100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Forum match play tourney

Rez' reply in another thread has given me an idea. Its a little late in the season now, but maybe an idea for next year. Not to be an official website event, but what about a match play tourney. Open to say 32 players. Limited to courses within a half hour drive of Ottawa (seeing that most members are actually from the Ottawa core area). I'd look after it. Say there is a sign up date. The first 32 to enter with legit caps (either via the OG site or their home club) get in. Want to limit the number so it doesn't drag out for the whole season. No entry fee, no prizes. Just for bragging rights. After the sign up, we'll assign a seeding based on caps. Then we'll sort players into a tourney bracket (#1 plays #32 and so on). The two players arrange to meet at any course and play. They report the results to me and the tourney progresses throughout the season. And when the last match is played the winner will have some bragging rights. Now I know there are lots of players that won't be able to compete, so by no means is this serious. Just a fun little event to get some people into the competitive spirit. LMK what you all think. Could be something I'll work on.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    By limiting it to people with "legit" handicaps you take all the fun out it, as in me!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

You are right zoic, it does limit to some people, but all you have to do is use the handicap software on this site. Its that easy. It would be a good enough indicator to get into this tourney. Not sure why more people don't use it. But I would have to have some sort of proof other than someone's word. Just to make things fair.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

OK, I will check it out then. I have played over 20 games this year and kept at least 10 of the scorecards. I can remember most of the scores too, so I will try to set it up and see what happens. I figure I should be about a 20, but really in match play I could care less how much better the opponent is, mostly I have 2-4 REALLY BAD holes that drive me over 90, but I really play like mid eighties without those poopy holes.

I kept a handicap when I was a member years ago, but I found having to make adjustments all the time down to handicap did not really reflect the true score. I understand that is how it works, it just does not feel right to me is all. Last thing I want it to be called a sandbagger again.

[/COLOR]Kevin

I hear you. But like I said, there's nothing on the line here except bragging rights. So I'm sure some won't even bother with it if it is to materialize. Its just for fun, but we need a cap to make it fair. Start entering your scores, see where you actually are. It might surprise you.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Count me in and it is not too late in the season! Let's get busy.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

If someone else wants to take on the task this season feel free. I unfortunately don't have the time this year. But I would be more than willing to take on the task for next year.

Maybe the people do not use it because it is broken. Geez, I cannot get in with my password, I tried registering and it says I am registered (like I thought), so then it says if I lost my password I need to request it by e-mail. Unfortunately I turned over every stone and found no where to do that.

So, where do I go to fix this irritating little setback right after I get another pail of coffee to settle in for a long night of entering these numbers.

[/COLOR]Kevin

PM Dan or Nat on this one. Can't help you there.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Dag. Geoff, does not have time to organize a golf event!! What is the world coming to?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

No time to organize, but always time to play. I'd be in.

I see you edited your reply. I was a little quick on the draw. Either way, if this happens, I'm still in.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So, where do I go to fix this irritating little setback right after I get another pail of coffee to settle in for a long night of entering these numbers.
    Just email me and we'll sort it out.

OK, thanks Dan. I finally found where to request the password, but it loadsa page with 2 pictures, one of a working clock, and another a bunch of jumbled clock pieces, with under contruction written there.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's not up yet, just email me.

Done.

rezadue, I am interested too. I doubt I can take on the organization of it all, but I am willing to assist in the process as much as possible.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Hey guys , i would love to play a bit of bragging rights matchplay , maybe a league or something might help and simply pick who you want to play , post the result then see what position you place on a scoreboard or something like it.
    It could be pretty straight forward if you have a thread or table to post your results.
    Any thoughts?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Count me in. Should be fun. A challenge ladder would be equally enjoyable.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I found a site with brackets to track this. If someone wants to decide on the rules such as length of time to complete a round (level) in the bracket... 1 to 2 weeks likely. Also who would get course preference in a match? Would a cancellation lead to an automatic forfiet?

There are plenty of guys on here to like to argue about that stuff. Once its decided I don't mind tracking it.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm in, but I leave at the end of august. I'd certainly join if I'm back next summer though.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Sounds good to me too.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    you could pick of a list of certain courses , say 4 different ones , meaning that you have to play all 4 at least once , and cancellations forfeit your match ,also official handicaps posted before match .

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'd prefer to let those playing decide where they want to play. that being said, I would be up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I'd prefer to let those playing decide where they want to play. that being said, I would be up for this.
    Its just a bit fairer than going to play someone at their own club ,local knowledge is an advantage if you have it.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Can "old farts" join too? The handicap system here works great---you do not use the same password as for the forum--use the one for t-times--I think or maybe its the other way around---

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster
    you could pick of a list of certain courses , say 4 different ones , meaning that you have to play all 4 at least once , and cancellations forfeit your match ,also official handicaps posted before match .
    I was acutally getting at if two people cant decide where to play for some reason or another who has the ultimate decision. I understand that a 29 handicap might not want to take on a 2 handicap from the tips at Eagle Creek and conversly the two handicap probably wouldnt have much fun fireing around Pineview (yes I like to pick on pineview).

Thats a tough one but I guess in general, the people i've met here are good natured and I doubt that there would be too many petty arguements like that.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

c'mon boys...this is for fun. Local knowledge or not. I'd rather not have to drive to Pakenham or some place in the west end to play one of these....I'm sure with the 50 ish courses in this area, we could agree on one!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    We have our match play tourny already in progress on the NCGT. The brakets are really easy to follow. Ours is double elimination so guys can play more than one round. Two match minimum. The matches are being played on courses decided and agreed to by both players. So far not one problem and as one said before, most are easy to get along with.

We have set a 2 week playing time frame so guys can get together to meet both guys schedules and with only 2 matches so far that went beyond the time frame and players took themselves out of it to let the other move on.

see more here

NCGT Match Play
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Count me in - as long as the time to play matches between brackets is long enough, I'm all for it.

You could also do "straight up" matches with A, B and C classes...

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    We have our match play tourny already in progress on the NCGT. The brakets are really easy to follow. Ours is double elimination so guys can play more than one round. Two match minimum. The matches are being played on courses decided and agreed to by both players. So far not one problem and as one said before, most are easy to get along with.

We have set a 2 week playing time frame so guys can get together to meet both guys schedules and with only 2 matches so far that went beyond the time frame and players took themselves out of it to let the other move on.

see more here

NCGT Match Play
    I wish I had have gotten in on that one. Oh well...next year.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I wish I had have gotten in on that one. Oh well...next year.
    If we get enough interest, we can go to 32 players. But for this year we set it at 16 players to see how it goes over and so far it's been a GREAT addition.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Thread Information