looks like you get .76 strokes on this hole"), but it doesn't. There are whole strokes involved, and any reduction to someones handicap entitlement is ultimately more damaging to the high handicapper and gives an unfair advantage to low cappers. Those one, two, or three strokes that the high handicapper deserves to have could mean the difference between victory and defeat, and that's ultimately unfair. It's like being forced to bring a knife to a gunfight. The rules are in place for the protection of the entire field, as well as the individual golfer.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I want to play Hautes Plaines or other CL courses anytime.

The thing is maybe we should give an option for a player to refuse a course if they feel it is too much for them. I just want to make sure we do not make it so high handicappers have to deal with extreme "target golf" conditions. This can be discouraging when you are playing a match, plus loosing balls left right and center because the course is foreign and so tough to play 1st time.

I am in the west end, but I will play ALMOST anywhere.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Top 4 from the 1st round or top 4 HDCP'ers?
    top 4 hdcp'ers

Updated list:

mpare 3.3 - Ottawa West
    Geoff(Geoff) 5.4-5.6 - Ottawa West
    hoolio 5.6
    mberube(Mike) 5.6 - Ottawa North
    Dasnuts 6.0
    Farzin(Farzin) 6.1
    longballhitter 6.4 - Open
    MJF 7.4 - West End
    jvincent 9.3
    jeffc 12.8
    Dan Kilbank(Dan) 13.3
    jonf(Jon) 18.5
    zoic(Kevin) 19.9
    Rezadue(Reza) 22.4 - Ottawa West
    Maverick 26.6 - Ottawa North
    Wilster(Wil)
    Sharkshooter
    big mac
    noback
    BidrieMan

Alternate:
    Roland(Trevor)
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 07-13-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information