CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

orthotics and golf...an epiphany?

I think this is the right section for this. I've known for years that I needed orthotics. I had them about 5 years ago, but found they were in a pain in the ass - I play lots of sports so I had to keep switching them from shoe to shoe. When I needed a new pair I decided not to bother. Since then they've come up with more compact designs. Was going to get some about 8 months ago, but as a student in november, cash was reaaaaally low. I'm working now for the summer, so I went for an analysis today.

I did a gait analysis on a pressure sensitive pad - standing and walking. Lots of red when I was walking (too much pressure) but it was spread to a few areas. Next test was standing for 45 seconds - The heels were dark red, the rest was green and blue. My very first thought was (this is where you can tell I'm a golf addict) - HOLY CRAP, no wonder I never feel balanced when I'm swinging a golf club. Here I am thinking that I'm just some numbnuts who can't stay balanced (which always struck me as odd because I think of myself as very co-ordinated), when all this time, my feet are wreaking havoc with my swing. I should have the orthotics in about two weeks, and I am very excited to see how it helps my game. I'll post an update once I've got them...I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Where did you get it done?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Well, I hate to burst your bubble but I've had orthotics for about a year now and I don't think it has improved my balance significantly. An off-balance golf swing probably has more to do with your tempo and swing mechanics than your feet.

OTOH, golf is a 5-mile walk and orthotics has meant more comfort and less pain when walking. So I've found them beneficial for golf in that sense.

Interestingly, I wear them for everything except broomball - where balance is probably more important than any other sport. The orthotic can't go underneath the insole in a broomball shoe, and the hard shell was too slippery and made it too difficult to change directions. If anything balance was decreased instead of improved, but that could be different if the orthotic could be fitted under the insole instead of being right against my foot.
    Last edited by el tigre; 06-17-2006 at 08:10 PM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Where did you get it done?
    I actually did it at my chiropractors. Broadview chiropractic clinic is the name, I believe.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Solefit Orthotics

I've been wearing orthotics for 6 years now...don't know if they help my balance but like someone said my foot and ankles are more comfortable.

I was told those pads to determine your orthotic was not as good as getting a cast of your feet. The sports orthotic guy I've be going to gets you to lie on a bed and have your feet dandling over the edge. Then he takes a plaster cast of your feet in their neutral position(with no pressure points) and uses this cast to create the orthotic. What's great about him is he actually creates the orthotic on site and can make any modifications right in front of you. Most places will send the measures to a lab and this can take days or a week to get back. I've recommended Ryan Grant of Solefit Orthotics(www.solefitorthotics.com) to many of my friends(golfers, runners, cyclists) and they are very happy with his service.

Now your next challenge is to find golf shoes that are orthotic friendly

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    my othotics were done with same technique.(cast of your feet). The inserts one would buy from the shoe stores are nothing close to the customade ones. My set has hard plastic base and solf leather upper. I use them in all my shoes shoes and my ski boots. My new golf shoes are half a size larger and wide, the othotics fit in perfectly, no more tired feet after a long round of golf..

Ya, I'm getting a cast done too. The pad was just a preliminary examination - I will be going in to get them molded this coming week.

Glad you are getting the cast. The other technique doesn't make much sense.

I have 5 pairs of orthotics now...I can't live without them and switching from shoe to shoe really sucks.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    Glad you are getting the cast. The other technique doesn't make much sense.

I have 5 pairs of orthotics now...I can't live without them and switching from shoe to shoe really sucks.
    I paid almost $400 for my pair of orthotics - did you get some kind of bulk deal?

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I paid almost $400 for my pair of orthotics - did you get some kind of bulk deal?
    Nope. The first pair cost more since they have to take a cast. The pairs afterwards are less...you just have to bring in the cast of your feet. My health plan covers $300 per year so I just get a new pair at the beginning of each year.

Read this in the current issue of Golf Digest:

Podiatrists estimate that as many as half of all golfers could benefit from custom orthotic insoles. Studies indicate that orthotics prevent overuse injuries and can even improve swing mechanics and increase power.

this reminded me...I had been meaning to do an update. I got orthotics from solefit (got them a week ago) and have yet to try them for golfing (but will be doing so this weekend. They still feel a bit weird, but my knee pain is already diminished. BTW, when I was asked Ryan Grant how I was referred, I mentioned that I was referred by someone from a golf site who had purchased 8 pairs to date....he knew exactly who I was talking about bobblehead. I'm heading out for a round this weekend and will give a further update. I'm still gettting used to the feel of them, so I might not make 18 holes, but I hope to at least get a feel for how they are affecting my balance.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It takes about a week to get used to a new pair, especially if you haven`t had them before or for awhile. It just takes time for everything to reallign and for it to feel normal. Not only will you balance in your swing improve but you overall comfort and joint health will as well. Very smart investment!

Yep. I wasn't expecting them to feel great instantly, but have been very impressed so far. I gave them a fair beating the very first day, playing basketball for 2 hours (about as high impact as it comes). They felt odd, but definitely an improvement. I was really impressed with how quickly I felt a difference in my knees and ankles. I'm 20 and already have bad knees from years of soccer, hockey and other sports. The improvement over the last week has already proved worth the investment, and I can only imagine they will feel even better over time.

I agree with dbleber. It took me a week or two to get used to them and I had to get them modified during that time. My ankles used to pop/crack constantly and now have disappeared since wearing the orthotics.
    I think I'm Solefit's best customer Glad I was able to help you out.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    Read this in the current issue of Golf Digest:

Podiatrists estimate that as many as half of all golfers could benefit from custom orthotic insoles. Studies indicate that orthotics prevent overuse injuries and can even improve swing mechanics and increase power.
    Of course they would make that statement, they are in the business of selling orthotic insoles

I watch the Golf Channel one night and one of the fitness shows had a FootJoy rep on to talk about how to be sure your golf shoes fit properly. Now that was interesting, and he said a lot of golfers wear shoes that do not fit their feet properly. It is important to be fit for your shoes.

I was told I needed orthotics. So I went and got fit, and put them in my work shoes. Mine were paid for by company benefits so it was at no cost to me.

Now I wore them in my work shoes, which were running shoes. I did not wear them in my golf shoes. At the time I had been experiencing some soreness in my hips. The insoles did not help that at all. But for golfing, Bite golf shoes sure made a difference.

Come to find out, I have arthritis in my right hip, insoles are not going to help that

My feet did not bother me at work when I had the insoles in. Now I no longer wear them and my feet still do not bother me.

So I am undecided on whether they did me any good. I never ordered another pair.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information