100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar

ball falling off tee

Yesterday i was playing and before my shot my ball fell off the tee. when i set up to address the ball fell and it did not go past the tee box. Is this a penalty ?

BirdieMan
    No its not a penalty, unless you took a forward swing at address...then it would be just like taking a shot, or swinging and missing the ball, its a stroke penalty.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    On the teeing ground, the ball is not in play until a stroke is made at it.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    If i was to so almost miss the ball on the tee , and it rolls maybe 4inches forward
    And clean in place is in play ....."winter rules"....

What is the status of the Tee if its still in the ground , and what rule is going to stop me placing the ball on top of the tee ??

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The teeing ground of the hole being played is not through the green, so winter rules do not apply

very good .......lets say I'm playing par 5 , and my drive hooks a ways offline .......finishing on another teeblock , right next to a tee thats been left in the ground " pretty much a fantasy senerio but ya see some weird things in this great game" ..........

Do i place it on the tee ? and hit driving again if practical

I suggest that under 1-4 you would not be allowed.

Ignore this, see 1dash1 below
    Last edited by AAA; 06-23-2006 at 04:26 PM.

this may be true ......wonder if its been tested

teeing ground being 2 clublengths behind the teeblocks ?
    if the ball is teed at extreme front , then the ball knocked a few inches forward isnt on the teeing ground anymore

whats the penalty for breaching rule 1-4 .....can you

wonder how many other situations there are that are not covered by the rules ........

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler
    If i was to so almost miss the ball on the tee , and it rolls maybe 4inches forward
    And clean in place is in play ....."winter rules"....

What is the status of the Tee if its still in the ground , and what rule is going to stop me placing the ball on top of the tee ??
    Kiwi Battler:

In most relief situations, once the ball has been played from the tee, the teeing ground is treated by relief rules as if it were "through the green", as explained by Decision 25-2/8:
    http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...25.html#25-2/8

However, since there is some uncertainty as to how your Committee may rule on the matter, I'd suggest that you play two balls under Rule 3-3 in stroke play. http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...ule03.html#3-3

The status of the tee, still stuck in the ground, is a Movable Obstruction.

If it is within the placement limits prescribed under the local rule (winter rules), you may carefully place the ball on top of the tee. You breach no rule by placing the ball on an obstruction.

(There are many relief situations where you may face dropping or placing the ball on an obstruction, such as taking relief from a lateral water hazard and dropping the ball on a cart path.)

However, if the tee should move in the process, the question of whether you improved the lie would need to be considered. This is covered under Rule 13-2.

(In particular, if you bent the tee over while placing the ball, then tried to undo the damage by straightening the tee; you'd be in trouble. You may worsen the lie, but once worsened you may not improve it - even if the improvement is merely to restore what was there originally, before you touched it.)

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler
    wonder how many other situations there are that are not covered by the rules ........
    Kiwi battler:

If you're talking about situations not covered precisely by the rules, as a computer would apply them, the answer is innumerable.

If you're talking about situations not decipherable by a properly trained Committee, the answer is relatively few. I've been officiating for seven years, I personally haven't run across a situation yet that wasn't covered by one of the rules or decisions. I honestly don't expect that I ever will.

And if you're talking about situations not decipherable by the average player, the answer is that nearly all the complex ruling situations occur when players fail to follow the rules and then compound them by doing further wrong. The average player doesn't need to know how forge a ruling on such matters. The average player merely needs to follow the rules in the first place, to avoid getting himself into complex ruling situations.

For most players, that simply means paying attention to what he is doing and playing the course as he finds - unless one knows for certain how to proceed otherwise. (If uncertain how to proceed otherwise, open the rulebook. If the player conscientiosly refers to the rulebook, he will soon learn everything he needs to learn to avoid trouble.)

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    I suggest that under 1-4 you would not be allowed.
    On reflection I should have responded with one of the basic rules about the Rules of Golf - if it doesn't say you can't then you may.

Lob Wedge DaGuy is on a distinguished road
    What about on the tapping the top of the ball on the tee and it falls off.... I seen this on an open event when Fred Couples tapped the top of the ball on the tee. It didn't fall off, but say I did and it fell.
    mmmmm...open face club sandwedge.. ughhh...

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    no penalty, not in play, the ball must be in play before peantly is applied. practice swing whatever, off the tee, no penalty yet till in play.

Thread Information