100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    c'mon boys...this is for fun. Local knowledge or not. I'd rather not have to drive to Pakenham or some place in the west end to play one of these....I'm sure with the 50 ish courses in this area, we could agree on one!
    Just throwing out a few ideas , thats all , but i'll play anywhere if we can get this match play thing together , can any of the computer boffs out there help us out with a format for posting results and registration?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    How am I going to get 20 rounds in by spring? Never been close to that in a year yet.

Oh well, I have my score card from yesterday - that's 1.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    i don't think you need a total of 20 cards for the handicap , it adjusts everytime you put a card in , i'm not sure of the way it works , i'm too stoopid.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You only need 5 for a hcp. 20 is best though.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    By all counts we already have 13 people interested already:

Rezadue
    Geoff
    Wilster
    Sharkshooter
    zoic
    mpare
    hoolio
    jonf
    jvincent
    jeffc
    big mac
    longballhitter
    noback

16 for this year sounds good to me. If we play single elimination matches and give 2 weeks per round we should have a champion within 8 weeks. That sounds about right to me. I have never organized such an event, so if someone wants to help I don't mind organizing it.

Let's see if we can get 3 more people to make the round of 16 complete. Those who are intersted, if you don't know your current handicap try to recall your last bunch of rounds and enter it so you can get a starting idea.

Reza
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    OK, I am ready. I entered as many of my games as I could find or remember, and most did not get adjusted, since I was not keeping a handicap to start. Anyway it is close to the 20 I expected, 19.9 LOL. I guess now that I will be adjusting for handicap, my scores will come down 3-5 strokes per game on average.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I'm a 6.4 right now. I can prove it by providing a printout of my scoring record.

rezadue - it should be simple to organize. randomly pair up people in matches, post it somewhere on a website (most likely a forum thread here - maybe Dan could reserve one just for this), give people deadline for matches.

Usually handicap match play you get one stroke per hole for each one of the most difficult holes until you get to the hdcp difference with a maximum of 2 strokes per hole.

All matches respect RCGA rules and local course rules.

That should cover it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I don't think it should be random. Seed them according to caps and let #1 play 16, 2 play 15 and so on. Gives it more of a challenge and structure. I wouldn't want to see mpare (who I think probably has the lowest cap of the above) play myself or LBH first (we're both around the same cap). I'd rather have the option of the two best players (cap wise anyways) potentially playing each other in the finals.

Not sure if I can get a printout, but I can have my club owner or pro sign off for me. I don't recall seeing a printer near our computer at the club.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I don't know about others, but I'm not really too worried about people fudging their handicaps for this thing. I do agree that everyone should have one, so that they can give an accurate one (for instance, I just signed up for the handicapping thing today, and turned out to be about 5 strokes lower than I thought ), but I don't think we should be to worried about showing proof.

Also, I like the idea of seeding. It will make my run at the championship that much more glorious having to go through all those low handicappers.

Geoff, that works too. I just thought random would mix things up more and could provide some surprises but you are right, the top 2 should have a chance to duke it out at the end... This means we're not gonna give strokes? It will be straight up?

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    That is a good way of doing it.
    Food for thought .... maybe for the first round to help with issues of where to play, players can be matched geographicly, then look seeding by rank for the second round, based perhaps on the outcome of the first round.
    Unorthodox I suppose, but might help get the ball rolling quicker.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

We will give strokes, you'll have to. Its only fair. Just makes the lower guys work harder.

As for the ladder, seedings are only good for the first round, after that, you just play the winner of the next match that is in your bracket. I'll try to find an example to show everyone. It should be fun.

jonf, with the recent discussions on this board about legitimacy of caps we will need proof. We are all friends here and the last thing we want is anyone to question another's ability. And by no means is this a jab at anyone, its just a way to keep it fair. And if someone wants to fudge their cap for a fun tourney then they really should take a long look at themselves in the mirror. There is nothing on the line and it isn't going to cost a thing except for a green fee you'd normally pay anyways. Just this way, its gives a little purpose to your round.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Fair enough. We wouldn't want to get into a huge controversy about the winner of our no-fee, bragging-right-only-tournament being a sandbagger

BirdieMan
    well i guess if everyone is in... count me in too

It would be set up as follows, brackets in parentheses:

Round 1

(1) 1 vs 16 and 8 vs 9 in one bracket

(2) 2 vs 15 and 7 vs 10 in one bracket

(3) 3 vs 14 and 6 vs 11 in one bracket

(4) 4 vs 13 and 5 vs 12 in the last bracket

Round 2

Winners of matches in (1) play

Winners of matches in (2) play

Winners of matches in (3) play

Winners of matches in (4) play

Round 3

Winner of round 2 (1) plays winner of round 2 (4)

Winner of round 2 (2) plays winner of round 2 (3)

Round 4 (Finals)

Winners of round 3 matches face off for bragging rights.

Makes sense?!?!?

I suggest making the finals a 36-hole event if both finalists agree to it. The finalists could do it on one day or separate days (within 1 week to keep it close).

I'll play too.

Alright guys,

It looks like we have the round of 16 set. Here are the players:
    Rezadue
    Geoff
    Wilster
    Sharkshooter
    zoic
    mpare
    hoolio
    jonf
    jvincent
    jeffc
    big mac
    longballhitter
    noback
    Dan Kilbank
    Farzin
    BidrieMan

Now we need to know people's updated handicaps as of today so we can seed them.
    Last edited by rezadue; 07-13-2006 at 07:10 AM.

BTW, I guess if we are playing 1 vs. 16, I am likely to matchup against mpare right away!

Please do not embarass me too badly as I royally suck!!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My handicap index at the moment is 3.3, but I'll take as many strokes as I can get.

I will be away for a week, so if someone is looking for a match before next Wednesday, I won't be available. After that, there should be no problems.

Take!!! You mean give. My HDCP at the moment is 22 so I get a hefty 18-19 stroke advantage against you. The sad thing is I am still likely to lose 10 & 7 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    My handicap index at the moment is 3.3, but I'll take as many strokes as I can get.

I will be away for a week, so if someone is looking for a match before next Wednesday, I won't be available. After that, there should be no problems.

Can't remember exactly, but its 5.4-5.6. I'm up there tomorrow Rez, I'll get you an updated one.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Take!!! You mean give. My HDCP at the moment is 22 so I get a hefty 18-19 stroke advantage against you. The sad thing is I am still likely to lose 10 & 7 !!!
    Now c'mon Rez. Seeing as you'll probably end up getting a stroke a hole, just play smart and you'll do just fine. Wait for his mistakes. That's the interesting part of match play.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Actually, my personal experience is that the likelihood of a low handicapper winning this kind of event is very low. In all my years (41) of playing such events at various clubs, I cannot recall any one of them being won by a low handicapper. I have my views on why this happens, but that is the subject matter for another thread. My point is, that if you hang in there, there is no reason for you not to have a chance. Let me give you an example. After my wife started playing golf, we would play match play. I would give her two strokes on every hole save for the par 5s where she would get three. I only beat her once or twice and that was when I shot in the 60s. Remember, losing a hole with a 10 it is the same as losing it to an eagle when you scored a net birdie. Just go on to the next hole and forget about the last one. And, above all else, have fun.

You are exactly right mpare. Have fun. I fully expect to someone with around a 13 cap (Mr. Kilbank possibly) win this thing. Match play with strokes alotted makes it real tough for a low cap if the person he's playing against has a good day and shoots a couple below their cap.

And I know what you mean about having your "theory" of why low cappers don't tend to win these things. I think you are refering to the 13 capper who goes out and shoots his "best ever" 75, but we won't go there today. I've heard the stories and have actually seen it in person. But we're all friends here with nothing but manly pride and bragging rights on the line. So we don't need to worry about any of that now do we?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    And I know what you mean about having your "theory" of why low cappers don't tend to win these things. I think you are refering to the 13 capper who goes out and shoots his "best ever" 75, but we won't go there today. I've heard the stories and have actually seen it in person. But we're all friends here with nothing but manly pride and bragging rights on the line. So we don't need to worry about any of that now do we?
    I prefer to assume that everyone will be accurate with respect to their estimates, having due regard to Equitable Stroke Controls, etc. But here is my real point. We have all played in events where the low net is in the low 60s. For me to do that, I'd have to shoot a 65. It could happen. I've done it once in my life, but the possibilities for such anomalies happening is much much greater for higher handicaps. Why that is, I leave to others to figure out. For my part, I can only ssume that it must have something to do with the air.

Of course, the air!!! That's the answer. Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?

Good answer mpare.

I do see your point, and if were putting some prizes on the line or charging an entry fee we could always use the 80% of true cap formula, so say for example if you were to actually play rezadue he would only get 80% of his cap difference between yours. So he wouldn't actually get the stroke a hole it appears now, he'd only get 14 strokes. Its just a method I've heard of to try to level the playing if there is a fear of sandbagging. But in this case, who really cares. Its a way for forum members to meet and have some fun with each other. I'm sure there is going to be some foursomes where two matches will be going on. Should be a blast. I just hope I don't draw Mr. Kilbank in the first round. He'll be on such a high and full of confidence after his win against "Richard".

This is all in good fun. To be honest I want to participate because it sounds like a fun event, I get to meet some forum members and I get a chance to play with someone who shoots in low 70s!!!

I suspect I am going to be the person with the highest HDCP and I think mpare has the lowest HDCP so I think we will pair up. Which is just fine since he lives in Nepean and I live in Kanata.

I could not care less if I win or lose. So if we want to use the 80% rule, it is fine by me. At the moment however, my handicap is 22.4. It was lower earlier, and I even had a couple of 91s in there (my best), but then my putting disappeared and I am shooting closer to 98-99 now. Out of curiosity though, if counting HDCP into the Equitable Stroke Control makes it extra difficult for low handicappers to win, wouldn't a totally random playing order make more sense?

One question though. Which tees do we play from? I would like to suggest the middle tees, but whatever the majority rules is fine.

So far the HDCP list is as follows:

mpare 3.3
    Geoff 5.4-5.6
    longballhitter 6.4
    Dan Kilbank 13.3
    zoic 19.9
    Rezadue 22.4
    Wilster
    Sharkshooter
    hoolio
    jonf
    jvincent
    jeffc
    big mac
    noback
    Farzin
    BidrieMan

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I prefer to assume that everyone will be accurate with respect to their estimates, having due regard to Equitable Stroke Controls, etc. But here is my real point. We have all played in events where the low net is in the low 60s. For me to do that, I'd have to shoot a 65. It could happen. I've done it once in my life, but the possibilities for such anomalies happening is much much greater for higher handicaps. Why that is, I leave to others to figure out. For my part, I can only ssume that it must have something to do with the air.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    My current index is 5.6

I'd also have to agree with the 80% rule. But that's just me.

Anyone decide how long each Round will have to be completed.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Thread Information