CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

PEI Golf/Belvedere

Hey all. I'm going to PEI in two weeks and plan on playing a couple rounds of golf while i'm there. One will definitely be at Crowbush and for the other i planned on playing Dundarave but one of my pals there wanted to bring me to Belvedere. Anyone ever played it? Just wondering if i should push Dundarave over Belvedere.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Skip them both and play Eagle's Glenn!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Well i'm definitely playing Crowbush but Eagle's Glenn, is it better than Dundarave?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Hey all. I'm going to PEI in two weeks and plan on playing a couple rounds of golf while i'm there. One will definitely be at Crowbush and for the other i planned on playing Dundarave but one of my pals there wanted to bring me to Belvedere. Anyone ever played it? Just wondering if i should push Dundarave over Belvedere.
    I'm a native Islander and with all due respect to you friend, Belvedere doesn't come close to ranking in the top 5 courses on the Island IMO. I worked for PEI tourism for 2 summers when I was in University and we were treated to many free rounds at all of the old courses so that we could answer the questions from the golfing tourists.

PEI golf courses fall into one of two categories - Old guard and New guard.

I'd rank the Old Guard as follows:

1. Mill River (maybe a bit biased here because my folks had a cottage on this course)
    2. Brudenell River
    3. Cavendish (also known as Green Gables)
    4. Stanhope
    5. Belvedere

I have played all of the 'New Guard' courses as well and I'd rank them as follows:

1. Links at Crowbush Cove
    2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Dundarave
    4. Glasgow Hills
    5. Andersons Creek

Overall, I'd rank all courses as follows:

2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Glasgow Hills
    4. Mill River
    5. Brudenell
    6. Dundarave
    7. Cavendish (also known as Green Gables)
    8. Andersons Creek
    9. Stanhope
    10. Belvedere

If you play Dundarave, you should definately play Brudenell because they are right beside one another. If you get a chance to hit the Western End of the Island, I highly recommend a round at Mill River. I consider this course to be a lost treasure because it is off of the beaten tourist path but it is an outstanding, mature golf course that runs along Mill River, has nice rolling hills, built in a mature forest and isn't very busy because it doesn't get the hype of the 'New' courses.

If I could play only one course for an entire vacation it would be The Eagles Glenn....Crowbush is a MUST play for anyone who has never played it, but I simply love The Eagles Glenn.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. I'll be there the final week in July and I'm starting to foam at the mouth already.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for this post Scott. I am going to PEI & NS the last week of July and first week of August for golf. I was wanting to find a review of PEI courses and bingo. Based on your ranking I am going to hit your top four choices in PEI. Is their a package the one can buy?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I'm a native Islander and with all due respect to you friend, Belvedere doesn't come close to ranking in the top 5 courses on the Island IMO. I worked for PEI tourism for 2 summers when I was in University and we were treated to many free rounds at all of the old courses so that we could answer the questions from the golfing tourists.

1. Mill River (maybe a bit biased here because my folks had a cottage on this course)
    2. Brudenell River
    4. Stanhope
    5. Belvedere

I have played all of the 'New Guard' courses as well and I'd rank them as follows:

2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Dundarave
    4. Glasgow Hills
    5. Andersons Creek

2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Glasgow Hills
    4. Mill River
    5. Brudenell
    6. Dundarave
    8. Andersons Creek
    9. Stanhope
    10. Belvedere

If you play Dundarave, you should definately play Brudenell because they are right beside one another. If you get a chance to hit the Western End of the Island, I highly recommend a round at Mill River. I consider this course to be a lost treasure because it is off of the beaten tourist path but it is an outstanding, mature golf course that runs along Mill River, has nice rolling hills, built in a mature forest and isn't very busy because it doesn't get the hype of the 'New' courses.

If I could play only one course for an entire vacation it would be The Eagles Glenn....Crowbush is a MUST play for anyone who has never played it, but I simply love The Eagles Glenn.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. I'll be there the final week in July and I'm starting to foam at the mouth already.
    Agreed. Eagles Glenn is not as well known yet, but it's something special. 6800 yards from the tips and a 143 rating. Lots of elevation changes. Great views. They could easily host an elite event there.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I can't wait to hear how you guys score on Crowbush Cove.

I saw that Canadian Skins Game there a few years back. It was Mike Weir, John Daily, Mark O'Meara (the year after he won his two majors) and Freddy Couples. Mike won the whole thing, but they all ate the course alive.

The two things that I will never forget are:

First, Daily comes out of the locker room to warm up...proceeds to the putting green, smoke in mouth. Drops a ball about 30 feet from a hole, strokes it with one hand and drains it. Looks to his caddie, gives a chuckle and heads to the driving range a few yards away....

Gets to the range, smoke still between his lips, approaches the pyramid pile of balls, calls for his driver and then proceeds to hit the ball off of the top of the pyramid about 340 off of the end of the driving range....he looks at his caddie again, chuckles, removes the smoke (he's had it in his mouth this whole time) butts it out and heads to the first tee.

Second, John comes to the 18th hole and he's already out of the competition. I'm right at the ropes about 10 feet away from the tee box. John has driver in his hand and addresses the ball. He stops his swing in his backswing a la Tiger, tosses the driver at his Caddy and says gimmie the putter...he proceeds to hit the putter about 220 with a perfect power fade.

Love him or hate him, Johy Daily is one entertaining guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Thanks for this post Scott. I am going to PEI & NS the last week of July and first week of August for golf. I was wanting to find a review of PEI courses and bingo. Based on your ranking I am going to hit your top four choices in PEI. Is their a package the one can buy?
    Hey Mcgoo,

Have a look at http://www.golfpei.ca/opening.html

They will customize a package for you, just let them know where you want to stay and where you want to play.

Enjoy your stay and your rounds!!

Scott

I just talked to my Father and he has the following to offer re: shape of the courses as of right now:

1. The Eagles Glenn
    2. Glasgow Hills
    3. Mill River
    4. Dundarave
    5. Andersons Creek

He isn't a big fan of Crowbush so he hasn't played it yet this year.

He also says that the bes deal on the entire Island is at Mill River where you can play Mon-Fri anytime for $32...for comparison sake my Uncle said he paid $104 for green fees at Crowbush

There you have it!

Looks like i'm going with Eagles Glenn on Monday and Crowbush on the Tuesday. Wooohoooo can't wait.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Hacker:

Years ago I used to play in an annual fall tournament at Mill River (before they re-routed the course). It was called the Jack Frost. It was a great time. Do they still host the event?

Signed: A displaced Maritimer.

bishop4

where to play on the Island

Good Monring John:
    I have to agree with Hacker on his assessment of Mill River. Been all over the island (wife grew up there) and I believe that Mill River is an excellent experience. The pace is usually good, it is well managed and away from the tourist areas. takes about 40 minutes to get there from Summerside.

Wherever you decide to go I am sure the golf will be great. I hope you really enjoy the trip. I will be there myself in a couple of weeks. I will probably get a couple of quick rounds in at Red Sands. It's a little 9 hole track unknown and out of the way. Very simple layout and quick to get around. But I were there purely to golf, I would pretty much abide by what Hacker has listed.

I am doing Crowbush because i've always wanted to play there and Eagle's Glenn because people rave about it and it's only like ten minutes from where i'm staying in Rustico!

Hey mpare,

The Jack Frost tournament, now there is something that brings back memories...while I never actually played in it I use to caddie for my father. As far as I know the Jack Frost is still held, but it isn't the tournament that it once was with all of the new courses around these days holding events of their own.

...as for you being a displaced Maritimer - you can take the boy out of the Maritimes, but you'll never take the Maritimes out of the boy.

Bishop4 - I don't know how to break this to you but Red Sands isn't as unknown as it used to be It's still better than anything around Cavendish, Charlottetown or Summerside though traffic wise

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Is it wise to book your tee times before you go to PEI?

I am thinking of Red Sands and Forest Hills (with the kids, especially) and Green Gables.

Well we're back and what a fantastic golf experience i had on PEI. I only managed to squeeze three rounds in amidst all of the other great stuff me and my pals we're doing. Mostly stumbling around my buddies patio overlooking the ocean drunk on Old Sam's!!!

First Round EAGLES GLENN: I have to say this this is the greatest golf course i've ever played. So much fun, in amazing condition and the perfect mix of toughness and forgiveness. Got out of there with a 77 from the tips and loved every minute of it. An extra sweetener was getting to play with the owner of the place and paying 30 bucks for the round and a cart on a Sunday afternoon!!! Now that's what i'm talking about!

Round Two, Crowbush: My writeup on this will be short and sweet cause i truly disliked this golf course. Im down to a four handicap now and was playing with some high handicappers who got slaughtered by this thing. The wind was blowing at 60 km per hour at times and the course ate all of us up. I shot an 84 from the tips. Yes the course has amazing views and is in tremendous shape but it's not fun in the least. Anything off the fairway is gonzo, i lost about six balls i think some of them running a foot into the crud. Next time my 104 bucks will go to two twilight rounds at the Glenn.

Third Round, Cavendish/Anne of Green Gables: This was a quick solo round played at seven in the morning on Wednesday. Played in 1:45 minutes and had a great time. Not the most exciting course on the island but it's in great shape and can be good for the ego. Lots of room to hit driver here. I paid 80 bones with a cart and was happy with what i got. Got out of there with a 76 from the tips.

All in all i can't wait to go back next summer for Dundarave, Mill River, Glasgow Hills, Andersons Creek and Brudenell!!!

Anthony

Dundarave or Brudenell & Where the Cheap Eagle's Glenn Green Fee

Staying 2 days in Cavendish August 14-15, Then @ Brudenell. Already made twilight tee time @ Brudenell (3:00 pm). Should I do Dundarave instead.

Last year played Anne's & Glasgow. I thought Glasgow may have been as nice as I've played (played most in Toronto & Niagara area). Also just about died I was so tired (am 43 in good shape, run 3-7 mile/day), walking up and down on an 83 degree day.

Where did you get the rate for Glen's Eagle? I see twilight $50 walking....

Hints or ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey all, I just got back from my trip home to PEI so I thought that I'd check in. Very quickly I played the following:

Eagles Glenn - it was in awesome shape and still my over all Fav - GR8 scoring there btw John!!

Summerside - my hometown course was in good shape and will present a decent challenge to all levels of golfer.

Anderson's Creek - simply amazing, for a 3 year old course this puppy is is fantastic shape and I'm going to have to bump it up a notch or two on my list of Favorite Island golf courses.

Mill River - we tee'd off 1 hour after the last group tee'd off for the final round of the Canadian Jr. Men's championship...I've probably played 200 or more rounds at this course in my life and I've NEVER seen it in better shape. The were double cutting and rolling the greens twice a day for a week in preparation for this championship and they were running at 11 1/2 on the stimpmeter......I have never played on greens so fast!! Outstanding.

For anyone who might be considering a golf vacation to PEI, you sure can't go wrong with any of the courses I've mentioned above.

Cheers

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

PEI Golf rankings.....Eagles Glenn..??

Hacker,

This is a great list you put together!! Having played Crowbush on our first visit to the island this summer, I am already looking ahead to next summer and what the other courses have to offer. A friend of mine has played Glasgow Hills a number of times and loves the course. We drove up to the clubhouse and enjoyed the view, so this course is likely on our play list for next year. We stayed in Cavendish and drove by the Eagles Glenn entrance many times. You certainly seem to have great things to say about this course. I notice that there is certainly alot of media hype for Dundarave and Brudenell River?? You rank Eagles Glenn higher than these two courses?? Can you give me more details of why Eagles Glenn would be a better course to play........?

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker

2. Brudenell River
    4. Stanhope
    5. Belvedere

2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Dundarave
    4. Glasgow Hills
    5. Andersons Creek

2. The Eagles Glenn
    3. Glasgow Hills
    4. Mill River
    5. Brudenell
    6. Dundarave
    8. Andersons Creek
    9. Stanhope
    10. Belvedere

Eagles Glenn is a perfect combination of challenging holes and risk reward shots coupled with amazing conditions,staff and an overall great golf atmosphere. Something about that course is just special, hard to pinpoint it but it made me fall in love with golf again.

Thread Information