100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4+ woods

Gap Wedge pwr_fade is on a distinguished road

4+ woods

I'm wondering what is the advantage to getting a 4+ wood over a 3 wood?
    I'm looking for a new 3 wood. But my buddy said looking into a 4 + wood as well.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I've got a four wood and i guess the advantage is that you only need one wood, no need for the 5 and 3.

"Richard"
    The other advantage of a 4 wood is that its got more loft (usually 17* vs a 3 wood which is 15*). more loft = less slice. The distance you lose by losing 2 degrees, you will more than get back from hitting straighter. I will never go back to a 3w/5w combo when I can just stick with a 4w/60* wedge combo. Ebay has really cheap adams RPM 4ws, thats where I got mine

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    It all depends what your bag contains and what distance you get off each club. For me I think I'll be switching to a 4 wood soon - I average 240-245 with my 3 wood and about 220 with my 2 iron. I need something in between. I can sacrifice the 5-10 yds off the 3 wood and go for a 4 wood.

I might go for a 19 deg hybrid or rescue as well - possibilities are endless...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Well, there is a 4-wood, and then there is a 4+ wood or a "strong" 4-wood...

As mentioned, a regular 4-wood is generally around 17*. It is usually used when you only want to carry one fairway wood in your bag if you play a 3-iron, or one fairway wood and a hybrid/7-wood if you don't play a 3-iron.

I have a Callaway Steelhead III 4+ wood, and it is the same loft as the 3-wood (15*) but with the 5-wood shaft length of the same model. I believe Adams made a "strong" 4-wood that was 16*. So you're basically getting a 3-wood that is a little easier to control.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Thread Information