CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Bertuzzi for Luongo!!!

Any thoughts. Seems like a decent deal. I guess only time will tell.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    check the havlat thread....all the talk is going down there

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    I am a bit surprised that the Canucks gave up two youngsters like Allen and Auld. IMO, I think that there were other goalies that were less pricey and almost as good as Luongo. If the Canucks cannot sign Luongo for several more years, then it's not a good trade IMO. At least both Bertuzzi and Luongo have one more year left on each of their contracts before they are unrestricted.

I don't have a clue about the other guy that the Canucks got. A throw in?

Personally, the Canucks should have held onto the best deal available for Bertuzzi. They pulled the trigger a bit too early IMO.

Who's next? Morrison is a likely candidate.

Dave

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The Canucks must have already got something worked out with Luongo. I can't imagine them giving so much up without having a long term contract already worked out. If they don't, you are right...this is a terrible deal.

As for Brian Allen, he's a solid defenceman. He'll protect your star players, and plays well in his own end..even throws in a few goals here and there. He's nothing spectacular, but plays hard nosed hockey, and did a great job filling in when their defence core was so depleted this ear. I was surprised to see him in that deal, actually. He's pretty popular in vancouver, and has a bright future.

That said, I think they still got a pretty good deal. After this year, and his big contract, Bertuzzi was going to be tough to move, and they couldn't keep him in Vancouver. I do, however, think that they were too quick to give up on Auld as a starter. He played great this year, and given their lack of defencemen in the second half, he did a great job of holding them in it. They seemed stuck on the idea that he was the backup to Cloutier, even though he played better as a starter than Cloutier ever did. It always seemed though that Vancouver thought of him purely as their backup. I think its a shame because he may well turn into a very good goalie.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Intially, I was high on Auld when first played for the Canucks as a backup. However, I wasn't too impressed with Auldy last season. He somehow always managed to let one bad goal a game more often than not. The opponents were able to pick him apart.....by going upstairs all the time since Auldy seemed to have a tendancy to go down prematurely IMO. He wasn't a bad starter, but not great either....middle of the road type goalie. I am not totally sold on his "starter" label.....might be a good starter if he picks up and improves on his game and gets rid of the bad goal that seems to haunt him from time to time. At this time, he makes a good solid backup.

Between the two, I was surprised that Cloutier wasn't a part of the deal instead of Auldy. Too bad about Bryan Allen....he is a good solid 5th or 6th defenceman with some toughness. He had a decent year....could have been better like most of the Canucks. I recall that he had a few mistakes as a young defenseman.

Dave

Thread Information