100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

By Pass Surgery. Have You Had It?

Ok guys I am curious about this. Some of you know I had a double by pass in late May. I am wondering if anyone else has had this proceedure, and if so how long was it before you could play golf again?
    I know the ribcage has to heal back up, and that takes between 6-8 weeks or so.
    So if anyone has been through what I am going through I would appreciate hearing about your recovery.
    I miss golf, I miss it really really bad
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I bet you miss it. You are a true Golf

Have not been there yet, but I am looking at a valve replacement in the future. They will use a pig's valve so that's approptiate I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I bet you miss it. You are a true Golf

Have not been there yet, but I am looking at a valve replacement in the future. They will use a pig's valve so that's approptiate I guess.
    Hi Dan
    Talk to your surgeon about a mechanical valve instead of the pigs valve. Reason being, when I was still in the hospital after my by pass one of the guys in my room was waiting to have a valve job done.
    The surgeon told him that the mechanical valve would last a lifetime. The pig one might have to be replaced 10 years down the road. Trust me, you do not want to have to go through that operation more than once. My roommate told me the mechanical valve can be noisy, you can hear it clicking when it opens and closes. But he sure was not in any hurry to come back 10 years down the road to have another operation. Man they cut you open like a turkey on Thanksgiving Day!
    Just something to discuss with your doctor or surgeon when the time comes.
    You are correct, I am a TRUE GOLF

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m glad I’m only 32 because I’m not in a hurry to get a tune-up.

My father-in-law is an avid golfer and he has an artery clogged at 60%. They are going to give him some type of balloon test to try to free it up.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    For all us younger guys reading I think the key is prevention. Luckily our bodies can withstand ALOT ALOT ALOT of abuse so it's never to late to pull out of the vice game and start letting it take some time to heal. <---- Note to self.

Sand Wedge Corkscrew is on a distinguished road Corkscrew's Avatar
    Had mine in June 2001. The key is to follow the breathing and stretching program properly, as well as walking only the distances dictated. You can wear yourself out and actually increase the recovery time. This should get you back on the course by August, but of course everyone heals at diffent rates. Good luck! Chris

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    My family has a history of heart problems so this thread is kind of freaking me out. This may sound like a dumb question, but other than exercise and eating right are there other things that can be done to avoid heart problems?
    Are clogged arteries caused simply by eating too much of the wrong fat?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    My family has a history of heart problems so this thread is kind of freaking me out. This may sound like a dumb question, but other than exercise and eating right are there other things that can be done to avoid heart problems?
    Are clogged arteries caused simply by eating too much of the wrong fat?
    The two you mention are the absolutely best things you can do.

Assuming you do that, the rest is luck and genetics. If you are really at risk a doctor may prescribe preventative medication.

I have MDs in my family, and you don't want to know all the bad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkscrew
    Had mine in June 2001. The key is to follow the breathing and stretching program properly, as well as walking only the distances dictated. You can wear yourself out and actually increase the recovery time. This should get you back on the course by August, but of course everyone heals at diffent rates. Good luck! Chris
    Well I am surely not wearing myself out here! It has been 3 weeks since I had the by pass. Currently I walk for approx 20-25 minutes twice a day. As far as the breathing goes, that is ok. I actually feel pretty damn good right now.

Others ask about abuse to your body. Let me say this guys, and I am not an ex smoker trying to be a preacher. However, if you are young and smoke, QUIT NOW. Trust me on this one! I know it is hard to quit, been there, tried many times and had the heart attack to make me finally quit. I quit the day I had my heart attack and you know it was actually not that bad as far as withdrawal symptons. So do yourself and your family a favour and just quit smoking.

As for eating, well I was not a strict health food eater by any means. Sure I likely ate food that I should not have eaten. I was a bit overweight, but not by any means fat & lazy. I played 150 rounds of golf last year and walked most of them. So it is not like I was a couch spud.

Being diebetic ups the risk of a heart attack by 25%, smoking adds another 25%, so there I was at a 50% risk factor at age 50. I wish I could turn back the clock, but I can't. So now I will look after myself. I have the second chance at life, a lot of guys do not get that chance.

I rode with my daughter today to her college graduation and I said to her "I am damn glad I can go with you today" She said "I am damn glad you can too Dad" It gave me a good feeling to hear her say that.

Besides, I could not die at age 50, I only have 3 ACES , I need the Albotros, and I want to win my flight in CLUB C Plus celebrate my 25TH Wedding Anniversary next year. Lots to live for.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    More power 2u bud.

Reading your quotes between your daughter and you brought tears to my eyes. Made me think of my two daughters in 15-20 years from now. Hopefully I’ll be around.

My Dad had a hart attack three years ago and let me tell I wish he woke up like you did. He is still smoking, drinking and eating bad stuff. Oh well!!!

I take care of my self, don’t smoke, never did, and drink on occasion. I’m eating better now cause I have a cholesterol problem. It’s hereditary. No hart problems in are family, just my Dad but my doctor said that my dad’s problems are self-inflicted.

Have a quick recovery bud.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I have a friend who was a competitive triathalete, very health conscious, who had a heart attack and a double bypass at age 40. It took a while, (enforced vacation from work, taking it easy on the training) but he is back doing everything he was before (although very closely monitored). Probably about a year before he was really training hard again. He said any time he tried to push the recovery schedule, he paid for it. The doctors really know best.

And then you have my grandfather, who passed away two years ago at age 94. Chain smoked unfiltered cigarettes from age 12, had a beer and shot of rye every day at 11am, and never ate anything that wasn't fried. Of course my grandmother passed away 10 years before him due to congestive heart failure despite never having smoked a cigarette in her life (don't tell me second hand smoke is harmless).

Who knows? All you can do is increase the odds of whatever your genetics are
    by eating right and getting more exercise. I need to work on both of those and nothing crystallizes it more than looking at your kid/s. Being around to watch my son grow up means everything to me.
    Last edited by spackler; 06-13-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Sand Wedge Corkscrew is on a distinguished road Corkscrew's Avatar
    First you ask for advice, then post a sarcastic reply "Well I am surely not wearing myself out here!"...

Should I reach out again???

Quote Originally Posted by Corkscrew
    First you ask for advice, then post a sarcastic reply "Well I am surely not wearing myself out here!"...

Should I reach out again???
    Saracastic? I did not mean to be sarcastic. I meant I am not wearing myself out by doing things I should not be doing. I am going by the book that the hospital gave me on discharge.
    I am following the instructions as to what they advise after surgery.
    The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone else who golfs had gone through it and how long it took before they were back swinging the clubs fully.
    Trust me, I am following the doctors orders.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Exclamation game celebration

OK Golfbum---here is an idea--How about you doing what you are supposed to do to get to the golf course--with your Docs OK--and all us guys who have had bypasses, stint implants and the like meet you there for a game---You can spend your down time organizing it????

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    OK Golfbum---here is an idea--How about you doing what you are supposed to do to get to the golf course--with your Docs OK--and all us guys who have had bypasses, stint implants and the like meet you there for a game---You can spend your down time organizing it????
    Now that sounds like a hell of an idea big mac We could call it the By Pass/Stints Open. Anyone is allowed to enter, but the guys with the chest scars get 3 strokes aside
    Hold it on the national Heart & Stroke Day (I think there is a day for that isn't there? If not we will start one!)

Do we meet half way between Windsor & Ottawa?
    As for me and the golf course, I am going out on Father's Day, but just 18 holes of walking/riding and dropping a ball on the greens and putting. My goal is late July/early August to be back on the course, I talked to my doc about that today.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Windsor????

I am heading for Cambridge in Mid July for 10 days---do I use my driver or 3wd to get to Windsor? I thought the idea was good--lets see what others say.

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    My Dad had a quad bypass, first week of January a few years back. He had some complications, they had to open him twice, which made for a longer recovery. He made his debut for the season around early June if I remember correctly. From that point on he got his usual 3 rounds a week in. He was early 70s at the time.

Thread Information