100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Need Advice - upset buyer

Okay, my doorbell rang about ten minutes ago. The guy I sold the Ben Hogan CS3 to is a little annoyed because the shaft broke. I sold it to him I guess about three weeks ago, maybe a little more. I sold it for exactly what I bought it for - $100. I swung the club about ten times at the range before I decided I didn't like it (it was last on my list).

I told him I'd get back to him by Monday, but I don't know what to tell him. Should I ask the guy that sold it to me if he has the original receipt????

Advice?????
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Well maybe not the answer you want to hear, but if it was me and the person asked for the money back, I would give it to them just to get it over with an move on. That is just the way I do business, and have no desire to have someone loose their temper perhaps and fling something through my window later. It pays sometimes to just take it on the chin and move on.

I bought a 5 wood from someone last year, for like $10 or something. First shot I split the dried up old wooden head, so I flung it in the bush and moved on. Was not even worth the time or drive to ask for a refund, of course $10 is much less than $100, but I think you see my point.

Of course you have know way of knowing what the person did to break the shaft, so it makes it tougher to decide how to proceed. Maybe offer to split 50/50 just to see it that will appease everyone.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Three days--no problem--give him his money. Three weeks plus --I like the 50-50 answer

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I say its buyer beware. You can't be held responsible for the quality of a used club, especially if you had no way of knowing that there was anything wrong with it. Add to that the fact that its been three weeks, and I'd say there's not much you can do. He got what you advertised when you sold it. It couldn't hurt to ask for an original receipt, but its doubtful one exists. Sure, it would be great to just give him his money back, but you have no way of getting the money back yourself, so that seems far from fair. If anything, I'd say you should offer to buy the guy a beer (maybe a few ) and be done with it. He can't really expect more from you.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If you have the original receipt see if you can get a refund/new shaft from the original seller. If not see if you can offer to have it reshafted and split the cost with the buyer. Like Jonf said you don't know what the guy did with the club. Maybe he went to the range and hit the mat before hitting the ground who knows. If you find a used shaft here I can replace it for you free of charge. If it's too much trouble take it back and sell the head separately.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Did he try out the driver beforehand? If you were watching him swing, did it appear that the shaft matched his swing (eg. reg flex shaft vs. <95 mph swing)? Was the shaft stock or did it appear to be reshafted? Was the head damaged in any way?

If the head was damaged, I would probably say too bad since it appeared that the guy swung it and damaged the head on something.

If the head is fine, his swing appeared to match the shaft flex and the shaft is somewhat inexpensive, it may be easier to give him the option of a full refund or get it reshafted at your cost.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Tough call Donny. Basically depends on your good nature . Only you can decide.
    I would think it would still be under warranty regardless of whether you had the receipt or not. He should be able to take it to any Hogan dealer and have it replaced. Hogan is owned by Cally now so it should have the same warranty service as any Callaway club, which in my experience is stupendous. I've sent several clubs to Callaway, many several years old and no one ever asked me for a receipt.

Gap Wedge alien270 is on a distinguished road
    after 3 weeks cmon now...
    i cant believe the buyer is even at youre door regarding this
    hey if you feel like being kind split the cost of reshaft?
    i wouldnt give the full 100 bucks back
    who knows what he did with the club for 3 weeks
    kinda scary though that some guy just knocks at youre door after 3 weeks

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I'm with alien270. 3 weeks is a long time.

I think your commitment to the buyer ends after they've decided to meets the grade via inspection and demoing.

Assuming you didn't know of a problem when selling it (and I am sure you didn't) then it's no longer your responsibility.

I think it would be extremely generous of you to offer any form of compensation (50/50 shaft replacement, etc).

I know that I personally would not expect help from the seller that far down the road.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

6 Iron daveyc is on a distinguished road
    I feel sorry for the guy and the fact that the club broke, but it has been three weeks. You shouldn't feel like you need to return his money.

Does anybody know the policy of retail stores in Ottawa that sell used golf clubs? Chuck Brown, GT, Bob's etc?

Does anyone know how to contact the local Callaway/Hogan rep? I can tell the buyer to contact the rep for a replacement. Or would he be better off going to GT or CB, and they'll send it to Callaway?

The shaft is an Aldila, one of the shaft options for the Hogan I believe.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Just take it to Chuck's and have them send it to Callaway. Or contact Callaway customer service thru their website. Can't remember it offhand but just do a search for Callaway Golf Canada.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    First of all, I am neutral here since I do not know either the seller or the buyer.
    However, my thoughts are this.
    The shaft was fine when the club was sold, according to the seller.

3 weeks later the buyer comes back with the club and the shaft is broken.
    Was there any explanation on how it broke? Where was it broke? At the hosel?
    3 weeks is a long time to own a club and then claim the shaft was defective. I mean some of us could play 20 rounds of golf in 3 weeks, that is a lot of swings with a driver.
    Was the shaft broken in frustration over a bad drive? Was the clubhead slammed on the ground? Was the shaft slightly defective and that caused it to snap? Lots of unanswered questions here.

The current owner of this club should take it to Chuck's as Reid says and see if the shaft can be replaced under warranty.
    To me the issue is this, when you sell a car as is, that means as is. The buyer can not come back 3 weeks later to tell you the brakes do not work.
    Buyer beware when it comes to buying used golf clubs from a private seller. You can ask if the seller will offer any time limits for defects to show up in clubs, other than that you are on your own.
    If seller and buyer can come to a mutual agreement on the shaft replacement then fine. If not then the buyer is on his own IMO.
    Just my thoughts.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Golfbum, agreed. Three weeks is a long time in the life of a golf club.

If it's a stock shaft, Hogan should replace it.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    3 weeks is way too long. I wouldn't give him any money...especially if he can get it fixed through a warranty.

This reminds me of a story of when we had a garage sale last year. A woman bought a mirror and a bunch of other items from us. The next day, she rings our doorbell and tries to tell us that her boyfriend doesn't like the mirror and she is asking for her money back. Sorry lady...we have no return policy.

Now, had she come back during the garage sale, then maybe I would have considered a refund.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I agree with what seems to be the concensus....3 weeks is far too long and you have know way of knowing what actually happened to the shaft. I'd suggest that you do the research on the warranty replacement so that you can give him clear instructions on what he has to do to get the club reshafted.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Unbelievable! After 3 weeks and who knows how many swings with it at the range and on the course.

And all it takes is one bad swing to break a shaft. Geez, I've seen guys throw their bag in the trunk and break a graphite shaft.

It's called a manufacturer's warranty for a reason (maybe he thinks you're Ben Hogan!!???). Tell him to take it to Callaway.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If you want warranty and refunds, buy your clubs new at GT or Chucks. If you want to get a good deal and buy a used club then you are taking the risk of not having that luxury. I wouldn't give him any money and I wouldn't offer to get the club fixed. They must have some contact info since I'm sure you didn't advertise a club for sale on your front lawn, to show up at your door is crossing the line. Frankly, someone comes to my door, after 3 weeks wanting a refund for a club that I have know idea what they have done with, will be digging deep to remove that broken shaft from their ass! Tell this guy to get lost and take the club to GT or Chucks and if they won't/can't do it under the manufacturer warranty then take it to a club maker and have it reshafted at his cost. The nerve of some people really gets me steamed!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    If you want warranty and refunds, buy your clubs new at GT or Chucks. If you want to get a good deal and buy a used club then you are taking the risk of not having that luxury. I wouldn't give him any money and I wouldn't offer to get the club fixed. They must have some contact info since I'm sure you didn't advertise a club for sale on your front lawn, to show up at your door is crossing the line. Frankly, someone comes to my door, after 3 weeks wanting a refund for a club that I have know idea what they have done with, will be digging deep to remove that broken shaft from their ass! Tell this guy to get lost and take the club to GT or Chucks and if they won't/can't do it under the manufacturer warranty then take it to a club maker and have it reshafted at his cost. The nerve of some people really gets me steamed!
    Apparently! Remind me to never return something to you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Agree with everything dbleber said..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Apparently! Remind me to never return something to you.
    3 weeks, who are you kidding?! That club would have been long gone by then if you were to buy it!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Touche!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Ouch.. LOL

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I agree with Denny 3 weeks get a life. The guy is OBVIOUSLY a bi tof a hot head though if he came knocking on your door. Why couldn' the call or send a PM. Either way it's used he's being totally out of line and if you do give him his money back than you basically fell into his intimidation trap. Tough luck buddy 3 weeks!?! that's 21 days and you have NO CLUE how he broke it. Seems to me like he just wants his 100$ back. DOn't be a sucker and also.

ALWAYS MEET SOMEWHERE PUBLIC when doing these things with people you don't know.

Either way I can't believe the nerve of him. Tell him if he wants it fixed to contact CB or GT like others have said it's a used good when you passed it on it became his asset / liability.

Now I bet if you talk to whoever you bought it off they'd laugh which is what you should be doing. May sound cruel but his request is totally unreasonable. No one likes telling someone to buzz off but cummon now he' has some nerve to show up and demand a refund.

Furthermore that's the risk when you buy a 400 or 500$ item for 100$! Jeez I hate thoes types of people.

He did say he lost my number so that's why he came over, and he didn't use the forum, his cousin does.

I don't think he'll have a problem going to CB, and I have no intention of refunding. Thanks for giving me your opinions lads, much appreciated.

Yeah you don't have to be a jerk about it like some our posts but you should definately assertively tell him whats what in a nice manner

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    someone comes to my door, after 3 weeks wanting a refund for a club that I have know idea what they have done with, will be digging deep to remove that broken shaft from their ass!
    good thing he didn't sell the guy a belly putter...OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    He did say he lost my number so that's why he came over, and he didn't use the forum, his cousin does.

I don't think he'll have a problem going to CB, and I have no intention of refunding. Thanks for giving me your opinions lads, much appreciated.

The one thing you never have to ask for on here is opinions!!! You get that whether you want them or not!!!

Again I agree

Thread Information