CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Finally, a breakthrough

It's been a long time coming, but I finally broke 90 with an 87 at the Canadian today. I've been hovering around 91-92 for about three years, and there has been something stopping me from doing it. Its a great feeling to finally have it out of the way - hopefully many more to come. The funny thing is, I really wasn't playing well. Lots of errant drives, only 4 GIR, irons were inconsistent. I did have a few nice putts, but most of them were 10 footers after leaving the first one short or blowing it by. My saving grace was my lob wedge, which got me out of more sticky situations than you could imagine. Lots of pins close to the edges today, and I always seemed to leave myself behind a bunker with about 5 feet of green, but managed to make them stick. I was so pleased to break 90, and yet so dissatisfied with my play...funny how this game works.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Congrats! Now that you did it once, it'll be easier next time.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Congrats!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Good work Jon, was that a result of slowing the swing down in any way by chance.

Keep working it.

Well, not exactly slowing down, but no crazy John Daly style swing either. Funny thing is, the only 2 drives that went straight were the ones where I swung a little harder - I think the trick is that I have to find the middle ground. When I swing really fast, its just a massive slice, and if I slow it down too much, I usually end up with a sweeping fade that rarely manages to catch fairway. I just need to figure out my happy place and make it repeatable. I'm still experimenting a bit with the drivers too. Hopefully within a week or two I will have the right one for me. All in all though, it was a really encouraging round - I played like crap, and still scored well.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Well done John, did you get that putter to work for you?
    Youv'e got the swing , i'm sure you'll be closer to 80 by the end of this season!
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

The putter was weird today. Couldn't figure out the weight, or the line on my first putts, so I was left with a lot of tricky second putts of the 8 to 12 foot bender variety. I was money from that distance though. Only made 3 3 putts (which is still 3 too many, but better than 6), and did manage to sneak in a few one putts. It wasn't great putting by any stretch, but I seemed to be making the ones that I really needed.

I just had another look at the scorecard, and realized that I played the par 5s at even par for the day - 2 pars, 1 birdie, 1 bogey. I think that was a first for me. Definitely a lot of positives, and as always, lots that I need to keep working on.

Thread Information