5 12.50%
  • Miss the cut

2 5.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Did I mention I like to gloat?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    That was a good prediction jon. I was kind of on the fence. I figured Tiger wouldn't win and even a top ten was questionable. But figured he could've made the cut. But if there was a major he would falter on, it would be this one. Everything was just stacked against him on this one, lack of playing time, his father's death.

But one thing is curious to me. By no means am I a Tiger lover. Sure I like to watch him play, but I like watching others just as much. Not sure about all the resentment towards him. We've gotten to see many of what I believe to be the best athletes of all times in their respective sports (Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, Pete Sampras). Tiger has a shot to be known as the best golfer of all time if he can win enough majors and tourneys and I for one am rooting for him. We've been very blessed with our generation and the athletes we've gotten to see. One more would just make it that much better. Just my $0.02. I know the Tiger threads have been done to death, but just an observation of mine. We could always start another thread about this, but I don't want or expect any replies to this. Just got that sense from reading some of the replies in this thread.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I, personally, am not a Tiger 'fan' - I don't cheer for him, but I also don't cheer against him. I also agree that we are lucky to be able to witness his feats. The only thing I don't like about him is something entirely beyond his control, which is the media coverage. That said, as a young golfer I know he's had a huge influence on me, even though its not necessarily by conscious choice. On those rare occasions where I drain a long putt, or a birdie, or do something good, I'll throw in a little fist pump. Everyone does it now, but Tiger made it popular. YOu certainly can't ignore his influence.

As far as this year's open is concerned, as good as his mental game is, I just figured that, not matter how focused a player is, everyone has their breaking point as far as pressure is concerned. He's not perfect, and if ever there was a time where he was going to have too much pressure on himself (both internal and external), this was it....wanting to win it for dad on father's day, making a glorious comeback in a major. There was just too much on the line, and added to the fact he hadn't competed in a month, it just didn't strike me he would be as well prepared as he needed to be. I know, I know, its really easy to come up with an in depth analysis once he lost, but I swear, I already said it before.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I voted for him to miss the cut since he refused me a one-on-one interview when I first started my broadcasting career!!!

Not professional but I feel better now.

Nick

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I was just waiting to comment on this thread---read the whole thing twice last night and again this morning to try and figure it out.

I have a real problem with all the negativity towards Woods---man; the guy is only human. I have friends that say they cant stand the guy---#*&% they have never met the man. There are a few guys in various threads here that echo the same thing in their remarks--for the life of me I cant understand it>

I started to watch him 12 years ago more out of curiosity but after the second senior amateur I was hooked. We have all watched him go through his ups and downs, his momentary lose of composer; his losses and his wins---Jesus he was 18 years old when the media etc started to make predictions that were right up there with "the second coming"

Big deal he missed the cut--his mind was elsewhere----and dont tell me he had enough time to heal etc---I jst wonder how many of you guys have gone through this not to mention the whole world watching your every bloody move.

This man has done more for this sport and sport in general than anyone else---He handles himself well and is a real gentleman. Look what he has done for the kids; Look who his friends are and most of them are 10 t0 20 years older than him--that has to say something.

Sure there is lots of money etc behind him but did anyone ever think that his passions are his own?

Tiger Woods is a competitor and a perfectionist. Here is my prediction--he will be back but dont be surprised when he retires sooner than everyone thinks he should--his quote "I will quit when I cant win anymore" and beleive me there are a lot of guys coming up chasing his dream! That is just going to make this game that much better!

My .25 cents worth and I am a Tiger fan!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    I was just waiting to comment on this thread---read the whole thing twice last night and again this morning to try and figure it out.

I have a real problem with all the negativity towards Woods---man; the guy is only human. I have friends that say they cant stand the guy---#*&% they have never met the man. There are a few guys in various threads here that echo the same thing in their remarks--for the life of me I cant understand it>

I started to watch him 12 years ago more out of curiosity but after the second senior amateur I was hooked. We have all watched him go through his ups and downs, his momentary lose of composer; his losses and his wins---Jesus he was 18 years old when the media etc started to make predictions that were right up there with "the second coming"

Big deal he missed the cut--his mind was elsewhere----and dont tell me he had enough time to heal etc---I jst wonder how many of you guys have gone through this not to mention the whole world watching your every bloody move.

This man has done more for this sport and sport in general than anyone else---He handles himself well and is a real gentleman. Look what he has done for the kids; Look who his friends are and most of them are 10 t0 20 years older than him--that has to say something.

Sure there is lots of money etc behind him but did anyone ever think that his passions are his own?

Tiger Woods is a competitor and a perfectionist. Here is my prediction--he will be back but dont be surprised when he retires sooner than everyone thinks he should--his quote "I will quit when I cant win anymore" and beleive me there are a lot of guys coming up chasing his dream! That is just going to make this game that much better!

My .25 cents worth and I am a Tiger fan!

Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information