100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Pin placement ruling???

Hi,

Is there a ruling on how close to the fringe pin placements can be?

I have always heard that 8 feet was the limit but I can’t find a ruling.

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The location of the hole on the putting green is not a matter covered under the Rules of Golf. However, when setting such locations, various specific points should be considered.

There must be enough putting surface between the hole and the front and the sides of the green to accommodate the required shot. For example, if the hole requires a long iron or wood shot to the green, the hole should be placed deeper in the green and farther from its sides than would be the case if the hole requires a short pitch shot.

In any case, it is recommended that the hole should be positioned at least four paces from any edge of the green. In addition, an area of two or three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible. In no case should holes be positioned within three paces of a very severe slope or ridge or of a recently used hole.

In general, there should be a balanced selection of hole positions for the entire course with respect to left, right, central, front and back positions and six quite difficult, six moderately difficult and six relatively easy positions is recommended. One should also try to keep a balance of using the left and right of the green, e.g., first nine, four to the left, four to the right and one in the centre. The second nine should be similar.

Finally, in order to observe the Rules of Golf, the greenskeeper who cuts the hole must make sure that any hole-liner does not exceed 4¼ inches in outer diameter, and if possible, any liner must be sunk at least one inch below the putting green surface.

Dan,

These are all recomondation but nothing seem to be official! Doesn’t the USGA or RCGA have a mention on this at all?

The reason I am asking is that my home course place the pins “flag length” from the edges on most holes lately. I don’t mind that but it fuelled up some discussions these past rounds.

Mike

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Nope, not a rule. Just guidelines.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Dan,

These are all recomondation but nothing seem to be official! Doesn’t the USGA or RCGA have a mention on this at all?
    Mike:

As Dan said, there are no rules but only the guidelines which Dan has specified. Here's a link to an article on the USGA site that mentions it under the Cupping Area heading, if you want something "official":

http://www.usga.org/turf/articles/co...the_grade.html
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Or in the case at my course, depending on what kind of mood the guy was in when he set the pins I have seen em right on the downslopes of some of our greens. If you are above the hole you better leave the putter cover on
    I have played other courses and seen the pins 5 feet from the edge of a green. Depends on how hard the hole is. It's all a challenge, isn't that what we play the game for?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    The location of the hole on the putting green is not a matter covered under the Rules of Golf. However, when setting such locations, various specific points should be considered.

There must be enough putting surface between the hole and the front and the sides of the green to accommodate the required shot. For example, if the hole requires a long iron or wood shot to the green, the hole should be placed deeper in the green and farther from its sides than would be the case if the hole requires a short pitch shot.

In any case, it is recommended that the hole should be positioned at least four paces from any edge of the green. In addition, an area of two or three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible. In no case should holes be positioned within three paces of a very severe slope or ridge or of a recently used hole.

In general, there should be a balanced selection of hole positions for the entire course with respect to left, right, central, front and back positions and six quite difficult, six moderately difficult and six relatively easy positions is recommended. One should also try to keep a balance of using the left and right of the green, e.g., first nine, four to the left, four to the right and one in the centre. The second nine should be similar.

Finally, in order to observe the Rules of Golf, the greenskeeper who cuts the hole must make sure that any hole-liner does not exceed 4¼ inches in outer diameter, and if possible, any liner must be sunk at least one inch below the putting green surface.
    If that's the case then the greens at Stonebridge shouldn't have holes at all.

The "rule of thumb" that I'm most familiar with is not closer than 5 paces from the fringe, but I know in recent years, especially on the PGA Tour, that zone has shrunk.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    just aim for the centre of the green unless you are using a wedge. Thats what I do

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Is there a ruling on how close to the fringe pin placements can be?
    I cannot find any reference to a "pin" in the Rules of Golf.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    I cannot find any reference to a "pin" in the Rules of Golf.
    Nor to fringe.

Perhaps it's another game.

Answer from RCGA:

There are no Rules which govern hole location, only guidelines. The RCGA guidelines include not less than four paces from the edge of the green and with a relatively regular slope (not necessarily level) radius of 3 to 4 feet around the hole). The player should have a good chance of making a three foot putt, and be able to stop the ball at the hole if putted from above the hole.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Gary wants to see "Flagstick" in the query....RIGHT???

Thread Information