Quote Originally Posted by jonf
Okay, but I bet that material isn't $700 more expensive. The two inch piece of fabric in the back of the neck that says "armani" is where most of that price tag comes from.

But I digress. We have already established that Camerons have a certain improved feel to them. People want putters with that feel. Only one guy makes putters with that feel. That guy only makes a certain number of those putters. That guy also realizes that golfers are the most insane bunch of people on the planet, so he slaps a hefty price tag on them. its a combination of supply + demand, and the fact that most golfers are a little out there

You can keep looking for a more concrete explanation than that, but I think that's really it. They feel great, they look pretty sweet, they are in limited supply, there is a niche market, and add to that the fact that there are a tonne used on tour, and you've got yourself one pricey putter.
Good points for sure. MANY players, INCLUDING the top players in the PGA use Odyssey putters, and YES! putters for that matter. Even some great players use TM putters, but I don't see the price tag even close to the Cameron.

Compare it to the driver or iron market. There really isn't one manufacturer doubling the retail over other manufacturers for iron sets or for drivers, so how does this happen for a putter?

I'd say Nike makes the most expensive driver on the market. I'm willing to bet their reasoning behind the price is that they are fairly new (within the last 5 years lets say) to the driver market so perhaps they need to make up for sales. We've established that many people use these Cameron putters so it's not that they need to have prices high so they can break even or make a profit.

We can also take the car market into consideration here. If I buy a Volvo instead of a Mazda, I am paying for the extra engineering and features the Volvo has over the Mazda eventhough the S40 and the Mazda 6 share the same frame. There are reasons behind the price tag difference, not just because the car says "Volvo" on it.

I don't think we can say the reason that Cameron putters are highly priced is because they feel good or look nice.

I just tried pretty much all of them tonight and I couldn't say that they had double the feel or looks compared to the other putters. All they basically had was double the price tag. I'm not just some gomer who shoots 130 either or doesn't know golf. I've been playing for over 20 years and have a 3 handicap. Obviously if Cameron made the absolute best putter and nothing compared to it, and it was double the feel and looks, then EVERY Tour player would be using them. We all know this is NOT the case, and many players choose Odyssey for their putter, including choker Phil.