CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tadd Fujikawa

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Tadd Fujikawa

Lost in all the Michelle Wie hype was the fact that a 15 year old has made it into the US Open. Another Hawaiian child prodigy?
    Hopefully he plays well.
    http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/usopen/story/9492208

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I think he'll play well. The only thing is that at 15, I don't think you have the mental strength to overcome the pressure of an event that size.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Seeing these kids playing this level of golf is even more astonishing when I think about what I was doing at that same age.
    I agree though - I can't see how a 15 year old can handle that pressure, but it'll be fun to watch.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Seeing these kids playing this level of golf is even more astonishing when I think about what I was doing at that same age.
    I agree though - I can't see how a 15 year old can handle that pressure, but it'll be fun to watch.
    I don't know how much television exposure. The networks will probably all be on the Tiger Woods bandwagon considering that's the only reason they tune in.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm curious to know why no one is second-guessing this kid or his parents for trying to qualify for the US Open. He is 15, short of stature, and has not had the kind of experience that a Michelle Wie has had. Are the criticisms of Wie and her family predicated on the fact that she is woman and this golfer isn't? I would hope not.

In any event, I saw and interview with this young man and his family last night. Very inspiring. He has struggled from the moment of his birth - just over 1 pound in weight and over 2 months premature. He's a nice kid with the heart of a lion. His grandfather (a 6th or 7th degree black belt) taught him karate, if I recall correctly. The kid excelled, but decided to turn to golf. We may be all the better for it. I hope he makes the cut. One things for sure, he'll have a good time.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I'm curious to know why no one is second-guessing this kid or his parents for trying to qualify for the US Open. He is 15, short of stature, and has not had the kind of experience that a Michelle Wie has had. Are the criticisms of Wie and her family predicated on the fact that she is woman and this golfer isn't? I would hope not.

In any event, I saw and interview with this young man and his family last night. Very inspiring. He has struggled from the moment of his birth - just over 1 pound in weight and over 2 months premature. He's a nice kid with the heart of a lion. His grandfather (a 6th or 7th degree black belt) taught him karate, if I recall correctly. The kid excelled, but decided to turn to golf. We may be all the better for it. I hope he makes the cut. One things for sure, he'll have a good time.
    To me the main difference between this kid and Wie is that he qualified and he is not turning pro at an age where he should be learning to win among his peers. This is not a media circus because he is a prodigy, it’s because he qualified. The second youngest to do so. No free pass.

If Wie had qualified I would have applauded her.

This kid is tiny. 5.1 compared to VJ, Tiger, Els… I can’t wait to see this kid play, IF they give him TV coverage. I think he will be more impressed by the players around him then the event it self.

Go get’em kido.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    To me the main difference between this kid and Wie is that he qualified
    Agreed, I had actually never heard of the kid before he qualified, so there was no build-up and subsequent let down a la Wie.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    This kid is tiny. 5.1 compared to VJ, Tiger, Els… I can’t wait to see this kid play, IF they give him TV coverage.
    Hopefully he does well, it's a good story so you'd think the networks would play that up and give him some coverage.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    No one poopooed Michelle for trying to qualify, as far as I know. I think we all agree that we'd rather see her try and qualify then be handed a sponsor's exemption. Qualifying is open to everyone and anyone, and if you make it in then fill your boots.

Congrats to this kid for making it in!

There's also a little blurb in Golf Digest this month about a 16 year old girl in Arizona about enjoying playing and being a kid at the same time. She's the number two ranked girl in the US high school system.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

What ever happened that kid that shot a 57 in Alberta? Shouldn't someone be handing him an exemption?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    http://images2.sina.com/cnnews/sport...770_JUfIMC.jpg

Check that out; hardly bigger than a staff bag!

That's too much!! Apparently he averages 285 off the tee!

Thread Information