CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intersectionals

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Intersectionals

Good luck to everyone today in their matches. Let's try not to kill each other out there today!

GarthM

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Good luck to all!

I am really looking forward to it. It looks like the weatherman is on our side too.
    Be sure to post your results when you get home.

Well my first intersectionals experience was memorable. I played OK, considering it was a bit more tension than I am really used to. I've played hundreds of matches with people,about 60 OttawaGolf Tour events and a few dozen odd tourneys, but this was quite different.

The fellas I played with were great. It took about 6 holes for everyone to loosen up and start kibitzing, but it got better and better as the round went on. Thanks to Paul form the Canadian, Larry from NationView and Tom from Roanoke. Great guys I'd play with again in a heartbeat. The few rules decisions we had were quickly and easily sorted out without any hassle. I expected that that to be tough at the intersecionals so that was great.

The round took just over 5 hours, and didn't really feel slow, nobody holding us up or pushing us, but a lot of consideration before each shot. Pretty different that a round that long does not seem brutally slow.

My game, as I said, was not my "A" game, and these guys could play. Plus, I did not get any good kicks at all. I had 4 good shots that took awful kicks, 2 that resulted in penalties. No member's bounces today. I did however win a few holes here and there by making some very satisfying shots.

So now the bad news. I lost to Larry 4 & 3. I lost to Tom 2 & 1 and I tied Paul but I just missed the final putt to win that match, so that putt was worth a point by itself. Oh well, I made just one point for the team.

Unfortunately the next 2 of our groups were shut out and the 4th took 4 points. By then it was 6:00 and NationView was kicking butt with 18 points in the first 3 groups. Most of the players were heading home so there really was not much to do while waiting for all to get in, so we headed home. I expect it's winding up about now.

All in all a great experience and it really felt important. I'll be looking forward to next year all winter. Gotta do better.

Also I'd like to say a special thank you to Steve Shonuck for being a fantastic caddy. He did everything, I cleaned my clubs this morning before heading out and they are probably cleaner now. He was there with a towel to clean my ball on every green, raked the traps, talked me out of silly risks and pointed out options. Joked and had fun and kept it light. Just perfect. It was kinda spooky, but he was so cool. Thanks Steve!

Glad you had fun in your first Intersectionals Dan, it can be a harrowing experience.

Les Vieux Moulins played at Hammond today against Calabogie and Mont Cascades and we won with 40 points over Hammond's 36.

I took six for the first time ever, winning 8&7, 6&5, 6&5. Basically got to walk in from 14 on.

Cheers.

GarthM

You kicked butt fella! Nicely done!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    Glad you had fun in your first Intersectionals Dan, it can be a harrowing experience.

Les Vieux Moulins played at Hammond today against Calabogie and Mont Cascades and we won with 40 points over Hammond's 36.

I took six for the first time ever, winning 8&7, 6&5, 6&5. Basically got to walk in from 14 on.

Cheers.

GarthM
    How did Caca do?? Second? third? forth?

And nice going Garth

Dan congrats on your first ecperiment with intersectionals. All it's hyped up to be
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Anybody know how Greyhawk finished in their class?

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    How did Caca do?? Second? third? forth?

And nice going Garth

Dan congrats on your first ecperiment with intersectionals. All it's hyped up to be
    Caca??? Is that who Guy was caddying for? I think he took 4 points but could be wrong.

G.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    yes cascades did they finish in 2nd and host next year?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Nope. Hammond second, MC third, Calabogie 4th.

Gap Wedge KJP is on a distinguished road KJP's Avatar

H Bracket

Links O Tay finished first with Madawaska runner up. Great day at the Links!

KJP played well enough to sneak in 5 of 6, with a kick in birdie at 18 in front of an energetic home crowd.

A great group of guys. Thanks.

Cheers

kjp

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Intersectionals

I didn't do as well as Garth(we played in the same team) but i took 4 and our team won by 4!. I had my b- game at most but I got lucky here and there. I found out afterward that my new clubs was not as I ordered it(just bought and got a new set on Friday and the manufacturer sgrew up my lie and loft adjustment!, they did the opposite what I want). I am bringing it back tomorrow.
    I enjoyed the company. They are all good guys. The host player helped us with the "direction and yardage". I played there for the first time today. It took a little long than I thought the match play should be though. I think the Men intersectionals should use the same rule as the Women. In the Women, the winner has to leave the course as soon as she wins all her matches. That way you will speed up the game at the end (and Garth will have more time to drink and cheer on the team!). The last few holes are the most serious and it takes longer to play but if you only have two guys instead of four it would be faster.

Cheers!

TP

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Our team from Greensmere played at Cedar Glen and we came through with 49 points for the win and the host team second. I managed to win my matches 8 & 6, 2 & 1 and 1 up. The pins that they had were all very difficult and I think that this actually hurt the home team as noone could get near a pin to be able to reasonably make a good putt. On one par 3 the pin was about 2 paces from the front right and water was only a few more paces away. Impossible to get a tee shot below or even near the pin. Someone mentioned that they should give the pinsetter the nickname of "front right". With all the tough pins it also made for a really long slow round as there were many three putts with very few gimmes in our group.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    We won our division with 56 points and I'm one of the two in our team not to get 6 points!!! Dan, I think we might be playing in the the same section next year. We're moving up from section N.

1. Hautes Plaines
    2. Oaks of Cobden
    3. Dragonfly
    4. Irish Hills

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Anyone have a link to the results? Or does anyone know the outcome of the group with Pakenham/Mountain Creek/Deep River and Emerald Links? Need to know how the guys at MC fisnished up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gap Wedge shotpar is on a distinguished road shotpar's Avatar

Resusts from Pakenham.

I played my first competition for Emerald Links at Pakenham.
    Beautiful day. Very exciting and definitely nerve racking on the 1st tee.

It came down to the last 2 groups to determine the winner.
    Pakenham won with 39, Emerald had 34. I am not 100% certain,
    but I think Mountain Creek finished 3rd and Deep river 4th.

I could golf everyday with the guys in my 4some.
    Thanks to Martin (deepRiver), Steve (Pakenham) and Jamie (6points, Mountain Creek) for making the day very enjoyable.

Hope to be back next year!!!!!
    You can never golf too much. What was that dear? Oh okay. Maybe you can.

Lob Wedge RJS is on a distinguished road

2006 Intersectionals

Anyone know where I can view the results from this weekends play? The Citizen only mentions the "A" and "B" Flight winners.

With appreciation

shotpar, you said you played with Jamie of MC. Did he have his cousin on the bag as a caddy? If so he's a real good friend of mine. And the fact he picked up 6 pts is just awesome. And you are correct about MC, they did finish third. I called the course and finally got a response from someone.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gap Wedge shotpar is on a distinguished road shotpar's Avatar
    I don't recall the guys name. Good guy though.
    Jamie was definitely the snappy dresser of the group.
    You can never golf too much. What was that dear? Oh okay. Maybe you can.

Sounds like him. He said he was going to dress a la Payne Stewart with the plus fours. Glad he did well. He was really hoping for a good showing.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Way to go gbower and Garth for getting your 6 points.

Big Easy, not sure about your math. How do only 2 players on your team get 6 points and the whole team gets 56? If this is possible, you guys are using a different points system than we are.

As for myself, I had the best intersectional match in 20 years. I pulled out due to injury and spent the day at the cottage. The pressure of snorkling and playing frisbee was very intense.

SH

I think he meant he was one of two on the team that did not get 6 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Got it. Hung over.
    SH

In that case, I guess there was no pressure to perform well this weekend.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Yep! We definitely have a home course advantage (Hautes-Plaines)...Yet again, played with true gentlemen...Weather was perfect (liitle windy though!)...

Quote Originally Posted by RJS
    Anyone know where I can view the results from this weekends play? The Citizen only mentions the "A" and "B" Flight winners.

With appreciation
    www.ovga.org will eventually have all results. Usually takes a day or so to get all the Intersectional results in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter
    Got it. Hung over.
    SH

You sure you didn't play yesterday? Sounds like any other Monday after Intersectionals to me....

G.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I read in the paper that Daniel Alfredsson was part of the Royal Ottawa team and took 6 points. Is this event something he competes in regularly? Seems pretty cool to me that an athlete as successful as him would muck it up in a local event like that.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Like Big Easy said we took an astonishing 56 points out of 60. Great day, great weather and great friends.

Played 77 with a double and a triple. Won 8&7, 4up and 4up. Played with true gentlemen.

It’s awesome playing with a caddie especially when he plays a similar game as yours.

Can’t wait to play Dan next year. That’s if we make the team…
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    You sure you didn't play yesterday? Sounds like any other Monday after Intersectionals to me....

G.
    Ha! No, haven't played too much this year. I have a pinched nerve in my lower back (since late March). It has been healing slowly but I can't seem to shake it. Been avoiding golf hoping it will heal. It is very painful. I like intersectionals but this year our team had to drive to Morrisburg to play. Since I don't own a helicopter, that was one more reason not to play. Looks like the boys didn't need me anyway. They won fairly easily. I have to trade my body in for a new one. My handicap is staying the same because I can get away with all the crappy shots at Greensmere. If I had played in the Citizen tourney this year it could have been ugly.
    Now back to my beer…
    SH

Thread Information