CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

Home built Frankenstein combo set

Well, I finally went and did it. I mixed my '72 Hogans in this weekend with my Tourstage Z101s. Was thrilled with the Zs, but just felt like I had more control with the short irons in the old Hogans.
    So Saturday I mixed in the 4,5,6 Tourstages with the 6,7,8,9, E of the Hogans. Played mediocre as usual so far this year (84 at Outaouais), but the experiment felt great.
    Sunday I went 4,5,6,7 Z101s and 7,8,9,E Hogans and shot my lowest round so far this year with a 76.
    The other unusual thing about combining these is that the Z101s are 2* upright (62* 5i), while the 72 Hogans are 2* flat (58* 5i). But who can argue with success?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Did you really play with two 7-irons?

If so, what was the criteria for chosing one over the other?

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Nice experiment Reid. I'm tempted to toss the 8-PW from my GS blades in with cavity back 3-7 from another set and see how that works out. Since the offset in shorter irons is less, and apparently a cavity back in shorter irons doesn't really help that much...combo sets make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

Since the 7i in a '72 Hogan is more like a current 8i (it could be between the 8 and 9 even) Reid's setup makes sense.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I had been playing with a mixed set off and on before my heart attack. I had my Wishon 550C 3-6 irons and the TNT Grinder blades 7-PW. I played that combo for a few rounds and I liked it. I went back to the entire set of 550C's though. Once I get out and about and golfing again, and get my swing back (Hey nothing like having 2 three month periods between golf in one year it's like having two winter breaks) I will go back to trying the combo set. All of my irons are 2 up so it doesn't matter which way I go, and they are all the same lofts give or take 1 degree.
    One thing I did notice, I was a bit shorter with the blades than the 550C's. But not much, and it might have just been my swing.
    So I look forward to going back to the drawing board in September. Then again, I might need those game improvement TaylorMade 200's in the bag when I get back out on the course
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

KickerofElves is correct. The 72 Apex 7i is about 3* weaker than the Tourstage 7i. I hit the Hogan 7i about 145 and the Z101 7i about 155. So the gaps between clubs are perfect with both 7 irons in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I had been playing with a mixed set off and on before my heart attack. I had my Wishon 550C 3-6 irons and the TNT Grinder blades 7-PW. I played that combo for a few rounds and I liked it. I went back to the entire set of 550C's though. Once I get out and about and golfing again, and get my swing back (Hey nothing like having 2 three month periods between golf in one year it's like having two winter breaks) I will go back to trying the combo set. All of my irons are 2 up so it doesn't matter which way I go, and they are all the same lofts give or take 1 degree.
    One thing I did notice, I was a bit shorter with the blades than the 550C's. But not much, and it might have just been my swing.
    So I look forward to going back to the drawing board in September. Then again, I might need those game improvement TaylorMade 200's in the bag when I get back out on the course
    Very cool Golfbum . When you're back on the course we'll have to get out for a combo dual. I've always wanted to hit the TNT Grinders!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Very cool Golfbum . When you're back on the course we'll have to get out for a combo dual. I've always wanted to hit the TNT Grinders!
    Reid if you make me an offer I can not refuse you could be hitting those Grinders next week! I can be bought off you know!

LOL! Like I need any more iron sets.
    Unless of course you're looking for some wedges...

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    LOL! Like I need any more iron sets.
    Unless of course you're looking for some wedges...
    No I am good in the wedge department now! Thanks .
    Had my 58 built last week. I just don't want to see any rust on those Grinders!

Thread Information