CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Greg Norman Wines

Has anyone ever tried one of his wines? Reviews?

In SI last week, they had an excellent article, catching up with the Shark (the REAL Shark, not our forum boy here!!!). One of his wines was voted in the top 10 in the world. What a life this guy leads, although his divorce is gonna cost him a good chunk of his $200 million net worth and his future income (something like $300 million a year in revenue I think).
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Hmm and we just post on msg boards. Where did I go wrong!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    They're pretty good, a bit pricey for what you get. You can do better value wise with other Australian wines.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    They're fine wines, however I much prefer the John Daly wines due to the easy opening screw cap and commemorative paper bag that comes with each bottle .

Have you found one with a prize in it yet Reid? The half-smoked Marlboro?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I've tried a few of the reds and they're excellent. If you're looking to continue the golf motif, Nobilo (as in Frank) Estate Wines are very good too, and at some point I will be trying the Mike Weir Estate wines.

Maybe I'll have a golf themed wine tasting. Hmmmmmm...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Have you found one with a prize in it yet Reid? The half-smoked Marlboro?
    No Marlboros yet, but so far I've won half a can of Diet Pepsi and two ex-wives.

That's a very cool idea for a golf tournament LW! I think I'm gonna steal that idea. Golf your round, then have a tasting! NICE!!!!

BTW, my favorite wine is Trius Cabernet Franc 2002. It's amazing, and the best value I've ever found, I buy it by the case and I'm keeping a few cases in the cellar (5 year cellar life)

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Where can you get Norman's wines in Ottawa?

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I have tried a few different bottles with varying quality. Some has been really good but the last bottle we got was really rough. Australian is often decent wine. We have it in the LCBO in Manotick

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    I have tried a few different bottles with varying quality. Some has been really good but the last bottle we got was really rough. Australian is often decent wine. We have it in the LCBO in Manotick
    Are you sure you're talking about Greg Norman (with the shark logo), or Normans Winery of Australia? Two different companies.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Yes I am sure
    The last one we got that was really rough, was Greg Norman Estates, Limestone Coast Cab. Merlot 2003. (I know as I still have the empty)

But we have has some very good bottles. I have found the quality fairly variable.
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Are you sure you're talking about Greg Norman (with the shark logo), or Normans Winery of Australia? Two different companies.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    But we have has some very good bottles. I have found the quality fairly variable.
    I have had this 'problem' with several Austrailian wines, most noteably Wolf Blass. I find many of them lacking in consistency. I pretty much only drink Shiraz wines and the most consistent wine I can find is Yellow Tail. I know many wine drinkers consider Yellow Tail the "McDonalds" of wine, but to me each bottle tastes almost exactly the same. I don't get that same consistency with a lot of other wines, regardless of price.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Could it be a reigon / vintage thing? Some seasons are better than others in any vinyard.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Could it be a reigon / vintage thing? Some seasons are better than others in any vinyard.
    Quite possibly.
    I should be paying more attention to year and see if that is the difference. Better get to it CHeers!

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I have tried a cab and a chardonnay from norman's estate and they were good but over priced/rated (sorry shark!)
    I strongly believe in Australia as the best wines (south africa second) and much better value in others.
    For example try 'black opal' cabernet/merlot. Nice spicy, plum, vanilla flavors.
    Not too heavy, good with steak but can be drank on its own, preferably with a #2 cigar on the back deck (about $15).

PS
    For white drinkers, my secret el cheapo special is 'Robert's Rock' chardonnay, from South Africa. It's dry, either a zero or 1, but very refreshing in the summer and costs under $10 but tastes like much more $$$. Ask for it. yummy.
    Last edited by sharkhark; 07-13-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I have had a few bottles of Black Opal. It is good but again you have to get a batch that is good. The year def. makes a big difference.

In general I prefer French wines. Usually buy a mid priced wine that has been reviewed by someone. Let them do the work for me.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I have had a few bottles of Black Opal. It is good but again you have to get a batch that is good. The year def. makes a big difference.

In general I prefer French wines. Usually buy a mid priced wine that has been reviewed by someone. Let them do the work for me.
    2002 then, to be specific, that seems to be the batch I have bought over last yr. Cheers!
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Well then I shall pick some up
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    2002 then, to be specific, that seems to be the batch I have bought over last yr. Cheers!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    2002 was a very good year in South Australia, the Barossa Valley in particular. Black Opal is South Australian, but is blended from grapes from vineyards all over the state.

Thread Information