+ Reply to Thread
    Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar

Baseball/10 finger grip

I know there was a thread a while ago about the different kinds of grips...but I was just wondering if the baseball grip can cause certain flaws in the swing or contribute to a certain type of ball flight( I fight a slice with my driver...could my grip have something to do with that?) I was just curious because I know I am in the minority when it comes to using the 10 finger grip, and have experimented with the overlap but it felt so uncomfortable I just went back to the baseball. I have pretty small hands, so I find with the overlap that I don't have a proper grip of the club. Also curious why more people don't use the 10 finger grip? What do most pros/teachers teach as far as gripping the club?

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I switched to interlocking the pinky and index finger about 10 years ago. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but I found the following reasons and improvements were notable:

I do not grip the club too tightly anymore.
    I do not break my wrists, or turn then all over the place causing hooks and slices
    I do not swing as hard, since I am trying for a nice easy smooth fluid swing, instead of a homerun
    The club does not seem to move around in my hands anymore

This week I was drawn to trying it without the interlock, so I could position my right hand underneath a bit for a controlled draw on doglegs left. It felt so foreign after I few practice swings I just decided to stick with what was working, and an obvious improvement to my game since the changes.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    I learned to play golf with a 10 finger grip and stuck with it. I improved so much that I never even thought of using the conventional grips out there. If you are comfortable with the 10 finger grip and shoot good scores then stick with it. I learned how to play golf about 6 years ago and am self-taught and now shoot in the mid 70's to low 80's. I don't think I have played with a golfer that has the same grip as me, but it doesn;t bother me- it actually makes me feel better when then say how far or well I hit the ball with the weirdest grip (I also have a very strong/pronated left hand grip. C'est la vie!
    Bite, Bite!

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    I agree...I have only been playing for 2 years and have a 12 handicap, so I am pleased with how it is working for me. I am just skeptical of the 10 finger grip because a lot of the really good players or pretty much all players for that matter use the overlap or interlocking grip. I don't mind being different, but I just want to know if the overlap has more benefits which could help take my game to another level. I am also self-taught, but I just don't know if I should stick with the 10 finger grip...because the only reason I use it is because that's what comfortable. The funny thing is, up until the start of last season I thought I was using a standard grip until I noticed how other people were holding the club. I will probably stick with the 10 finger, but just curious to hear people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot
    I learned to play golf with a 10 finger grip and stuck with it. I improved so much that I never even thought of using the conventional grips out there. If you are comfortable with the 10 finger grip and shoot good scores then stick with it. I learned how to play golf about 6 years ago and am self-taught and now shoot in the mid 70's to low 80's. I don't think I have played with a golfer that has the same grip as me, but it doesn;t bother me- it actually makes me feel better when then say how far or well I hit the ball with the weirdest grip (I also have a very strong/pronated left hand grip. C'est la vie!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I have used the 10 finger grip since I started golfing 24 years ago. I did not know any better at the time so that is what I used.

I have tried switching my grip and I just find it to be uncomfortable to do so.
    As far as it having an effect on your playing ability, I think not. I have had my index as low as 4, so it sure doesn't bother me. I have had many rounds in the low 70's, 3 Aces, tons of birdies and eagles, so apparently that old ten finger grip works for me

I have had one Pro lesson and he told me "I do not care what grip you use, as long as you grip the club properly, which you are doing"

Hey Dave Barr uses the 10 finger and he has won on tour. Bob Estes uses it, he has won, and I think a few other guys on tour use it too.

Whatever is comfortable for you. As for slicing, that has nothing to do with how many fingers are on the grip, that is the position of your grip and your swing.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    I also use a 10 finger grip. as a baseball player myself it just feels better for me.
    Tiger uses a 10 finger grip with his wedges as well, so i doubt it has any affect on becomeing a better player. As golfbum said as long as your gripping it the right way.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    I switched to interlocking the pinky and index finger about 10 years ago. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but I found the following reasons and improvements were notable:

I do not grip the club too tightly anymore.
    I do not break my wrists, or turn then all over the place causing hooks and slices
    I do not swing as hard, since I am trying for a nice easy smooth fluid swing, instead of a homerun
    The club does not seem to move around in my hands anymore

This week I was drawn to trying it without the interlock, so I could position my right hand underneath a bit for a controlled draw on doglegs left. It felt so foreign after I few practice swings I just decided to stick with what was working, and an obvious improvement to my game since the changes.
    I am the same as you, including the fact I started with vardon grip overlap and switched to interlock about 7 yrs ago.
    However I have progressively moved from fade, to straight, to draw and now hook. Recently just for fun tried old overlap (which felt really odd) and everything was straight . So I am sticking with it for awhile.
    I have no idea if a interlock promotes a draw or hook, but it might, as going back to vardon has improved straightness immensely for me.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Thread Information