CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood dgc1947 is on a distinguished road

Agreeing to buy on classified

There are a lot of people on Ottawa Golf who say they will buy something and the buyer agrees to hold the item for them. Then the buyer never makes any attempt to pick the item up. I respect a person if they come and decide not to buy because the goods were not as described or the buyer expected the item would be in better condition than it is but I do not respect aperson who wastes your time and loses sales for the seller because they do not show up. I leave negative feedback for these deadbeats. I see the agreement to buy the same as one on ebay and if you don't follow through you are warned and banned after several of these occurrences.
    Dave

"Richard"
    I said I was sorry!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgc1947
    There are a lot of people on Ottawa Golf who say they will buy something and the buyer agrees to hold the item for them. Then the buyer never makes any attempt to pick the item up. I respect a person if they come and decide not to buy because the goods were not as described or the buyer expected the item would be in better condition than it is but I do not respect aperson who wastes your time and loses sales for the seller because they do not show up. I leave negative feedback for these deadbeats. I see the agreement to buy the same as one on ebay and if you don't follow through you are warned and banned after several of these occurrences.
    Dave
    Unlike Ebay Dave, this is a local forum. With ebay, when you bid they tell you that you are entering a binding contract and there could be reprucussions (SP?) if you don't hold up your end of the bargain. For this reason alone many are put off by ebay. So a local forum like this allows them to try and find things they want. Now sometimes things happen that prevent them from completing a deal. Now before we go off and start bad mouthing them, give them the benefit of the doubt. And if your item was a sought after one it should be no problem to move on to another interested party.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I know nothing of this deal, other than what I read in this thread. It's totally up to you fellas to sort this out in PMs prior to postiong posative or negative feedback. After an opportunity to get happy with each other (or not) the feedback system is there...

A deal negotiated here is not a binding one. However, a deal that is "bailed on" is worthy of negative feedback with a comment disclosing the particulars in a factual, non inflamitory manner. Just a matter of factual documentation as I see it.
    The "bailee" can respond with the explanation.

I agree Dan. That's what I was trying to explain. Before posting neg/pos feedback give the individual the benefit of the doubt to explain themselves first. If someone keeps going around posting unwarranted neg feedback everyone will be quite hesitatnt to deal with that individual.

I've had a few people have to bail on deals with me, but their reasoning was more than satisfactory so no need to post any feedback.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I've had a few people have to bail on deals with me, but their reasoning was more than satisfactory so no need to post any feedback.
    Exactly.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I've had a few deals to sell stuff fall through, but it's no big deal, I never count anything sold until the person picks it up. There are a few tire-kickers but the amount of good deals far outweighs the bad in my experience on this forum. Person-to-person sales are way better than eBay, despite the 'guaranteed sale' aspect of bidding. Everything is upfront, no fees, and you get to ensure the condition of the club/whatever before you make a final decision.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgc1947
    There are a lot of people on Ottawa Golf who say they will buy something and the buyer agrees to hold the item for them. Then the buyer never makes any attempt to pick the item up.
    IMHO this can be worse than someone who bails out of a deal before completing it, and may be worthy of negative feedback.

Strictly speaking, when you post an offer to sell and someone agrees to buy your item with all the important terms agreed upon - you have a legal contract. That being said, I would never hold someone to a deal if they told me they wanted to back out. But they must tell me!

If they agree to buy something and then just disappear, that tells me that they were either just window shopping or trying to hold off other potential buyers while they went shopping elsewhere for a better deal. IMHO that is not playing fair and is worthy of negative feedback.
    Last edited by el tigre; 05-31-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Some real good points el tigre. I agree with that as well. Didn't think of it that way.

"Richard"
    so lets say geoff has something for sale for $100, and I offer him $75 and he accepts it (all in open forum).. is that a confirmed sale or is it a confirmed sale after details are discussed? I would suggest a sale is final once and offer is made and accepted, thats it

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    so lets say geoff has something for sale for $100, and I offer him $75 and he accepts it (all in open forum).. is that a confirmed sale or is it a confirmed sale after details are discussed? I would suggest a sale is final once and offer is made and accepted, thats it
    That sounds correct to me. If I accept your counter offer that is a done deal to me. But I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt. I am never that desperate to sell/trade something that if someone can no longer afford to buy it, I will not hold them to it. Life always seems to throw obstacles at you, and a golf club ranks real low on that scale when emergencies arise.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    IMHO this can be worse than someone who bails out of a deal before completing it, and may be worthy of negative feedback.

Strictly speaking, when you post an offer to sell and someone agrees to buy your item with all the important terms agreed upon - you have a legal contract. That being said, I would never hold someone to a deal if they told me they wanted to back out. But they must tell me!

If they agree to buy something and then just disappear, that tells me that they were either just window shopping or trying to hold off other potential buyers why they went shopping elsewhere for a better deal. IMHO that is not playing fair and is worthy of negative feedback.
    Yeah, but if you have multiple people lined up, and the person is not getting back to you, but you can see they're checking the site, I'd just deal it to the next person in line. Even if they weren't checking the site.

If you don't have multiple people lined up, well then a deal backed out of is not costing you a sale with someone else. I have one club for sale right now and have had two people agree to buy it only to back out. Neither one cost me a sale with anyone else, so I'm not holding it against them. Some other person will come along and buy it and I don't want to create bad feelings with another member by trying to force a deal they're not comfortable with.

HOWEVER, if you agree to terms, set a time and meeting place and the person never shows? Well, that would piss me off and I'd probably leave a neg.

Just to clarify though, THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO START TIRE-KICKING MY ITEMS!!!

Thread Information