100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Havalat to Chicago

Martin Havalat and Smolinski to Chicago. Havalat, $16 million over 3 years.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Great deal. Martin had no intentions of staying in OTT at any price.

The silver lining is OTT landing Priessing. He's a solid, well developed hockey player. He'll add to the Sens this year.

Not to mention a bit of a salary dump for OTT.

R35

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    GOOD RIDDANCE !!!

Good deal for Ottawa...getting another top-4 D-man was a huge priority.

maybe these guys will actually WANT to play for Ottawa.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    CAP CAP CAP

Sounds like they unloaded 2 good players for a bunch of low priced talent with potential upside. Had to happen though due to the cap. Same as dumping Hossa and deVries last year for Heatly - that move saved something like $3M/yr and this one saves about $7M at Havlat's new obsecene price tag of $6M/yr.

Bogie ghaakman is on a distinguished road ghaakman's Avatar
    No way Havlat (Yashin #2) deserves $6 a year. I'd be surprised if he lasts the 3 years in Chicago before getting traded elsewhere. Enjoy your time in Chi Marty, not sorry to see you go !!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm undecided on this one. Its a good trade IF they go out and pick up a good forward, like a Peca, or another power forward - if not, a wasted deal, as they could have gotten more for him. The real shame is, of all the players moved in this deal, the one I would have really wanted was Bell. He's just the type of player Ottawa desperately needs - a big bruising forward who mixes it up in the corners, and who can score. Instead we got, essentially, three potentials.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Unless Muckler has a big deal in the works for the money he has saved, I'm afraid Ottawa is no more than a middle of the pack team now. Redden must be kicking himself for re-signing with Ottawa. It could be a long winter.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I beg to differ. they played the majority of the season without Havlat so no big loss there. So really they've lost Chara, Pothier, Smolinski and Hasek and gained Corvo, Gerber, and Priessing. Changes were needed. Heck, if they finish middle of the pack in the regular season, I'll take that. I think they will finish in the top 2-3 in the east this year.

Regardless, they are under a cap and Havlat didn't fit and wanted out. That's the price of the new CB agreement and having a ton of quality young talent on this team.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    ...First off im a leafs fan....with that outta the way.. I'll continue.

You sens fans should be so happy about this trade for a couple reasons but heres the main reason... EGO..the sens have way too much of this... how many lonerangers do you need on a team?...spezza, havlat, heatly, chara... all looking for their name in lights... with 2 of your biggest heads out of the dressing room i think you sens fans will have more cheer about come playoff time......

2nd reason..cap space....and heres why.. GERBER---great olympics.. pretty solid season.. not sure if he's a stanley cup winner... sens make a few prospect signings to fill in the line up.. add depth what have you.. leave space for trade dead line time... deal off a prospect or draft picks for a #1 goalie that can win a cup..

Dont get me wrong though...sens dont stand a chance against the leafs with kubina, McCabe, Kaberla and Gill on the blue line and raycroft gaurding the pipes... and perhaps...dare I say... Peca in the near future??... HA... is it September yet?..

Go Leafs Go... Sens suck haha
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer

Dont get me wrong though...sens dont stand a chance against the leafs with kubina, McCabe, Kaberla and Gill on the blue line and raycroft gaurding the pipes... and perhaps...dare I say... Peca in the near future??... HA... is it September yet?..

You sir are no longer allowed to play a round of golf with me. That was just mean.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer
    ...First off im a leafs fan....with that outta the way.. I'll continue.

You sens fans should be so happy about this trade for a couple reasons but heres the main reason... EGO..the sens have way too much of this... how many lonerangers do you need on a team?...spezza, havlat, heatly, chara... all looking for their name in lights... with 2 of your biggest heads out of the dressing room i think you sens fans will have more cheer about come playoff time......

2nd reason..cap space....and heres why.. GERBER---great olympics.. pretty solid season.. not sure if he's a stanley cup winner... sens make a few prospect signings to fill in the line up.. add depth what have you.. leave space for trade dead line time... deal off a prospect or draft picks for a #1 goalie that can win a cup..

Unfortunately (or Fortunately for Sens fans), the Leafs have spent a significant chunk (17M) of their cap on an average at best D, with an unknown goalie and no one to put the puck in the net up front. Buyouts to Tie and Eddie aren't helping matters but it was needed for the long term health of the team. Add to that the 6.8M they are paying Sundin and they still haven't found a decent forward to play with him. Expect another long tough season for the Blue and White.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    Unfortunately (or Fortunately for Sens fans), the Leafs have spent a significant chunk (17M) of their cap on an average at best D, with an unknown goalie and no one to put the puck in the net up front. Buyouts to Tie and Eddie aren't helping matters but it was needed for the long term health of the team. Add to that the 6.8M they are paying Sundin and they still haven't found a decent forward to play with him. Expect another long tough season for the Blue and White.
    No kidding, talk about overpaying overrated overtheage players All that backed up by a huge gamble on a goalie. He might get back to his original form, but I doubt it.

Either way, Go Habs Go, go sens go, LEAFS SUCKS

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Either way, Go Habs Go, go sens go, LEAFS SUCKS
    Now you on the other hand sir are welcome to play a round of golf with me anytime you want.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    To all you Leaf haters out there, I hope you three putt every green for the rest of the year

GO LEAFS GO

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    To all you Leaf haters out there, I hope you three putt every green for the rest of the year

GO LEAFS GO
    Now that would be a improvement over my current game!

I tend to agree that the Sens are just a middle of the pack team right now. That said, I predicted after the loss to Buffalo that the only way the Sens will ever make a playoff run is if they come in as an underdog - squeaking in at the last minute. They played much better hockey in the playoffs when they came in at 7th or 8th - they played their hearts out, and played as a team. I think if they can finally make a move for a couple of powerful, gritty forwards (they have NEVER had a legitimate power forward, the most essential and potentially dominant force in the game), they can put themselves in a good position to do something in the playoffs.

As for the Leafs, I must say, I'm impressed with what they've done this season. The Domi buyout was a bit of a mystery, as they had nothing to lose letting him try out and potentially earn a spot, but other than that, I think they have done well. Raycroft had a bad year, but has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the years to come. Landing him may have been one of the best moves the LeaVes have come up with in a long time. With Kubina, Gill, and an ever improving Kaberle (who, it kills me to say, is becoming a VERY solid D-man), they have a pretty good core of defencemen. They gave McCabe WAY too much money, but according to TSN, CBC, and most of Toronto, he invented the one-timer from the point, so apparently he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf

As for the Leafs, I must say, I'm impressed with what they've done this season. The Domi buyout was a bit of a mystery, as they had nothing to lose letting him try out and potentially earn a spot, but other than that, I think they have done well. Raycroft had a bad year, but has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the years to come. Landing him may have been one of the best moves the LeaVes have come up with in a long time. With Kubina, Gill, and an ever improving Kaberle (who, it kills me to say, is becoming a VERY solid D-man), they have a pretty good core of defencemen. They gave McCabe WAY too much money, but according to TSN, CBC, and most of Toronto, he invented the one-timer from the point, so apparently he deserves it.
    I'm not sure how it is impressive? Buying out Belfour and Domi. Those were no brainers. Other than overpaying McCabe and Kubina and signing an ok dman in Gill and a very iffy goalie in Raycroft the Leafs are in rebuilding mode, at least until they can dump Sundin's contract and get something for that 7M. As for Domi, the guy is done and any $ spent on him is a waste of cash. McCabe is one dimensional, unless you count taking stupid penalties. Oh, and the rest of the league is on to him. His career year was last year. The Leafs will battle for a 8th place again this year. Kaberle is a solid D-man. That I will agree.

I think everyone has been way to quick to count out Raycroft. Look at his rookie season. Calder trophy, and a legit contender for the Vezina. Played poorly last year, but everyone has an off season. The reason I say the Domi buyout is a mystery is because they aren't really saving much money. They save a couple hundred thousand, but his contract still counts against the cap. They might has well have given him a last shot at making the team. All it would cost them is an extra 2 or 3 hundred thousand, which the Leafs can easily afford. Kubina is a really good defenseman, and as we have seen this year, even with the cap, the only way to sign a free agent is to overpay for them. McCabe, I agree is highly overpaid - he's a one trick pony, and his trick only worked for the first 3 months of the season. Hal Gill is an imposing presence. Anyway, I'm not saying the leafs are about to win the cup, but you have to give credit where credit is due. I hate them, but I think they have had a fairly good off-season to date - better than Ottawa's - they have addressed their biggest needs, at goalie and defence. Sure, they'd love to get rid of Sundin's contract, but nobody is going to take him for that price. They're just going to work around that contract until its done.

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    That's my question. How come some players who are bought out, their entire salaries are counted against the cap but other Players like Guerin who are bought out, only have a fraction of their salaries against the cap?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    This is clearly a salary dump, dissapointed to lose a player of his caliber but perhaps better to lose him now than in a year for nothing. Line up looks like this I guess.

Schaeffer-Spezza-Heatley
    Eaves-Fisher-Alfredsson
    Luttinen-Vermette-Neil
    Schubert-Kelly-McGratton

Redden-Preissing
    Philips-Meszaros
    Volchencov-Corvo

Gerber
    Emery

Looks a little thin to me, so hopefully the Sens will be able to sign the Russian trio, Mironov, Atyushov and Kaigodorov, or perhaps bring in another centre. Still it's a pretty good lineup in the new era of the CBA.

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    As a longtime Chicago Fan since i moved to Canada in 1976, i got hooked on Tony Esposito and Stan Makita, and the nice team logo. Anyway i have been sitting patiently waiting for Chicago to make a move this year and am thrilled to have Havlat and i will take Smolinski as well for a veteran presence. In a few years we will have an outstanding defence core with Seabrook and Barker being a strong part of our future. Were not about to win the cup this year or next but if Aucoin and Khabibulin stay healthy we could compete for that last playoff spot. The future is looking bright in Chicago and Havlat will be a part of it. I see at least a 40 goal season from Havlat and hopefully 15 for Smolinski. Go Hawks Go

hmmm...Havlat will have to step up as the #1 player on that team which is pretty weak overall. It will be interesting to see if he is up for it, now that he has his big contract. While I think he is a solid player, it will be interesting to see if he can produce now that he is out of the shadows of the talent laden Sens and playing against the oppositions checking line night in and night out.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Basically Ottawa lost Smolinski (48 points), and Chara (43 points) . Arnasson did nothing last year in Ottawa and Havlat only got 18 points.

They now have Preisling (43 points) and Corvo (40 points). They will add a couple of young guys and they will still be the best team in the east and maybe in the league.

That defense will move the puck a lot faster than any other defense unit in the league.

I am not a Sens fan but they have the best team in the East.

As far as Toronto, they will probably sigh Peca (23 points). He will fit in this over-the-hill staregy of JFJ.

Go Thrashers...

Chambo

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I'm undecided on this one. Its a good trade IF they go out and pick up a good forward, like a Peca, or another power forward - if not, a wasted deal, as they could have gotten more for him. The real shame is, of all the players moved in this deal, the one I would have really wanted was Bell. He's just the type of player Ottawa desperately needs - a big bruising forward who mixes it up in the corners, and who can score. Instead we got, essentially, three potentials.
    Couldn't agree with you more, Mark bell is a more than solid player and will score alot of piont with san jose if he get the chance to play with Thorton and Cheecho.
    Could have scored alot of points with spezza and heatly though.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl
    Basically Ottawa lost Smolinski (48 points), and Chara (43 points) . Arnasson did nothing last year in Ottawa and Havlat only got 18 points.

They now have Preisling (43 points) and Corvo (40 points). They will add a couple of young guys and they will still be the best team in the east and maybe in the league.

That defense will move the puck a lot faster than any other defense unit in the league.

I am not a Sens fan but they have the best team in the East.

As far as Toronto, they will probably sigh Peca (23 points). He will fit in this over-the-hill staregy of JFJ.

Go Thrashers...

Chambo
    You lost a lot more than 18 points with Havlat gone. You cant tell me when this guy is healthy he very well could be a 100 point guy.He was your best player in the playoffs next to Emery. Even if he didnt score in the Buffalo series(neither did the rest of the team).

After all this time after the playoffs have ended sens fans should be willing to admit that Buffalo was a better team then the sens at playoff time and that hey simply lost to a better team.

This deal could be a good one if Muckler spends his extra cash to get a good second line scorer to replace Havlat.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    I think Vermette will be offered the chance of a more offensive role next season, up to him to grab the opportunity.

Bogie ghaakman is on a distinguished road ghaakman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    I think Vermette will be offered the chance of a more offensive role next season, up to him to grab the opportunity.
    and Eaves

"Richard"
    I think it was a great trade. They were saying on the team 1200 that its hard to get anything back for a player that everyone knows is going to be traded.. or a free agent next year. Why would anyone give up anything for this guy? Thats why EDM ripped off anh and IMO ott ripped of CHI. They couldn't possibly afford this guy next year and to even pay him 5mil this season would have been a waste because he would have wanted 6 0r 7 next year

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    I would have signed Havlat for the one year. He is such a sexy player. Sure we'd lose him in a year from now but there will be lots of players in the free agent pool to choose from next summer since alot of players are signing short term contracts anyways with the new CBA. And I'm sure we could have signed someone that is equivalent to Tom Presssing without giving up a Havlat.

And, yes, I understand the salary dump situation but I still would have found room for him if we would have had him for one year at $3M after arbitration.

you don't seem to understand. We couldn't afford him this year. He would have gone to arbitration and gotten between 4 and 5 Mil. Right now the Sens have 35-36M locked up and still have 5 guys to sign...that will cost another 5-6M right there...pushing the cap and leaving no room for manouevering

Thread Information