100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Week Five After The Double By Pass

So it has been 5 weeks today that I had my double by pass operation. Last Friday I talked to the Surgeons office, to one of the nurses. We talked about what I am doing for rehab, I explained I walk between 4-5 klms a day, and I am now riding a bike I just bought. She told me that was all good, and really all I needed to do as far as rehab.
    Talked about various drugs I am on, what I will likely stop taking within the next month etc. So that was all good
    Then I mentioned GOLF. She asked if I played a lot, I said yes I do. She asked if I was getting anxious to get back on the course. Yes I am!
    So she told me to go to the range and hit some balls this week. See how it felt, see how I feel the next day.
    So today I go to my course. I start to chip on the practice green, but the Super came along and spread finely ground up Turkey Poop on the green So much for putting practice!
    Four of my buddies from work were on the front 9, so I waited for them to make the turn, then out we went together. I played 5 holes with them. I had 3 wedges and a putter with me. So I used one guys driver etc. Half swings, nothing major and it went all right. One hole is a par 5, I came up short on my 3rd but chipped in for birdie from the front of the green.
    Next hole, 167 yard par 3, plays a bit down hill over a swamp. Normally I hit 7 or 8 iron with the wind that was present today. But today I borrowed my buddie's RAC HT 4 iron. Big drop in clubs but hey, mans got to do what he needs to go to get it there! Landed on the green, rolled into the rough, chip, two putt boogie.
    I parred the last hole I played, a 173 yd Par 3. Normally I hit 6 iron on that hole, today I hit a Nike 21* wood, onto the green two putts and I was outa there!
    So all in all it was not too bad. I will see how I feel later on today. I sure am not ready to be launching 280 yard drives by any means. I doubt if I will play much between now and when I visit the other surgeon on July 17. But it was reassuring to me to know that at least I can hit the damn ball again!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Great news then, happy you are recovering well. You know a par 3 course to getting into the groove is not a bad starter when you decide to play a full round.

Dunderosa is actually pretty interesting for a par 3 course.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    Great news then, happy you are recovering well. You know a par 3 course to getting into the groove is not a bad starter when you decide to play a full round.

Dunderosa is actually pretty interesting for a par 3 course.
    My membership allows me to play 3 different courses. One of those courses just happens to be a Par 3 course, the yardage is around 4146 for 18 holes. Par 62. I have not played there in years but I thought the same thing you did. Go play it a few times before I go back to my home course. I have a friend who just joined my course this year, and that little Par 3 course would be great for him too. Glad you jogged my memory!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Great to hear you're back to the game!

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    You go BUM!!!

9 holes today boyzzzzzzzzzzz, 5 solid pars, two brain dead doubles (amazing how your course management can become slack after 6 weeks of layoff ) two boogies, one on the hardest par 3, one on the 2 hardest hole on the course a par 5.
    All in all not bad at all.
    I bought a Nickent 3DX 20* yesterday and actually hit it where I would normally hit a 6 iron. So as yuo can see I am not swinging too hard. Funny thing is, when I hit that club 3 times instead of a 6 iron I made 2 of my 3 pars Maybe there is something to slowing down your swing

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I Think there is. I started to get extremely slow to make sure i'm inside - inside... Goes just as far as when i was trying to kill it outside in some of the time. Obviously not all but hey I'm getting the right direction! Better than great distance in another fairway lol. Either way keep it up.

P.S Still smoke free I hope!

Still smoke free, 7 weeks and counting Funny though, I said to my playing partners today "Man this is when I really miss not having a smoke, while out here on the course" They said to forget smoking, think of the golf instead
    I have cravings, but they pass quickly. Problem is I am also trying to lose some weight and now, after 7 weeks food is starting to taste better. For weeks I could not stand the taste of my Diet Pepsi, which I love. Now that good taste is starting to come back. Oh well, I'll just have to walk the course more often, and ride the bike further to offset that desire to eat more!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Also don't eat late at night either way good job on the quit and hope things get brighter and brighter.

7 Weeks Later, Finally Broke into the 70's

Well here I am, 7 weeks after being carved open like a turkey and I managed to shoot a 77 this morning This was my 5th 18 hole round since my by pass and I finally started to strike the ball solidly. I am about one club shy of what I would normally hit, but getting closer.
    Modern medicine is amazing isn't it?

Excellent. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Excellent. Keep it up!
    Thanks Dan. It felt good playing a half a**ed decent round for a change. It's amazing how much strength you lose in your chest from that operation, plus sitting around for 6 weeks doing nothing strenuous doesn't help. Driver is still about 20 yards short of what it should be. But even playing poorly beats the alternative

Never mind all that You are playing VERY well by most peoples standards 7 weeks after that! Holy crap you are a golfbum!

Thread Information