Hello everyone

I am a 26 handicap and have been improving each year I play (3 years). I only manage to play about 10-15 times a year though. Yesterday I was so frustrated I nearly picked up my ball and walked off the course. I am hitting it fat, probably the second most destructive shot in golf (definate nod in the direction of Geoff J).

If I take a practice swing with an iron (any iron) I take a nice shallow divot after where the ball would have been but when I step up to strike the ball, I either hit a very nice crisply struck iron shot that flies high and in the general direction of my target, or I hit it way fat taking up a slice of turf that would make a very nice green toupee for someone, the ball will then travel approx 10-20 yards. Natrually I play okay until I hit one fat and then my confidence is utterly shattered. I hit 4 in a row on one hole yesterday after hitting a good drive (which is rare for me) advancing the ball less than 100 yards and ended up putting the final 35 yards or so. Hitting the ball fat is destroying my game, my confidence, and my scores. Please help.

Does anyone have any advice, drills etc or has experienced this and worked it out?

I think my swing is too steep to begin with as I am also push slicing my driver and fairway woods (leading to more lost shots). I was hoping to get close to breaking 90 this year but after yesterday i'd be happy to re-break 100 again. I always enjoy a round of golf as I don't get to play that often, but yesterday I was ready to quit and take up alcoholism.