CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hitting it fat

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Hitting it fat

Hello everyone

I am a 26 handicap and have been improving each year I play (3 years). I only manage to play about 10-15 times a year though. Yesterday I was so frustrated I nearly picked up my ball and walked off the course. I am hitting it fat, probably the second most destructive shot in golf (definate nod in the direction of Geoff J).

If I take a practice swing with an iron (any iron) I take a nice shallow divot after where the ball would have been but when I step up to strike the ball, I either hit a very nice crisply struck iron shot that flies high and in the general direction of my target, or I hit it way fat taking up a slice of turf that would make a very nice green toupee for someone, the ball will then travel approx 10-20 yards. Natrually I play okay until I hit one fat and then my confidence is utterly shattered. I hit 4 in a row on one hole yesterday after hitting a good drive (which is rare for me) advancing the ball less than 100 yards and ended up putting the final 35 yards or so. Hitting the ball fat is destroying my game, my confidence, and my scores. Please help.

Does anyone have any advice, drills etc or has experienced this and worked it out?

I think my swing is too steep to begin with as I am also push slicing my driver and fairway woods (leading to more lost shots). I was hoping to get close to breaking 90 this year but after yesterday i'd be happy to re-break 100 again. I always enjoy a round of golf as I don't get to play that often, but yesterday I was ready to quit and take up alcoholism.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    When I am playing poorly, I usually suffer from the fats as well. I'm not an instructor by any means, but I'm playing to a 9 hdcp these days, so here's what works for me.

When I'm hitting my irons badly it's one (or a combination of) two things.

1. Stance too wide. I will sometimes unconsciously set my feet too wide because it feels more stable, but ultimately I end up getting too steep with my swing and there is no margin for error.

2. Leaning forward at impact. Again, an unconsious move where I lunge at the ball and my head gets in front and my spine angle is fubar. If I stay behind the ball, all is good.

Check to see if you're doing either of those things.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    After years of hitting my 3-7 fat way too many times I finally figured out last week what the real problem was. I was standing too hunched over the ball, with my shoulders somewhat closed. The resulting backswing from this stance made my head go do to low, and my left shoulder dropping way below my right shoulder. On the downswing as I changed my weight shift my right shoulder would start to drop too much and cause me to hit into the ground behind the ball, making my shot go fat. I had trouble with 8-PW with pulling left because of the same stance with just less swing (shorter).

Now I am trying to stand straighter with my shoulders more open, and I am getting more distance because of longer swings and getting the club back and through the ball correctly, and less chunky shots. The problem is getting familiar with this new stance and swing as I seem to be slicing a bit now. I think standing with my shoulders more open is changing the angle of the clubface, will have to work on that to get the shots straighter.

Hope that helps, I was a 25-26 handicap too, now around 20, every little bit helps.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Would you agree that when most golfers take a practice swing, they do so in sequence and also in balance? The lower body starts forward just as the back swing finishes and the swing is smooth and full. Now, stick a ball on the ground and the golfer fails to properly finish the backswing, moves the arms too quickly to the ball and falls back on his right side never allowing the weight to get shifted. FAT!!!

So, swing smoothly at what feels like 60% of your power. You MUST hit down on the ball trying to make contact just below the equator. Also, try "addresing" the ball with the club head held slightly above the ground. The will change/raise the swing arc a little, smoothen out the takeaway and promote the even tempo swing that yields good shots.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies so far chaps. I knew you wouldn't let me down. I took my LW to a nearby field today and tried to swing smoother with less tension, letting the arms drop and then acceletating through the ball. For the most part I hit good shots and took a post hit divot. Occasionally when I rushed or had the "hit impulse" I hit it fat. I told myself I wouldn't leave until I had hot 10 good shots in a row and managed it although I goofed up on 9 and 8 before managing it.

Thanks again guys.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I tend to hit fat for two core reasons;

1. I do not get my weight to my lead side on the down swing and subsequently hit before the ball. This typically occurs when I get tired or lazy and the result is a mild fatty that is about 70% regular distance.

2. My swing disintegrates and I stab wildly at the ball, typically with 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots. I come over the top in a rush trying to "hit" the ball and come in steep and way behind the ball. Ugly chunk that goes nowhere. When I compare a disaster like this with a well executed shot, the good shot feels like 1/2 speed and takes way longer for the swing to execute than compared to the ugly shot.

Thread Information