100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron Darin_CS is on a distinguished road

Grounding club in a bunker.

A few years ago I remember seing on TV Sergio Garcia hit his bunker shot over the green into the same bunker(the bunker wrapped around one entire side of the green). He didnt notice that his ball was in the bunker and grounded his club while leaving and got penalized 2 strokes.

Now, my question is, if the bunker he hit it into was a completely different bunker would he stil have been penalized. (I think the answer is yes, but I want this confirmed.) So basically this question can be extended. If your ball is in a hazard, any hazard (bunkers, water etc) can you only NOT ground the club in the hazard you are currently in?

This issue came up a few years ago in a junior tournament. One guy in my group hit his ball in a water hazard, and while walking up the fariway he was beating his club into the grass of another water hazard in anger. We didnt penalize him because it would have been pretty silly, also we didnt know for sure anyway, it still made us think about it.

Thanks!!

Darin Amos

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    It's covered by Rule 13-4 but be careful when you read it. The words are very specific.
    eg 13-4(a) mentions 'any similar hazard' (b) doesn't
    Note 2 may be relevant

Haha, I love how its so specific.......................... Similar works I guess

1dash1
    Darin:

In the context of Rule 13-4, "similar" means from one water hazard into another water hazard or from one bunker into another bunker.

However, as to your original situation, there is no penalty for touching grass in a hazard - so I'm not sure what penatly you were alluding to for the player "beating his club into the grass".

Well, in the process his club was hitting the ground.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin_CS
    Well, in the process his club was hitting the ground.
    There is no penalty as he will not be playing his next stroke from within the water hazard. He would obviously be taking a drop.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    In the Sergio scenario, would there be a penalty for raking the trap if technically he is still in the same trap?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry
    In the Sergio scenario, would there be a penalty for raking the trap if technically he is still in the same trap?
    From Rule 13-4:

After making the stroke, the player or his caddie may smooth sand or soil in the hazard, provided that, if the ball is still in the hazard or has been lifted from the hazard and may be dropped or placed in the hazard, nothing is done that improves the lie of the ball or assists the player in his subsequent play of the hole.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Sand Wedge hacker1 is on a distinguished road
    THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A STRANGE QUESTION
    BUT HOW DOES ONE TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WASTE BUNKER AND
    A NORMAL SAND BUNKER
    i KNOW WASTE BUNKERS ARE USUALLY LARGER
    BUT HOW ELSE DOES ONE TELL THE DIFFERENCE
    THANKS DAVE

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker1
    THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A STRANGE QUESTION
    BUT HOW DOES ONE TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WASTE BUNKER AND
    A NORMAL SAND BUNKER
    i KNOW WASTE BUNKERS ARE USUALLY LARGER
    BUT HOW ELSE DOES ONE TELL THE DIFFERENCE
    THANKS DAVE
    There is no such thing as a "waste bunker". There are only "waste areas", which are not bunkers. A "bunker" is defined as:

A “bunker’’ is a hazard consisting of a prepared area of ground, often a hollow, from which turf or soil has been removed and replaced with sand or the like.

Waste areas are not hazards. They are treated in the same manner as the rough.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Bottom line here. If you have any doubts as to whether it is a waste area, or a bunker, then don't ground your club.
    If you have any doubts about that wrap around bunker at that green that you just slapped it out of one side and into the other, then don't ground your club.
    If you do not put yourself in the position to break the rules you won't break a rule
    Good Advice from a long time golfer who still doesn't know every damn rule in the book!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Played at Eagle Creek this morning. It would seem that the distinguishing mark for determining if it was a bunker, or a waste area filled with sand like in a bunker, was if there were any RAKES or not. The waste areas did not contain any except for one tiny portion of one bordering the side of one Par 3.

Good point zoic. Since the definition said "prepared ground" then if there are rakes, they must want you to keep it "prepared", if not then its a waste bunker. The great thing about a waste bunker (or area) is that the sand is actually considered a loose impediment, so you can brush it away as long as the ball doesnt move. I saw Stewart Cink do it on TV a couple years ago.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    On Friday I was watching the seniors golf and one of the guys sand shots did not make it out of the trap. I was surprised when he used his club to smooth the sand before hitting his next shot. None of the announcers said anything so I guess it's OK but it's strange that you get a penalty for accidently grounding the your club in the sand but not for smoothing it.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by larry
    On Friday I was watching the seniors golf and one of the guys sand shots did not make it out of the trap. I was surprised when he used his club to smooth the sand before hitting his next shot. None of the announcers said anything so I guess it's OK but it's strange that you get a penalty for accidently grounding the your club in the sand but not for smoothing it.
    After making the stroke, the player or his caddie may smooth sand or soil in the hazard, provided that, if the ball is still in the hazard or has been lifted from the hazard and may be dropped or placed in the hazard, nothing is done that improves the lie of the ball or assists the player in his subsequent play of the hole.

Thread Information