CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Puring

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Every time I hear a clubmaker say "Ever wonder why your favourite club is _______? Don't you want all your clubs to be like that?", then I know I'm being conned.
    Until I understood what the purpose of asking the above question I would have been a sceptic, too, however, now that I have learned some about the "why," and have assembled two sets of irons from the results of this question, I have become a believer.

Instead of the above question I would ask, "With what iron do you consistently hit your best shots?" As my favourite club is my driver and my favourite shot is a short, high, flop shot, neither of these two clubs would be used to make a matched set of irons.

I chose my 8 iron, matched all the other irons to it, in terms of total weight, balance point, MOI and so on. Swingweight was not a factor. With about 15 games under my belt with these clubs, the most discernible difference is in the 3,4,5 irons. I have never hit these clubs consistently well over the years, and now, all of a sudden, I can. I blame this improvement on the clubs which now "swing" and feel, just like my 8 iron.

Don't you want all your clubs to be like that?", then I know I'm being conned! If a clubmaker made this statement to me and assembled a swingweight matched set, then, yes, I would be being conned. However, if they were going to be MOI matched, instead, then I would know that I was going to get clubs that would be better matched than off the rack stuff is. It is good to be sceptial about some of the things that one hears these days, but I am glad I have an open mind, too, because my ball striking has benefited from it.

The only "What is your favourite club?" clubmaker that I know of is Eric Cook from Swing Sync. If I could not do the assembly myself, and could afford it, I would have him make my clubs, because I know that the product would be good, and that I would not be being conned.

I just wish my putter was my favourite club, for the right reasons.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pagman
    Spining ...flo'ing...blah...blah...blah...If you want to shoot under 85 consistently....spend your practice time around the greens with your wedges and putter....practice your short games...can a clubfitter help you with that!!!!

For all you club fitting guru's...can you spine or flo your putter? Ha! Ha!
    Funny you asked... A spined putter shaft is more consistant ! I tried it and it works... As for wedges, it is a must to get a consistant set.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Funny you asked... A spined putter shaft is more consistant ! I tried it and it works... As for wedges, it is a must to get a consistant set.
    I agree but how do you spine a double bend shaft?

Perhaps spining several of them until you find one with the NBP in the desired location.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I agree but how do you spine a double bend shaft?

Perhaps spining several of them until you find one with the NBP in the desired location.
    Try finding the spine first and bending them after
    .... will not work with a graphite shaft though !
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Apparently Mister Lazzal has passed away. So rest in peace my friend.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Apparently Mister Lazzal has passed away. So rest in peace my friend.
    Andre,
    I saw that you just saw this at the other place today...sorry for not thinking of letting you know.

a true loss of a passionate and knowledgeable man!

Gap Wedge careyhrrs67 is on a distinguished road careyhrrs67's Avatar
    to better understand how spining or puring clubs will improve you consistantcy and accuracy, watch this vidio!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOEnprofIM

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I love when old threads show back up from no where and when club making guys play pokey chest. Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by careyhrrs67 View Post
    to better understand how spining or puring clubs will improve you consistantcy and accuracy, watch this vidio!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOEnprofIM
    Again, this "spine" finder find the BEND in a shaft, not the spine.

Attach a $4 laser pointer to the tip end. Clamp the butt securely. Twang the shaft horizontally. Keep rotating the shaft until the image "line" is FLAT instead of oval.

His spine finder is useless but his shaft puller is apparently fantastic.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Again, this "spine" finder find the BEND in a shaft, not the spine.

Attach a $4 laser pointer to the tip end. Clamp the butt securely. Twang the shaft horizontally. Keep rotating the shaft until the image "line" is FLAT instead of oval.

His spine finder is useless but his shaft puller is apparently fantastic.
    $1 at at he local dollarama I have seen this video many many times. I have yet to be convinced that this is what happens during the swing i.e the shaft is allowed to rotate. Again clubmakers have debated over this for a long time and the only thing they agree on is FLO. The above procedure seems useless if you have to FLO the shaft after. Why not just FLO right away. BTW JB builds beautiful NF4's.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information