100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Question on putter grip affecting putting

A short while ago I re-gripped my putter. Coincidentally or not, at around the same time, my puttinf went from my normal of 33-34 putts per round to 44-46!!!

Yesterday, I went to a practice green and dropped a bunch of balls in a circular pattern around a hole with distances varying from 3 to 10 feet. With my normal hand grip (Right hand down, left index finger resting on top right hand pinky) I was pushing almost every putt wide right.

After a while I took my left hand off the putter, gripped the putter with my right hand only, and ran my right index finger down the shaft to stabilize the putter. I putted again. But this time most of my putts went in. It appears that my left hand is not remaining passive throughout my stroke!

My question is: Is it possible that the new grip (fatter) is responsible for this or could this be just a coincidence?

And no, I am not interested in one hand putting or gripping a different way such as left hand low, or chaning my putter to a belly putter...

Thanks
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Definitely

I encountered a similar situation. After much struggling to regain my stroke my friend noticed that although my grip looked the same on the putter that I was pushing the back hand over, kind rolling my forearm. It took a while but what got me back on track was slowing my backstorke down and now I am back on track. I think my grip pressure increased with the new grip and by slowing my stroke down it helped reduce my grip pressure.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents worth.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Wouldn't a change in grip size and/or weight affect the "feel" of the putter?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Stupid question, but have you checked to make sure the grip is aligned properly with the putter head? Even if it was only slightly off centre, it could easily open the putter face during your normal stroke.

Good question Spackler and goof advice Lefty. To be honest I did not double check the grip alignment as Jamie installed it and I totally believe in him, but I will double check it just in case.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Stupid question, but have you checked to make sure the grip is aligned properly with the putter head? Even if it was only slightly off centre, it could easily open the putter face during your normal stroke.
    It is absolutely essential that when the putter grip is installed that you putt several balls until you are sure that the alignment is correct, FOR YOU. My putter grip is several degrees closed and because of my technique and stroke, the path ends up on line with a square club face. If the grip was put on SQUARE, I would push a 10 footer, a foot to the right.

A square alignment does not mean a square club face. The grip should be setup for you, rather than have you adjust your stroke for the grip.

When I regrip putter grips for golfers, they are in my workshop and putt balls down a line, with adjustments made if necessary, until they are satisfied that it is right for them. Common sense.

Well, the last grip was square and it worked fine for me. And this grip is ok as far as alignment. The is verified by the fact that one handed putting works ok.

Today, I tried a few things and by gripping the right hand just a bit tighter, I got the ball rolling fairly straight. I am thinking more and more like this grip (Winn AVS Pistol medium) is the reason for my pushing and I just have to grip slightly more to get the same line.

Does this make sense at all?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    If grip size means anything the same as irons, I went to a bigger grip size on my 695CB's. I went from a draw to straight down the middle. In your case, perhaps you are pushing it due to the larger grip? I don't know if this has any validity or not. All I know is with irons, if your grip size is too small, odds are you might have a power draw instead of hitting the ball right down the middle.

Thread Information