CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Backswing transition to the downswing.

Make your backswing and then start your downswing while your upper-body is still turning in your backswing. This creates enormous torsion in your back muscles and is supposedly where major power is generated. This also prevents the dreadful OTT move that most amateur does.

I have read this in a book once or twice in the past, tried it and felt different. I was talking to a teaching Pro last week and he was talking about this same motion. This teaching Pro knows a well decorated PGA touring Pro. He told me that that’s what most long hitting on tour need to feel in their swing.

Has anyone else ever hear or try this?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Make your backswing and then start your downswing while your upper-body is still turning in your backswing. This creates enormous torsion in your back muscles and is supposedly where major power is generated. This also prevents the dreadful OTT move that most amateur does.

I have read this in a book once or twice in the past, tried it and felt different. I was talking to a teaching Pro last week and he was talking about this same motion. This teaching Pro knows a well decorated PGA touring Pro. He told me that that’s what most long hitting on tour need to feel in their swing.
    Regardless of swing type, I would wager that almost all of us make a move similar to what you described above, to some extent. I don't have the greatest wrist kock angle retention, (conservation of angular momentum ) however, video shows that my downswing swing begins 5 video frames before my backswing ends. Because I lack the flexibility that a lot of good golfers have, (age sure does take its toll) I just cannot create the small left arm/shaft angle in the first place.

Club head speed comes from the golfers ability to move his arms as fast as he can on the downswing, ON PLANE, while retaining the wrist kock angle until the last split second, when inertia straightens the right arm. Some golfers like Sergio, Ben Hogan, Moe Norman and many Tour pros and long drive champions, are extremely flexible and can develop the lag necessary to hit it long, by allowing the body to start the DS before the arms are finished the BS..

Beginning the DS before the BS is completed is mostly instinctive. Throw a ball. Your body moves forward long before the arm finishes going back and you don't think about it. The golf swing is similar. Some of you just have the timing and flexibility necessary to do it better than the rest of us.

Not in my case. I have always learned to pause a fraction at the top before I start the DS. When I try this move I feel enormous torsion in my back muscles and I feel like my body wants to explode into the ball. I would like to add that my upper body is extremely flexible. I have a very big shoulder turn.

Obviously it’s hard to control cause it a new move (Not that I’m practicing it). I was just wondering if anybody else feels this torsion in there transition.

Mike

Sand Wedge Corkscrew is on a distinguished road Corkscrew's Avatar

Mike

The reason that you start the DS while still in the BS is that, to make the transition, you relax your back muscles when they become hyperextended, thereby signalling that that is as far as you can coil. When this resistance then relaxation occurs, the momentum of the club will cause a further partial turn in the BS. Then the hands pull
    club down the swing plane, generaring swing speed based on how far the clubhead travels.
    The power of a golf swing is created by the length and speed of the swing arc, the abdominal muscle twist, the thigh muscle drive, having both elbows straight at impact, plus a full, high follow through or pivot(as per individual ability). By swinging through the ball rather than trying to time a wrist break at impact, a lot of distance is added to a shot based on the fact that the velocity does not end at the ball.
    At least that is how I used to hit the bombs. Those were the days...

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    When I am hitting my best this is the exact type of action that occurs. I smoothly swing back and then smoothly start the lower body back the other way. Everything else will eventually will come along for the ride and almost pull the club down from the inside. Of course the best results happen when it is all a smooth continuous motion. If I try to force it things sour (imagine that). Also, I don't so much feel as if I am coiling but instead it feels like it automatically generates the lag (not just wrist kock) needed to make a good swing. But I am not a big hitter (240yd driver carry) and rely heavily on a smooth steady tempo.

If I pause at the top and everything "stops" then I find it tough to get everything started in the correct sequence and I will tend towards a OTT "hit" move with the arms ):

Lob Wedge hackitup is on a distinguished road
    I am new with these terms...what does OTT stand for?
    Thanks

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    ott = OVER THE TOP I assume.

Over the top / slicer

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road

Mike
    the swing is a lot like hitting a hammer on a nail. try to hammer with a pause before hammering down. it'll be much more difficult to do and you probably won't hit that nail as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimble
    the swing is a lot like hitting a hammer on a nail. try to hammer with a pause before hammering down. it'll be much more difficult to do and you probably won't hit that nail as hard.
    I think my pause at the top works fine since I have a 4.5 index and I hit the ball 275y consistently. When I say pause, it’s something I feel but is probably invisible to the naked eye.

I was just wondering if anybody was deliberately trying to continue their backswing when the downswing has started. I feel enormous torque in my back muscled and core when I try it but I also feel that my swing is less controllable.

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    I think my pause at the top works fine since I have a 4.5 index and I hit the ball 275y consistently. When I say pause, it’s something I feel but is probably invisible to the naked eye.

I was just wondering if anybody was deliberately trying to continue their backswing when the downswing has started. I feel enormous torque in my back muscled and core when I try it but I also feel that my swing is less controllable.
    yeah, it wouldn't be something i'd deliberately do...

it's more along the lines of feeling the swing as one whole piece, rather than two halves...

check out bubba's swing:

http://ping.com/tour_index.html

you can play with slider to see what i mean. his wrists do not become fully flexed until he's already on his way down. this implies that the actual downswing motion is what causes his wrist cock, not the backswing motion. to get this feel, you've gotta begin your downswing before your wrists have gone all the way to full flex.

Thread Information