CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    FWIW making the first cut is harder than you think. Historically it is around 160. Sounds easy I know, but throw in tournament conditions and for your average 4-8 handicap, that is tough.

Hope you get your index low enough to get in next year. It is a well run tourney IMHO.
    That's about what I figured I need, which I can do with my A game.

On my side, is that I usually play tougher courses (SB and Eagle Creek) from the back tees, so I shouldn't be surpricsed by any of the setups.

If I can get my short game back on track I should hopefully get there.

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road

Do kid yourself - Predator isn't THAT easy...

I played both Talon and Predator the day of the Citizen Event and it was pretty windy at times. The wind was much more punishing on Predator though - it was mostly a sidewind on Talon.

Predator may look easy with all the fairway room and the large greens but consider that if you hit to any side of a fairway the typical bounce is off into water/woods/fescue - good luck finding your ball in there. Most of the greens are elevated off the fairway so if you're short you'll bounce backwards and be forced to chip close for par. Predator is longer than most courses as well and any wind will cause club selection chaos - doubly so for those who hadn't played it prior to the round. The fairway lies are also uneven and you can have the ball more than 3 inches above your feet at any time. Definitley a great links course.

Predator also boasts 3 200+ yard par 3's that are completley surrounded by water, fescue, sand and woods. If you don't hit the green a double bogey is a very easy score to card. It can certainly bite you hard if you're not careful

Now only if Clublink would scrap Haute Plains and purchase another Ottawa area course - I think there's a nice one in Barrhaven that would fit nicely!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMulligan
    Now only if Clublink would ... purchase another Ottawa area course - I think there's a nice one in Barrhaven that would fit nicely!

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    Wind was definitely a factor... on #6, I had 123 over the bunker 130 or so to the pin... wind was at least 15-20km/h directly in our face... I decided to hit a 3/4 8 iron punch and as I hit the ball, the wind died completely and the ball flew into the hazard at the back of the green... double bogey. Consistent wind is fun to play in, but inconsistent breezes with change of directions on a links course can definitely make for a challenge!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear that the event is well run. I played in the inaugural event and said I'd never play again. Why? Because it took us 7, count 'em, 7 hours to play. I could have driven to New York, played a round and been back home in that time! What is the average time for a round in that tournament now?

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Have you never read QBVII by Leon Uris? The bottom line is: its not libel or slander if its true.

The guy listed himself as a member of Greyhawk when apparantly he is not. He listed his index as 7.2 when it is really much higher and above the minimum level required to enter the tournament. He just shot his PB round of 77 at the tournament - so clearly his index was not 7.2 before he entered it. If that's not called lying and cheating, then what do you call it?

I know Farzin and have played golf with him several times. I congratulate him on shooting a personal best score - but that doesn't negate the fact that what he did was wrong. A true friend would tell him that.
    No need to feed the trolls. so edited.

As per his handicap. You're in no position to question it as you don't play with him every round. And BTW depending on the difficulty of the courses you play. a consisitent 80. Can net you an index lower than 8.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I'm glad to hear that the event is well run. I played in the inaugural event and said I'd never play again. Why? Because it took us 7, count 'em, 7 hours to play. I could have driven to New York, played a round and been back home in that time! What is the average time for a round in that tournament now?

I tee'd off at 9:10 and was done at about 13:50. In the last 3 years I don't recall a round over 5 hours. No worse than the intersectionals or your club championship really.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Now only if Clublink would scrap Haute Plains and purchase another Ottawa area course - I think there's a nice one in Barrhaven that would fit nicely!
    And why do you want them to scrap Hautes Plaines?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    teed off at 2:10 and finished at 6:10... 4 hours. Extremely well run tournament. The only change I would like to see is an actual four day event in four straight days. Easier said than done.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger
    Bobby Jones put it right: There is Golf and then there is Tournament Golf.
    True. Even good players can shoot a high #..If the player is not in control of his swing, it'll be a long day for sure..During a 4 day tournament a few years back i was playing half decent (80-78-80) then I shot my worst game in 10 years in the final round (100)..Since that year i've been strugling in tournaments and decided to not play in OVGA/QGA/Citizen events untill my game is competitive like it used to be.

Some days you just don't have the swing/tempo and you wonder why the ball is not behaving?!!

The thing i miss the most about tournament golf now is seeing the ppl i've played with over the years. Dave Parker and Roger (OVGA/QGA) will be missed forever they were great men
    Last edited by up&down; 07-07-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    And why do you want them to scrap Hautes Plaines?
    Exactly! I love Hautes Plaines. I would rather see Kanata turn into parkland...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Pitching Wedge wattsy is on a distinguished road
    Congrats to my uncle Dale. Shot an opening round 70, thata boy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Exactly! I love Hautes Plaines. I would rather see Kanata turn into parkland...
    Agreed. The holes are well designed for the most part. The overall layout (houses, neighborhood, etc...) is horrible.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Why scrap HP? It is a great little course.

Why stop at one.... Clublink needs to purchase 2-3 more

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Why scrap HP? It is a great little course.

Why stop at one.... Clublink needs to purchase 2-3 more
    Yep like SB and EC

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Yep like SB and EC
    Easy boys. Back on topic...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy
    Congrats to my uncle Dale. Shot an opening round 70, thata boy!!
    Good game! Hope to play with him in the St.lawrence cup in a few weeks

Pitching Wedge wattsy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    Good game! Hope to play with him in the St.lawrence cup in a few weeks
    What course do you play out of?
    I played on Brockville's St Lawrence team for 2 years as the junior. Awesome tournament with some great competition!

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy
    What course do you play out of?
    I played on Brockville's St Lawrence team for 2 years as the junior. Awesome tournament with some great competition!
    I'm with mississippi. It's my 1st year playing in the cup
    It's too bad you are only allowed to enter one junior! we have 4 great junior's under 18. Bowie Abbis-Mills has our Junior spot. Are you playing?

el tigre - If it bothers you so much, call the Ottawa Citizen tournament organizing committee (find the phone number on the registration form still available on flagstick.com) and let them know about it.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I'm especially disappointed that Dan and Reid (both moderators on this forum) seem to have taken this position.
    Well, there goes my shot at Internet Moderator of the Year...
    Last edited by 1972Apex; 07-07-2006 at 11:53 PM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    el-tigre
    I removed your post since your statements continue to be slanderous. Please refrain from personal attacks. Consider this a warning.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by el tigre
    I'm especially disappointed that Dan and Reid (both moderators on this forum) seem to have taken this position.

I for one have taken no position at all other than to consider the possibility that his entry may have conformed to the rules. My opinion on his eligibility has no relevance to this discussion, nor have I expressed one. Frankly it's none of my business. Just because I run this site does not mean I have to take a stand on issues like this, and the fact that I have not joined you in insulting the man does not mean I am taking sides.

My only "position" is to decide when a post in here is over the top, like yours are.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    From the comments above it is apparent that there may be a few golfers in The Citizen Tournament who lied to get in. Reverse sandbagging, although less common, is as dishonest as normal sandbagging and should NOT be applauded. To solve this and other problems in their tournaments, the OVGA instituted a ladder system where your scores made in tournaments are used to determine your future eligibility. Perhaps The Citizen Tournament committee should consider changing their qualifying system to reward the good players and to weed out the liars.

My suggestion:

1. Those that make the 36 hole cut in 2006 are automatically eligible for 2007. ENTRY FEE - $120.

2. The first round should be changed to a qualifying round where the top 80 (let’s say) qualify for the remaining THREE rounds. ENTRY FEE - $160. First 144 entries received make the qualifying field.

3. If you don’t make the qualifying cut, $60 is refunded.

4. After round 1, the field is cut to the low 72 and ties.

5. After round 2, the field is cut to the low 36 and ties for round 3.

In this way, those who played well previously are rewarded by being made automatically eligible. Secondly, those who play well in the qualifying, also get it. Thirdly, many of the reverse sandbaggers will score too high to get in and, perhaps, the $100 entry fee for only 1 guaranteed round, will discourage them from entering in the first place. The point is, you gain entry to the field by playing well and not by lying, or by having someone lie for you.

Lastly, the total revenue collected by the committee will be slightly higher than what is being collected now.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Well thought out Misty!!!

BC MIST, I would seriously consider sending this over to the Ottawa Citizen. Maybe somebody over there is willing to consider it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    That is a great idea BC.

Andru
    That one thing EVERYONE is missing is NO ONE was left out of anything. They didn't fill the maximum number of spots 144. If you wanted in you could have done it.

Here's the deal. I agree the 104 was a little suspect. but honestly Tournament golf is so different than casual golf, it's ridiculous.

I entered the citizen last year with a pretty nice handicap. I hadn't shot a round over 80 at the marshes in my previous 11 rounds. I had a few rounds flirting with breaking par on the front 9.

My hands were shaking on the 1st tee at Kanata Lakes. Nothing went right. I 3 jacked so many times I couldn't count. I took an 11 on a par 5 because I lost 2 tee balls and played my 3rd. Then At SB same story. a total of 42 over par for 2 rounds. Distraught is not even close to how I felt.

It was the last 5 holes at SB that I finally felt like myself. and played 1 under par coming in. If anyone here believes that those 2 rounds constitutes my real handicap then cool. Pony up some cash give me a 20 handicap and we'll play some skins. I'll take that deal any day.

Since then I've put myself under pressure more often. At first I lost every penny. But now I've learned how to harnest that energy and channel it. I've learned how my shots react when I'm anxious or relaxed and played them correctly. It's a learning process.

For most the citizen is the only tournament they compete in, due to the archaic rules of the ovga and limited entries into tournaments. In order to get better at tournament golf you need to play more tournament golf. If you put in restrictions limiting those opportunities your contributing to very thing that's causing golf to be so stagnant.

Inclusion should be the game. Not EXCLUSION. I have no problem with identifying the best of the best. I believe competitive golf for the amateur is the only way the game is going to grow. Look how many people try to qualify for the US Open. Tons! Some great golfers blow up for lots of reasons. but the USGA gives them the opportunity to try and learn. The citizen is fine the way it is. The cream rises to the top and new golfers not the same old boyz network get opportunities to gain some experience. Like the OVGA. It shoudl be like like the PGA you need to prove yourself every year.

Maybe if you finish in the top 10 you're automatically invited back. I can live with that but half the field getting free rides next year? Goodness will golf ever ever learn? I don't think so.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    BC MIST, I would seriously consider sending this over to the Ottawa Citizen. Maybe somebody over there is willing to consider it.
    I hope to heaven they have more sense than to adopt the exclusive practices of the OVGA.

Regional qualifying rounds should be played to get in to those tournaments. Something like the OVGA spring qualifying for the Tunis.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    That one thing EVERYONE is missing is NO ONE was left out of anything. They didn't fill the maximum number of spots 144. If you wanted in you could have done it.
    Not necessarily. The field was limited to a max of 144.

The entry form was very specific about the 8 index. I suspect that they did not get enough entries with indexes below 8 which is what limited the field to 138.

If they had opened it up to everyone I'm pretty sure they would have had a full field.

Thread Information