100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

Match play vs. strokes

I'm playing match play with dan while in ottawa and wanted to know.. any pointers? tips? Is there a stratedgy you use? differen course mgt?

Also, since I've never played match play before.. are there different rules? Any disadvantages to just going out and playing the way you normally play in stroke play?

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Essentially, you are playing against the other player(s) or team(s) more than against the course. You might go for it where the other player is ahead and putting on pressure, or play it safe when you are up a few holes and want to hold onto the lead. You win a hole to get a point so to speak, and ties are not counted obviously.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The biggest difference from a rules perspective is that several penalties result in immediate loss of hole in match play compared to adding strokes in stroke play.

As far as tips go, concede putts early in the round and make him putt them out later.

Also important is knowing how many strokes your competitor has taken since if he's in trouble it may change your shot selection.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If your buddy puts his ball in the woods off the tee...play it safe with a fairway wood or a long iron. Even if you're 50 yards back, you're hitting your second vs his third. And if you're teeing off first, avoid the woods

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 4-4a or b,
    REGARDLESS OF NUMBER OF EXCESS CLUBS CARRIED:
    Match play — At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred. Maximum deduction per round: Two holes

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think you guys are going to need a match referee for this one. Pencil me in for now. Will get back to you though shortly if I can make it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    thotho, if we ever play a match, feel free to bring 100 clubs

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    thotho, if we ever play a match, feel free to bring 100 clubs
    Sam Snead told a story once of allowing a fellow 3 drives on every hole for the front nine, I believe. The key was that the guy had to hit three drives on each of those holes. By the time he got to the back nine his swing was out of sync, he was tired and was now dependent on those three drives. Great strategy. If I were you, ThoTho, I'd leave the extra clubs in the trunk of the car.

"Richard"
    Yeah geoff, you are penciled in. Dan, don't worry by the looks of it I will only have 11 clubs (maybe 12). Reid, Give me a year before I play with you. Your name alone is enough to scare me before I even get to the tee box. Something about the name is scary, intimidating! Does the name Gurdeep Juneja invoke fear in you guys? Not yet? IT WILL! Watch out BC MIST here i come

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Even with his sore back I don't think your going to bring out any fear from B.C.Mist, that is unless one of your weapons on the golf course is a Gurkha nine iron with a sharp leading edge!!!! Hope you have a great time and I can't wait for the juicy results

"Richard"
    I'll have my digi cam with me for all the rounds I play! I'll deff have some funny pictures for you guys. Maybe I'll even get geoffs swing on video for you Pure violence! Anyway, I am gonig to play manderly on monday with a few buds at 730am just to check out the course. I'd like to get out there before I play dan (atleast once)

Hate to disappoint you buddy, but the swing is a whole lot less violent since the lesson. I think its much smoother, sure feels that way.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I'll have my digi cam with me for all the rounds I play! I'll deff have some funny pictures for you guys. Maybe I'll even get geoffs swing on video for you Pure violence! Anyway, I am gonig to play manderly on monday with a few buds at 730am just to check out the course. I'd like to get out there before I play dan (atleast once)
    I'm playing there (my home course) on Monday morning also. Which tee are starting from? I'll introduce myself.

Lob Wedge munna is on a distinguished road
    take careful note of how many shots your partner has had. If he is having a bad hole you can take less risks
    [URL="http://www.golf-teaching-tool.net"]www.golf-teaching-tool.net[/URL]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    So when we play, are we going to have a match play - beer edition?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    So when we play, are we going to have a match play - beer edition?
    Donny I am on vacation for 4 weeks starting the 10th, lets get in a game or 6
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Hate to disappoint you buddy, but the swing is a whole lot less violent since the lesson. I think its much smoother, sure feels that way.
    That sucks! Oh well, have the scores come down yet? You losing distance at all?? Indo! I'm here till the 13th, lets try to fit you in on a day I planned to take off. You down for a round? Maybe donny can come to but his wife wears the pants in the family so he will have to ask her first. Donny, have you confirmed for our round on saturday? My treat! Yes, match play beer edition. 1-2-3 GO! who ever finnishes first is 1 up. Mpare, I booked it for 7:40am but my friends might cancel it since we are getting into to ottawa at 6am.. haha

That sucks! Oh well, have the scores come down yet? You losing distance at all?? Indo! I'm here till the 13th, lets try to fit you in on a day I planned to take off. You down for a round? Maybe donny can come to but his wife wears the pants in the family so he will have to ask her first. Donny, have you confirmed for our round on saturday? My treat! Yes, match play beer edition. 1-2-3 GO! who ever finnishes first is 1 up. Mpare, I booked it for 7:40am but my friends might cancel it since we are getting into to ottawa at 6am.. haha
    'Dick' name the day I am there!

"Richard"
    How about a tuesday twilight at stonebridge? July 11th? 430pm? I'll be playing with two friends already, one is going to CALGARY

Donny, have you confirmed for our round on saturday? My treat! Yes, match play beer edition. 1-2-3 GO! who ever finnishes first is 1 up.
    If anyone drops out of your match with Donny, count me in as well!

"Richard"
    For sure, since the green fee is $50 at 2:30pm one of my friends might drop out. Heck, if the wife doesn't let him donny might have to drop out! eitherway I'll let you know

Scores are dropping for sure. Have got the cap back to a 5.6 from 8.3. Only one round over 80 since the lesson and that was in a freezing cold, windy day. Really happy with game. As for distance, about the same, maybe a hair less sometimes. But nothing significant. Really happy with the progress.

Sure thing Indio! We'll hook something up!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Donny I am on vacation for 4 weeks starting the 10th, lets get in a game or 6

I'm not dropping out, just make it an afternoon round. I'm renting the cottage starting that day, and I have to give the guy the keys.
    For sure, since the green fee is $50 at 2:30pm one of my friends might drop out. Heck, if the wife doesn't let him donny might have to drop out! eitherway I'll let you know

"Richard"
    We will be booked for 230pm, I can only book 7 days in advance so I will book tomorrow at 6am

2:30pm is poyfect!

How about a tuesday twilight at stonebridge? July 11th? 430pm? I'll be playing with two friends already, one is going to CALGARY
    Sounds perfect to me. Book me! and confirm later. I have access to a computer at home now so I will get the message even in the evening or weekend.

PS. I only have 3 rounds in this year so don't expect miracles!

Mrs. Indio is letting you log on from home?????

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Mrs. Indio is letting you log on from home?????
    Mrs Indio (Bugsy) can't say much anymore since we now have 2 computers!

His and her computers? BRILLIANT!!!! What else ya got?

Thread Information