+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Pain

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Elbow Pain

Anyone else ever get super bad pain in there elbow? My right elbow;I also hit right is in pain. Started last night and to the point I have a grimace sometimes just doing normal household chores. Anyone else ever get this? I get very little rest; I play almost everyday and haven't stretched since April could those be the main factors?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Golfer's elbow is a fairly common injury.

Hate to say it, but I think you're going to need to take a break to make it go away.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I agree with jvincent. For me, mild elbow pain is a sign that my backswing is going past parallel and I'm coming over the top. That move puts a lot of stress on my right elbow. It can also happen if my swing gets too "armsy" and I don't shift onto my left side properly.

Rest it for a bit, and when you come back only take 1/2 or 3/4 swings with an easy tempo and balanced follow-through. Less pain and your shotmaking will probably improve too.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Argh! I was hoping to be more armsy as my right knee is also killing me. I hate resting during the summer when we have all winter to do nothing in this god for saken city! Oh well thanks for the advice and maybe I am coming to far back it started on the 17th last night.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I think I read that golfers elbow for right hand players is in the left arm, due to sharp straightening at impact. I have this problem, and a pro teacher said that is why.
    I think the right elbow pain is another problem.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I had something similar due to work and was diagnosed with tendonitis, even though most of the pain was at the elbow. The thing that helped most was the little strap you put on your arm with a pressure pad in it. These are available in most pharmacies or sports shops, but the doctor recommended resting it also.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    It is also known as "tennis elbow" or "carpenters elbow" as I have it as well--in my case as I am a lefty it is in the left arm. I have built houses and swung my hammer with the right arm--had the same problem. The doctor said it was from the shock of a)coming in contact with the ball and b) coming in contact with the nail---repeatdly. I purchased a shock absorbing band at the drug store and it worked great--around 30.00.

Gap Wedge perrsco is on a distinguished road perrsco's Avatar

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Anyone else ever get super bad pain in there elbow? My right elbow;I also hit right is in pain. Started last night and to the point I have a grimace sometimes just doing normal household chores. Anyone else ever get this? I get very little rest; I play almost everyday and haven't stretched since April could those be the main factors?
    A golf injury that leads to the reduction of household chores... ok, I hope I don't get this, my significant other will kill me!!!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

Had the same thing in the summer of 2004. During that winter bought some irons with graphite shaft. Bingo....no more pain.

It comes from the vibration when your irons hit the ground. The harder the ground is the more vibration there is and the more your elbow hurts. If you shoot right it is usually your left elbow because your left hand is at the top of the club and vibration goes up your left arm.

Like I said graphite shaft did the trick for me.

Good luck,

Jean-Guy

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartedly, I had the same problem the last few years with my hands hurting after shooting too many irons shots. It hurt so much one time I had to sit out 3 holes in a row as I simply could not grip strongly enough to even swing the club properly without intense pain.

Now I have new irons with graphite shafts and nice grips, have not hurt my hands a single time since using them this year.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Though i dont have problems with my elbow, I do have a very bad back and knees due to baseball(catcher for 15 years).I was diagnosed with arthritis in my back and knees as well as a deterioration of the spine.My advice to anyone with joint pain is to streghthen the muscles and tendons around the joints. Go to the gym, or if its not in your budget or time is a factor stretch and do some streght training with small amounts of wieght.In the past ive had days that i could not get out of bed without someones help,even had an ambulance called for me because i pasted out from pain. Since joining the gym and streching on my own ive felt little to no pain.

Yeah.

I spend about 8hrs + daily on thecomputer normally typing; than I hit about 2-400 balls daily which could explain the pain. Must start stretching it seems like a cheap alternative to "buying graphite" lol.

Thanks!

Yeah.

I spend about 8hrs + daily on thecomputer normally typing; than I hit about 2-400 balls daily which could explain the pain. Must start stretching it seems like a cheap alternative to "buying graphite" lol.

Thanks!
    I am 8hrs+ a day on a PC as well, and I can tell you FOR SURE that the stretching will help immensely, and not just for an elbow. It is also FREE, and you can easily do it a lot while reading threads or waiting for a reboot or whatever. It is SO HELPFUL, I have found I do not NEED to go to the chiropractor any more. Strecthing in a really hot shower is also great for loosening up those tight mucles that get stiff from sitting at a desk too long.

Try on of those ball chairs too, they are utterly amazing.

Bahaha I gto back from Chiropractor last night. Always think it's weird how they crack your neck. I know I have a list of stretches here I should I maybe do 1 set of 1 stretch a day than get sidetracked. Must start. Today it is. got a list of ones you like? I think the elbow pain is more attributed to computerusage than golf. Gofl was just the extra little bit it cant take.

LOL, you may be asking the wrong guy, I have not had success sticking to the regiment of ones offered. I sort of do stretches but combined with the right movement after a stretch or two can equate to an adjustment. If I put my hands on the top of each shoulder, thus creating a chicken wing so to speak, and extend the elbow, the start rotating motions slowly, I will often crack the top two or three thoracic vertabrae, so careful with that one.

I like to put my hands over my head, and stretch as high as I can, then alternate bending and elbow on each arm while grabbing the wrist with my other arm and stretching (may result in some popping in the shoulder.

Flexing and bending in different position for arms and legs of and on, standing up and stretching, or reaching for my toes alternately, to keep from getting to stiff.

just simple stuff like that has made a tremendous change? Lol I wonder why I keep feeling the same way but continually live ground hog day!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I think the elbow pain is more attributed to computerusage than golf. Gofl was just the extra little bit it cant take.
    Try a mouse pad with a padded wrist support and/or get a wrist support for the keyboard, and make sure your keyboard and mouse pad are at a comfortable height.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

7 Iron PinHigh is on a distinguished road PinHigh's Avatar

Here is the answer

I have a ball in the corner of my office.... maybe I will try it. But this is what is working for me right now.

For the pain in my knee I wear a Double cross banded neo-prean sports brace (not a J-brace).

For the pain in my forearm and elbow I wear a band that absorbs the shock (right below the elbow- from any drugstore) and I take a voltaren (pain relief and anti-inflamatory) and I self medicate on the course as needed (cart girl, flask of Patron tequilla ect..)

Seems to work

As for my pain in the arm - it is none of the above. It is from a desk job, however in my case my muscles are strained sitting in one position all day so they swell up and tighten up and press on the nerve that runs through my arm so I feel pain here there and everywhere!! The only prescription was massages and the voltarens

Pinhigh
    "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know... credit trouble"

I hear ya we aren't designed to sit at a desk all day I get the same pains all over as you do will try the band below my elbow I wanna play today but not sure if I can. It stinks as short as our season is!! Darn desk jobs I wont have any hands by the time I'm 40 at this rate.

Ahh I hate how work gets in the way of golfing.

Hey guys---the real secret to the problem is to "RETIRE"---just kidding--hope the arm band works

7 Iron PinHigh is on a distinguished road PinHigh's Avatar
    I just checked my 6/49 ticket...no retireing today.
    I am looking at being in a wheelchair by the time I am 35 let alone 40.
    But its interesting I worked in a bakery for 10 years putting myself through highschool and university. never had a problem, but now that I am sitting at a desk 8 hours a day I am falling apart! what has helped is stretching and excercise I signed up for a pilates classfor the past three months... wow I feel good... And I am in a class that is full of women = win win, helps the game and helps the game

pinhigh
    "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know... credit trouble"

I'm25, been on the computer my whole life I feel like i'm 80 just typing i get pain in my hands. I dont knwo how i'm going to last 40 years at a desk. I'd rather do that though than labour. Either way it's a lame scene.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

elbow pain

I am not an expert, but i work as a physio assistant who suffers from chronic golfers elbow. You need to ice it few times a day,and i dont mean resting your arm on a cold beer bottle although that could work.Use a frozen bag of peas carrots etc..If you can take MOTRIN or something to take the swelling down and here comes the bad news, you need to see a physio for treatment. It really works and last but not least, give your arm a rest.I know you dont want to hear this but take it from me ,rest and tratment is the best . Hope this helps, cheers
    Mark

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Button line - stop household chores

I don't do household chores not sure why I mentioned it lol.

Played 18 yesterday at Metcalfe some pain but I just swung alot slower!! I just have to cut MSN outof my diet and I should be able to play w/ bearable pain.

Goign to PHysio as well hell It's part of my benefits I'll be damned if I dont use it.!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    For all you desk jockeys out there, make sure you get your office / cube / chair / desk / keyboard height set up properly.

If you don't, as some of you already know, you will be in for a world of hurt, not just figuratively.

FWIW, I've been riding a desk my entire career, and I've managed to avoid repetetive strain / bad ergonomics type pain for 16+ years.

While I'm at it, to avoid eyestrain, make sure you take a break from your monitor a few times a day and allow your eyes to focus on things at a distance.

4Iron
    Big Mac: I am shocked when that happens too!

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    The doctor said it was from the shock of a)coming in contact with the ball

Nice comeback "4iron"--its really too bad it does not happen more often!!!

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    I have suffered so much from this all winter. Im right handed with Tennis Elbow left arm . Minor Golf Elbow on the right. I am very worried, lots of Physio, Icing- it hurts.
    Started in December plowing into the Cold ground.
    Hitting on Mats is a bad, I haven't hit a ball in a few weeks and little improvement.

RB
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Hi RB--sorry to hear about the pain--I had a real bad case of tennis elbow--exactly the same as golf elbow in the fall. It hurt like hell and physio did not help.. Fianally in lat January I went to see Dr Gauvreau at thr Ray Friel Clinic in Orleans. I have seen him in the past and he is really great. To get rid of the pain he suggested ONE cortison shot not a series of shots--too many are not good---The pain was gone completly in 36 hours----but you still have to strenthen the muscles etc. The appoint is covered is OHIP and the shot is 25.00 Give them a call--Right now I am heading for game # 8 on Hilton Head Island

I guess 250 mile drive is out of the question?--Any good physio centre should be able to help
    Last edited by big mac; 03-22-2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: wrong city???
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information