CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Intersectionals?

So? Anyone have one or two good qualifying rounds this weekend?

I’m extremely satisfied with 63 points.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Had high hopes. But after my measly 24 and 20 pts efforts I don't think the team is in my future for a second year in a row.

Nice job on the 63 pts though. That's two solid rounds.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Had high hopes. But after my measly 24 and 20 pts efforts I don't think the team is in my future for a second year in a row.

Nice job on the 63 pts though. That's two solid rounds.
    Thanks Geoff. Played 73-76. Like I said, very satisfied and makes next Saturday a lot less stressful.

How many points does it take to get in in 10th position at your course and what course is it?

Mike

I'm a member at Mountain Creek. This is only my second year as a member. If I remember it took 58-59 to make the tenth spot last year. It was a good competition last year to make the team. This year I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 55-57 to grab the last spot. Guys just not playing as well this year.

I was really hoping to compete for a spot this year. But I've been struggling with my game and unfortunately am too far behind to make a charge this year. I'd have to put up a sub par round and I've never done that before in my life.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Had a good weekend. Sitting tied for second with 62 (28-34). Definitely makes next Saturday more relaxed. With the first place guy sitting at 70, it will be hard to beat him even if he does not play next weekend. Get to go out in the first group and just play for skins that day.

G.

Good job Garth.

Out of curiosity, how many rounds does it take it at your clubs respectively to qualify? Ours is best two of three. Heard Arnprior is best two of four. Wish I had an extra round.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    Had a good weekend. Sitting tied for second with 62 (28-34). Definitely makes next Saturday more relaxed. With the first place guy sitting at 70, it will be hard to beat him even if he does not play next weekend. Get to go out in the first group and just play for skins that day.

G.
    N1 Garth.

I sit tied in first. Never been there before. My spot in the team is guaranteed for the third straight year but I always qualified around 8th spot. I’m playing next weekend with a mission, finishing top three but hopefully #1.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Wish our course had 4 rounds as well. I'm a new member at Pakenham this year and was looking forward to playing intersectionals but the problem is 2 of the 3 qualifiers are this Sat & Sun & I'm gone all weekend so I can't even attempt qualify.

Congrats to you guys who are playing intersectionals, that used to be the highlight of my year.
    Good luck lads.

Thanks. At Vieux Moulins we do 2 of 3. I too am guarranteed for the 3rd year in a row.

As for competition it is probably the most nerve racking of any tournament I have played in since you are trying to play well not just for yourself but for the other 9 guys on the team. Way more stressful than the OVGA events or the Citizen IMHO.

It is also probably the most cutthroat day of golf you will play in the whole year. Never seen so many un-conceded putts!

Nevertheless it is fun, no?

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    It is also probably the most cutthroat day of golf you will play in the whole year. Never seen so many un-conceded putts!
    In my foursome last week-end, no conceded putts at all! I played decently but my spot is far from being certain. I struggled a bit on the last holes (shot 77-79) but will do better next Saturday; if I can avoid those doubles that are killing me this year ...Well done Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by big easy
    In my foursome last week-end, no conceded putts at all! I played decently but my spot is far from being certain. I struggled a bit on the last holes (shot 77-79) but will do better next Saturday; if I can avoid those doubles that are killing me this year ...Well done Mike...

Sorry I meant conceded putts during the actual Intersectional matches, not in qualifying.

Steph, I’m confident that you will make the team. I’ve been told Saturday that you can easily play a 30+ point round.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I've played for the team everyyear that I have been a non-junior member, but
    I am not eligible to play this year

Would have been fun to play again, especially w/ home course advantage.

As for our team, it's picked based on a 2 day qualifier, no best of X rounds. Both count.

I think our team will have #10 coming in with around 52-55 points. 50 at worst (I hope LOL)
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Our qualifications are this weekend and next weekend - best 2 of 3. The past two years, we needed two sub-75 rounds to qualify (65 pts+ required).

First year I played 74-79-75 to qualify (67 pts). Last year was 79-76-80 (61 pts). Didn't qualify.

This year so far, best round has been 76 so not getting my hopes too high...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    ...I am not eligible to play this year
    Why not (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I think because Nat is an assistant pro.. therefore a non paying member.. ? I wish we had an intersectional team
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    Our qualifications are this weekend and next weekend - best 2 of 3. The past two years, we needed two sub-75 rounds to qualify (65 pts+ required).

First year I played 74-79-75 to qualify (67 pts). Last year was 79-76-80 (61 pts). Didn't qualify.

This year so far, best round has been 76 so not getting my hopes too high...
    Wow, sounds like a tough team to make. Where do you play out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Wow, sounds like a tough team to make. Where do you play out of?
    Greyhawk

Greyhawk
    Do you guys have one team for Grayhawk or one team for Talon and one team for Predator? I guess one team out of 900+ members is quite the team to make.

Mike

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Mike,

They just have 1 team from the club. I don't even try for the team, hahahaha.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Do you guys have one team for Grayhawk or one team for Talon and one team for Predator? I guess one team out of 900+ members is quite the team to make.

Mike
    One team only. The OVGA won't allow more...

Why not (if you don't mind me asking)?
    I'm an assistant, but do not have my card which means I have a valid RCGA handicap card so if I pay membership dues (i.e. the 100$ or so that goes towards member's costs) & the 30$ tourney fee I should be eligible.

This has happened in the past, and it is within the rules but the commitee will not allow me to 'buy in' to the membership (despite the fact that I won a championship last year & $$ towards this year's membership that was much greater than the 100$ they want).

And i'm not going to get into the details re: our member's committee, it would be embarassing for a mod to get his posts deleted

I think because Nat is an assistant pro.. therefore a non paying member.. ? I wish we had an intersectional team
    See my above post

Why don't you have a team? Not enough players, or does your club not pay RCGA dues / or not want to participate in the program? The lower brackets just need 10 players with a pulse to get a team going (like us, Go M bracket LOL), several have 17-20+ hcp players on their teams in M, N, & O, so if you are eligible to submit a team, it's worth it regardless of the skill level of your top 10.

One team only. The OVGA won't allow more...
    WOW! Do you play from the gold or blue tee’s? Must have lots of sub-par rounds in the top 5. How many points does the top player get?

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    WOW! Do you play from the gold or blue tee’s? Must have lots of sub-par rounds in the top 5. How many points does the top player get?
    Blue tees but sometimes they are "strong" blues which means a mix of golds and blues (i.e. they put the blue tees back).

Usually, we only see a few rounds under par. Last year's top player had something like 74 pts with a round of 69 in there on Talon. I think that 69 was the only sub-70 round last year and there were very few 70s and 71s. Most guys shoot 72-75 consistently.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    As for competition it is probably the most nerve racking of any tournament I have played in since you are trying to play well not just for yourself but for the other 9 guys on the team. Way more stressful than the OVGA events or the Citizen IMHO.
    Nevertheless it is fun, no?
    IMO, the Intersectional Matches day is the most over rated, hyper glamourized tournament in the OVGA schedule. Why do clubs play 3 to 7 rounds to determine a team for a 1 round tournament? Where else in golf do you get to play a round or rounds and then not have to count them? In what other tournament would a competitor threaten to beat the out of you because you called him for cheating? Why does it always take 6 hours to play? Why do you have to show up by 10:30 and then tee off at 12:30? Why do members volunteer to caddie for the 10th, 9th and 8th seeded players and not for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Why do some opponents not concede 3" putts? Why, when you play #1, and finish at the end of the field, do you find the food all gone? Why do some players deliberately walk on you line, stand behind the hole when you are putting, drop a club in their bag when you begin your backswing, and compliment you on the beautiful pause at the top of your backswing?

Having played on Intersectional teams for more years than I can remember (literally) from "A" section to "M" section, I think I have seen it all. Great players scoring several under par to players who never heard of match play and not breaking 100. Opponents on their 5th beer by the 5th hole and too drunk to take the club back by the 12th, or teenagers pissed off at being beaten by a senior citizen. Winning matches on #10 to losing in "A" section on #18 because I marked an opponent's ball for him, put it in my pocket and then putted out with it. Duh??

Or, Garth, you could play against your Mike K, a fierce competitor while remaining a true gentleman, play subpar golf, tie on the 18th as we have the last two times we played against each other, and then shake hands and go have a beer. That's what the matches are all about, not all the other boorish BS.

We start out qualifying tomorrow. Whoopee!!! I wonder if my second 35 years of Intersectional matches will be as exciting as the first?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    IMO, the Intersectional Matches day is the most over rated, hyper glamourized tournament in the OVGA schedule. Why do clubs play 3 to 7 rounds to determine a team for a 1 round tournament? Where else in golf do you get to play a round or rounds and then not have to count them? In what other tournament would a competitor threaten to beat the out of you because you called him for cheating? Why does it always take 6 hours to play? Why do you have to show up by 10:30 and then tee off at 12:30? Why do members volunteer to caddie for the 10th, 9th and 8th seeded players and not for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Why do some opponents not concede 3" putts? Why, when you play #1, and finish at the end of the field, do you find the food all gone? Why do some players deliberately walk on you line, stand behind the hole when you are putting, drop a club in their bag when you begin your backswing, and compliment you on the beautiful pause at the top of your backswing?

Having played on Intersectional teams for more years than I can remember (literally) from "A" section to "M" section, I think I have seen it all. Great players scoring several under par to players who never heard of match play and not breaking 100. Opponents on their 5th beer by the 5th hole and too drunk to take the club back by the 12th, or teenagers pissed off at being beaten by a senior citizen. Winning matches on #10 to losing in "A" section on #18 because I marked an opponent's ball for him, put it in my pocket and then putted out with it. Duh??

Or, Garth, you could play against your Mike K, a fierce competitor while remaining a true gentleman, play subpar golf, tie on the 18th as we have the last two times we played against each other, and then shake hands and go have a beer. That's what the matches are all about, not all the other boorish BS.

We start out qualifying tomorrow. Whoopee!!! I wonder if my second 35 years of Intersectional matches will be as exciting as the first?
    To me it’s the highlight of my golf season. I just love it. Match play is an in your face, no tomorrow type game and it gets my blood flowing.

I don't get rattled by noise or movement around me when I play golf so it makes me laugh inside when someone tries to distract me during my stroke.

Just can’t wait.

Mike

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=BC MIST]IMO, the Intersectional Matches day is the most over rated, hyper glamourized tournament in the OVGA schedule. Why do members volunteer to caddie for the 10th, 9th and 8th seeded players and not for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd? [QUOTE]

It's because it's a tournament for more than the "Elite" that can play in other OVGA events. It's really our chance to enjoy competive golf against other clubs players once in a season. Most of us won't play in other OVGA event because we have way lot more to do and won't spent our precious holidays playing competitive golf on Mondays and Tuesdays. Maybe other OVGA events would be more attractive and more glamour if they were held during the week-end...

As for the caddy issue, it's often because top seeded players rarely play with other members than those playing into the A class. As they normally make the team, they obviously won't be caddying. I used to be a one of the top seeded player and always been recognized as a person enjoying playing with players of any skills at my course. Of course, to be honest, I prefer to play with A class members but I'm also known as a person that isn't unpleasant because it happens that a C class will join us for the round. Never had any problems finding a caddy! Golf isn't only competitve...might have to do with personality...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

It's because it's a tournament for more than the "Elite" that can play in other OVGA events. It's really our chance to enjoy competive golf against other clubs players once in a season. Most of us won't play in other OVGA event because we have way lot more to do and won't spent our precious holidays playing competitive golf on Mondays and Tuesdays. Maybe other OVGA events would be more attractive and more glamour if they were held during the week-end...

As for the caddy issue, it's often because top seeded players rarely play with other members than those playing into the A class. As they normally make the team, they obviously won't be caddying. I used to be a one of the top seeded player and always been recognized as a person enjoying playing with players of any skills at my course. Of course, to be honest, I prefer to play with A class members but I'm also known as a person that isn't unpleasant because it happens that a C class will join us for the round. Never had any problems finding a caddy! Golf isn't only competitve...might have to do with personality...
    I see your points. However, OVGA tournaments are not just for "Elite" players as the "B" class and Senior fields are always full and with a wide range of handicaped players entered.

I do enjoy competition, the Intersectional matches included, as it allows me to play with my peers and often at well conditioned courses some of which are not normally accessible. But whether it is a Canadian Championship or a round with the guys at the club, I just love to play, always try my best, enjoy the good shots, accept the bad shots and feel lucky that I can play golf almost anytime and don't have to work.

If the IM's are the highlight of the year for some, then that's great, but up to 7 qualifying rounds for a one day tournament that could be over by the 10th hole, is still much ado about nothing.

PS: I once got berated by my Intersectional Team Captain for wearing black pants that matched the black trim on the team golf shirts. He apparently told others on the team to wear navy pants. That's what you get for being #1 on an "A" section team?? He was an eyelash from being told to take the team and shove it.

Well, all I can say is you probably won't see me at the Intersectionals this year. 88 and 86 in the first 2 rounds! Outch!!!!

Though, this year, the qualifying results will be 2 sub-80 rounds to qualify not two sub-75s. The wind played a major factor for all players for the last two days that not even 10 guys broke 80 at Talon on Saturday and the scores on Predator on Sunday were only slightly better...

Maybe I can shoot 72 on next Saturday... then, maybe not...

Thread Information