CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the new anti-smoking law?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 89.58%
  • No

5 10.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Driving is an essential. Smoking doesn't get me from point A to point B. The gov is also working on cleaning up engines by the way. But they can't, and I mean CAN NOT outlaw driving because, well, it's just not feasible.
    I guess public transportation is not an option...

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    How can you implement public transportation for an entire country? People coming in from every direction, going to different work places kilometres apart. It's just not feasible. Weekends? Vacations? Going to the golf course? Not an option Reid.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Why dont they concentrate on the idiots smoking in their cars with kids inside?
    More concerened with how far folks are smoking outside of a building i guess
    What about the people smoking in their holmes,is that next?
    No more cigars for me on the deck?,Oh well,at least i can still smoke in my car with my kids WAY TO GO ONTARIO!!!!!!!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    How can you implement public transportation for an entire country? People coming in from every direction, going to different work places kilometres apart. It's just not feasible. Weekends? Vacations? Going to the golf course? Not an option Reid.
    You're right Donny... what was I thinking of... might as well shut down OC Transpo right now...

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Donny; your sitting on a patio next to a street most of the time. There is way more smoke and exhaust coming from the road than smokers would cause in an outdoor setting.

I barely even smoke but I don't like the fact that slowly the country is making everyone into a criminal.
    Does that street smoke contain cyanide?

OC works, but how many people can't take it because the bus doesn't take them where they need to go, or pick them up from where they live? OC can't afford to head out to teh burbs to bring a few people in, the costs would skyrocket to the consumer and they wouldn't pay it. I'm just saying you can't consider getting rid of cars, you can only make them run cleaner which they are trying to do (slowly though). I don't think comparing cigs to cars is a good argument for your side.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I just don't think this is a good argument regardless. This is what has been implemented and we are going to have to deal with it. If you have an issue, complaining here isn't going to get you anywhere. Take to the appropriate people and see if you can change/improve things.

The poll was about agreeing with the new bylaw, not about how much pollution cars create.

Smokers aren't going to like it, non-smokers will. End of story in my eyes.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    If they were to make a law where you can only smoke on your property (your yard, your house, in your car) I would be fine with that. If you wnt to smoke infront of your kids and expose them to that then that is your choice they are your kids and you own them until they are 18! As for banning cars, I doubt he meant it and was attempting (a weak attempt that since it is nothing alike) to show that the smoking ban can be applied to other things as well and through that show you that the ban is stupid. No one can be stupid enough to thinking that banning cars would benifit anyone

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I just don't think this is a good argument regardless. This is what has been implemented and we are going to have to deal with it. If you have an issue, complaining here isn't going to get you anywhere. Take to the appropriate people and see if you can change/improve things.

The poll was about agreeing with the new bylaw, not about how much pollution cars create.

Smokers aren't going to like it, non-smokers will. End of story in my eyes.
    Still fun to talk about

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Still fun to talk about
    Maybe so, but comparing it to how much pollution automobiles create is stretching it a little.

I haven't voted and my view as a non-smoker is, if I'm around smoke and it bothers me I move.

BTW, I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then, but few and far between.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    My vote as a smoker is that I'm for the ban. Why should you have to risk cancer because I smoke and the law allows me to smoke infront of you? That isn't really fair to you. I'm actually very impressed with the law because the GVT is going to lose a lot of revenue from taxes. People will still smoke but smoke less since they cant some everywhere anymore. Less pack/cartons will be sold so less money in their pocket. Less people dying of cancer.. so I guess they will make that money back by saving it on the OHIP side.. but by the time we see any changes (decades from now) will have privatized health care of a 2 or 3 tier health system

thotho, you are by far the most considerate smoker I've ever known. Good on you!

"Richard"
    And donny you are the most inconsierate non-smoker I have ever met!

Must be the deaths in the family of lung cancer, what can I say?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    HAHAHAHA!! I almost fell off my chair when car pollution was compared to the smoking by-law. There's a HUGE difference between cars polluting and people smoking in a venue. Cars are also regulated by 'Drive Clean' and have to pass standards every year which are becoming more harsh. So I guess that is their attempt at cleaning that up.

Want to hear a retarded by-law? In Calgary you are permitted to smoke indoors but not on patios.

"Richard"
    my bad donny, I was just saying the opposite of whatever you called me I didn't mean anything by it. We've lost two members of the extended family to lung cancer, one of the reasons I stopped (hopefully I can last!) check PM

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    P.S- I voted YES! They have the same law here in Edmonton and I LOVE IT!

48 threads.... Hmmm... Not bad, but not michelle wie calibre! LOL, just kidding mods!

In any case, I really don't care about the new law either way. It was inevitable.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    As a smoker I feel it is a good law, but they may be pushing it slightly on one point. So I have a leased car for my personal company (sole proprietor), with personalized company name license plates. I use it about 50/50 for business/personal. Does this mean I cannot smoke when I am alone in the car going to a service call, but I can if I am on personal trips with my wife and daughter? That is not going to work well since it is the opposite of reality. I always have windows mostly open when I do smoke in the car though. I still feel it is a good law, for cabs even, or any public transportation. As a smoker I go out of my way to prevent other people from being exposed to my smoke including abstaining or butting out if someone seems offended.

"Richard"
    So what happens if someone breaks the law? I cant wait to make citizens arrests! thats gonig to be so much fun!

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    First let me say that I am a non smoker, and I wish that no one smoked anything!

If I own a restaurant, it is a private place open to the public that choose to come in! I can understand if I had to post a sign that smoking was permitted in the establishment. Anyone that chooses to enter does so at their own risk. Is that not freedom?

It is not our God given right to go to KFC, it is our choice. My choice and your choice.
    I can choose to work in a smoking environment or not.
    I can choose to hug a tree if I so desire!

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone smoking it is the big brother concept that I do not like.

Next we will all have to eat the same food, wear the same clothes etc….see where I am going?

Re the B/O issue….. My understanding is that any perfumes would be banned not odorless deodorants! This issue rates as high as the one above! Last time I was a jet, The young lady behind me had eau de toilet on! After 2 hours it had finally wore down to the point that I could no longer smell the stuff every time she blinked. They announce we are 15 mins from landing and she runs off to the head for another splash! I swear I was gagging! It was worse than being stuck in an elevator with 4 x 14 year old girls!

And another thing!

Let’s not forget about the cooking odors that come from the neighbor’s house. Man there ought to be a law!

"Richard"
    are your neighbor’s indian? ALL of my friends and family have gotten comlpaints from their neighbor’s because when they cook it smells up the whole street! my house included... but the goog thing is, our food tastes awesome so its worth being told off a few times.

What resteraunt do you own? PM me if you like, I'd love to come try it out

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    "If I own a restaurant"

I do not, but if I did, your meal would be on the house!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    LOL, well given the choice to smell either the attrocious odor from my neighbour cooking mung fish on the BARBQ, or someone wearing clothes that had Febreeze involved in the laundering process, I would pick the mung fish every time. At least it does not give me an instant booming headache and shortness of breathe. The are some vicious odors out there and many of them rank worse than cigarette smoke to me, an occasional smoker. I was stuck on a plane for over 8 hours where the stewardess outfits where laundered in something like that and it was the longest worst plane ride in my life.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf
    "If I own a restaurant"

I do not, but if I did, your meal would be on the house!
    Sweet, thanks man! If you ever decide to open one let me know !

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    What makes me annoyed is how everyone here likes having the goverment act as mom and dad

Welcome to Canada.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Not to be a threadjack but since you all are on the bannig topic shouldn't there be a law against advertising beer drinking on TV? No one is ever drunk or violent, the girls are models etc.everything is perfect. What they don't show you is the young driver runnng his car into a telephone pole and the old man coming home and beating the crap out of his wife and kids
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    30-4 think it's a good law. That should say something right there.

There is a change in society's attitude about smoking. This law is a good thing, if for nothing more to further drive home the truth that smoking is bad for you.

It still boggles my mind to see people smoking despite the health risks associated with it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Not to be a threadjack but since you all are on the bannig topic shouldn't there be a law against advertising beer drinking on TV? No one is ever drunk or violent, the girls are models etc.everything is perfect. What they don't show you is the young driver runnng his car into a telephone pole and the old man coming home and beating the crap out of his wife and kids
    are you referring to commercials or just TV in general? It is illegal to show someone drinking a beer in a commercial.

Thread Information