100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Putters

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I don't think it's a matter of an explaination being "good enough for me". Nobody has actually "explained" the reasoning behind the pricing other than the fact that they feel and look great. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so that right there is a subjective comment. I haven't heard anything about special materials used or processes to manufacture these putters that warrants the price tag, nostalgic or not.

Like someone posted above, these putters are made ina factory where they make thousands of them, just like any other putter. The Tour players have them made and weighted specifically for them. I can see those putters being worth more because it's actually made in the Cameron workshop.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    But sometimes its just as simple as:

1) supply and demand- people want them, price them at a point where they will still buy them

2) Scotty does do R&D in his putters- check out some of the designs, very innovative

3) MSRP- sometimes that's just where the price point starts, plain and simple

4) some limited editions- don't make them anymore, price will be adjusted accordingly

These are some of the valid reasons that have been given. Sometimes there is no mystery, just something plain and simple. He's priced his equipment at a point that he thinks is fair and at a point that the public will still purchase his items at. I agree, some are astronomically over priced but someone still buys them. Some think its crazy, to others its a collectors item.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Just like a Ferrari or a Minardi. Want some caviar with that.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I don't think it's a matter of an explaination being "good enough for me". Nobody has actually "explained" the reasoning behind the pricing other than the fact that they feel and look great. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so that right there is a subjective comment. I haven't heard anything about special materials used or processes to manufacture these putters that warrants the price tag, nostalgic or not.

Like someone posted above, these putters are made ina factory where they make thousands of them, just like any other putter. The Tour players have them made and weighted specifically for them. I can see those putters being worth more because it's actually made in the Cameron workshop.
    Its been explained perfectly. the combination of prestige, quality, looks, the "poser" factor, and the simple rules of supply and demand explain just why he can charge what he does. He doesn't have to be using some crazy new material to be able to justify charging that. The only 'justification' needed for a high retail price is profit. By exploiting the public's perception of his clubs, he has been able to optimize his profit by charging more than what you have deemed a reasonable price (and I personally agree that it is ridiculous). Others feel that it is reasonable for the reasons above. Case closed.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Funny thing about this thread is all non-Scotty users with the exception of one realize how ridiculous a fad it is, and the users are replying in attempt to justify their equipment purchase.

That being said, I'd probably do the same if I owned one, but I wouldn't have an issue with accepting the poser title I don't think.

I mean hell, I'm guilty of buying a few things that were part of a fad, then I realizedthey weren't worth the money and hooplah, and felt like a dummy for spending money on them to see what the hype was all about.
    I am a long time Cameron user and I don't think I need to justify my purchase at all.. I will putt with what works best for me.. If I found a 20 Northwestern putter tomorrow and was making everything I would putt with that... For me its a Cameron.. I love the look and feel and they instill confidence for me.. And I play to a low single digit handicap.. I don't really believe its a fad either.. I am not a 100% but I believe Cameron does not pay tour players to use his putters.. Most companies do.. So when the number 1 putter is Cameron every year and guys aren't getting paid to putt with them that has to say something..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    If that putter is so good scotty, how come you're looking to change models? HAHA!! Just ribbin' ya, but seriously, why are you looking to change if you're making all your putts with it?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Thats not the putter I am using.. I am puttin with a Studio Design 1.. The other is my back up.. So I am looking for something different... I would really like another Studio Design so I can redo it in Pro Platinum... I am worried to do my gamer over cause I don't want it to change the feel.. But the PP is much easier to maintain..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I have a Red X2, and have had a lot of difficulty with my putting. Last week Lobwedge mentioned a forged TP Mills at a play-it-again, I went out and bought it and used it for the first time the day after, my distance control was much better and I never more than 2 putted all day. (good for me)

I have tried the other scottys and seem to do better with the anser style, plumbers neck, I like the Newport Beach probably the best, the Newport 2 second. I may at some point get one, but at the moment I am really liking my bargain TP Mills. In golftown I have tried loads of putters but always seem to end up putting better with the Scotty.

I do think that it is a shame that there are no demo putters to try on real greens as you can't really test the putters in the shop properly, it is just not the same.

Thread Information