CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Putters

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Putters

I just took a trip to Nevada Bob's here where I'm out of town for work. I tried out about 6 different Cameron putters because for some reason, this seems to be the fad nowadays. Then I moved my way over to the TM putters, then to the Yes putters. THEN, I look up, and I see these black putters. I took a closer look and they were the Nike Black OZ T100 and T130. Let me tell you something, there's no way, and I don't care how much you want to marry Scotty Cameron, that his putters are worth that kind of coin. Those Nike putters are $199 and feel nicer than the Cameron for half the price. I also enjoyed the Yes Marilyn which was also half the price of those Cameron putters.

Can someone please tell me why I should pay over $400 for a Cameron putter instead of the Nike Black OZ T130? What's so great about these putters that people are paying hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars for on Ebay?

PLEASE! Someone tell me.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    So everyone on here who has or wants to buy a Cameron putter is only doing it for image? Just asking, because that seems like quite a waste of money they could be using for lessons or perhaps half a set of clubs.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    So everyone on here who has or wants to buy a Cameron putter is only doing it for image? Just asking, because that seems like quite a waste of money they could be using for lessons or perhaps half a set of clubs.
    It's got a certain standing imo.People do buy them and they do sell them Failed experiment? Why would you pay $600 for a driver?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    It's got a certain standing imo.People do buy them and they do sell them Failed experiment? Why would you pay $600 for a driver?
    I don't think we can use a $600 driver for an example here because all major driver manufacturers price their drivers pretty similar. It's not like a TaylorMade driver is $600 and a Callaway or Titleist driver is less than half the price.

I'm speaking of Cameron in comparison to other putter manufacturers. Why are they double the price in some cases? Why do they sell for over $1000 on Ebay? Why is a cover with a shamrock on it for a Cameron putter worth $200 to some people?

I'm confused.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    From Economics 101....supply and demand determines market pricing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    From Economics 101....supply and demand determines market pricing.

Dave
    Not in all cases it doesn't. Lots of items cost more because of the R&D that is required in order to create the item. Materials used also determines pricing. Also, the more you sell the easier it is to sell for lower prices because you don't need to worry about sale numbers to make a profit.

Now unless I'm mistaken, Cameron putters are not made of 24k gold, nor are they made with anything ridiculously special for material compared to putters that are selling for half the price.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am with Dave.. those who like the stuff, like it a lot.. I say to each his own.. For me nothing feels better and most of all I love the look of certain models.. They fit my eye.. I am putting with a studio design 1 right now and making eveyrthing.. I love the way it feels.. I love the look and I make a ton of putts.. Averaging 28 putts a round.. So I whatever gets it done..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

And the reason the Shamrock cover is so expensive is due to the limited quantity.. Only 500 made.. There are a ton of collectors out there who must have one..

Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    I am with Dave.. those who like the stuff, like it a lot.. I say to each his own.. For me nothing feels better and most of all I love the look of certain models.. They fit my eye.. I am putting with a studio design 1 right now and making eveyrthing.. I love the way it feels.. I love the look and I make a ton of putts.. Averaging 28 putts a round.. So I whatever gets it done..
    So are you saying that the reason you first went out and bought that putter was because it nets you 28 putts a round? Not to sound like a * or anything, but I find that very hard to believe. There has to be something that attracts you to the putter before you've gone out and made all kinds of putts. Are you saying that if you used a putter that wasn't a Cameron that you wouldn't be putting as well?

Again, just curious, not trying to attack the Cameron owners.

Not at all.. I am saying that is the end result.. The first Cameron I bought I bought it because I love the way it looked and felt..

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Different strokes for different folks. I have two Cameron putters and I really like them, I haven't found another putter with a comparable feel.

As to your larger question, Scotty Cameron, a) makes good putters and b) is a marketing genius with the way he does limited release items. You see all the tour players playing them, then you see the collecter items going for huge bucks, and $400 seems reasonable. They hold their value much better than other clubs, they're cheaper than most brand name drivers, I can see people justifying paying the bucks for them.

What does the R7 425 TP go for, $850? Is it that a better way of spending money than on a $400 G5 or a $370 Circa 62? I think it's all a waste and would rather buy used clubs.

Not at all.. I am saying that is the end result.. The first Cameron I bought I bought it because I love the way it looked and felt..
    Fair enough.

This still doesn't answer the question of double the price tag of many major putter manufacturers.

Also a lot of people like to use what they are using on tour. And Camerons have had an unbelievable tour pressence for a long time..

good response spackler..

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Different strokes for different folks. I have two Cameron putters and I really like them, I haven't found another putter with a comparable feel.

As to your larger question, Scotty Cameron, a) makes good putters and b) is a marketing genius with the way he does limited release items. You see all the tour players playing them, then you see the collecter items going for huge bucks, and $400 seems reasonable. They hold their value much better than other clubs, they're cheaper than most brand name drivers, I can see people justifying paying the bucks for them.

What does the R7 425 TP go for, $850? Is it that a better way of spending money than on a $400 G5 or a $370 Circa 62? I think it's all a waste and would rather buy used clubs.
    How many people do you see buying an R7 425 TP compared to Cameron putters? I'd be willing to bet all of my golf clubs that there are probably a handful of people paying that for an R7.

Your Cameron putters I'm speaking of for double the price are not limited edition or "Tour" models either.

edmonton did you get my pm today?

Also a lot of people like to use what they are using on tour. And Camerons have had an unbelievable tour pressence for a long time..
    AHA! Perhaps you've hit the nail right on the head? So people are trying to mimmick the pros eventhough the putters the pros use are probably specifically designed for them and not available to the public?

Now you've answered the popularity question, but you still haven't told me what makes these putters as expensive as they are...

edmonton did you get my pm today?
    Yes sir. I sent the request to the address you gave me.

ok I will check right now.. if its there it will be sent..

ok I will check right now.. if its there it will be sent..
    Thanks.

Now back to these ridiculously priced putters.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    How many people do you see buying an R7 425 TP compared to Cameron putters? I'd be willing to bet all of my golf clubs that there are probably a handful of people paying that for an R7.

Your Cameron putters I'm speaking of for double the price are not limited edition or "Tour" models either.
    I don't think there are too many people paying $400 for an off the rack cammy either. There are lots of people on this site with them, and there are lots of people on this site with R7 and R5 TPs, but I would bet all of your golf clubs that only a small fraction of the people with either of those clubs payed full retail for them.

The cachet of the collectors items, and the tour items, really play a part in the value of an OTR Cameron putter. Like I said, he's a marketing genius. But he does make very good putters as well.

there are lots of people on this site with R7 and R5 TPs
    There are? The R7 TP from last year was not $800. The R7 425 TP and R7 460 TP are ridiculously expensive and not many people have them.

The number of people buying them has nothing to do with the debate anyhow. We've already answered why people buy them a couple of replies up. We've established that people see them on Tour and try to mimmick the golfers.

Now...can ANYBODY tell me why they are priced the way they are?

They also hold their value like nothing else in my opinion..

Oh....and most people who buy those Cameron putters pay MORE than what retail is for them because they get them off Ebay or other people who have them that sell them for over $400 US. I just watched about 10 putters sell on Ebay for crazy prices...All of them were Camerons.

I have a hard time believing anyone would pay over retail..

You must be seeing either limited putters, tour putters or older models that are impossible to get your hands on.. Current models go on ebay for well below retail costs..

I have a hard time believing anyone would pay over retail..
    Believe it my friend....Check this one out for instance...US DOLLARS..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Titleist-Scotty-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Then look at this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Circa-62-5-34-350...QQcmdZViewItem

Now the second one went to a custom shop and yes it's a sweet putter, but come on man.....Do you really think it's normal to spend that kind of coin for a putter? Whoever buys that has more money than brains.

You must be seeing either limited putters, tour putters or older models that are impossible to get your hands on.. Current models go on ebay for well below retail costs..
    Yeah...USED ones do. They should too.

Ok the first one is a Napa.. they haven't made these since around mid 90s.. They bring big cash cause you can't get em.. Second one like you said has been to the custom shop.. Its a 400 putter to start then to change the paint fill and finish you will be spending another 200.. So the seller has way more into it than he sold it for..

Thread Information