CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Ball alignment on the tee?

A comment in another thread left me curious about something.

When you place you ball on the tee, are you particular about how it is aligned, ie face up etc... or do you just put it wherever and tee it up.

Does seeing a word or logo bother you when you place the ball on the tee?

Sometimes I turn it around straight, name facing the pin, but most times I just tee it up where ever it sits when I put the tee in the ground.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I put a line on the ball for alignment purposes while putting.. So naturally I like to point that down the fairway off the tee.. But I don't spend time lining it up carefully...
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    For me every putt is aligned to the "Tour Ultimate" line printed on the ball. Tee shots are alighned to a spot on the ground so the ball orientation is irrelevant

Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road
    when teeing up, i line up the titleist parallel with the ground, so i can crush the logo, superstition goes further, when putting line up the titleist with the hole.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    When I remember to do it, I prefer to have the logo on the 7-o'clock position (where noon and 6 o'oclock is aligned to the target line), since that is the position on the ball I am aiming at.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    I don't line it up at all off the tee.

However, when I am on the green, I can't have a logo or wording print lined up to the hole like most people. It actually throws me off.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    For those of you who align the logo to the hole or to a target line, I assume most of you know that on most balls except Pro V1s the logo isn't actually printed on the true mid point of the ball which means that while it may help you align, the center of gravity of the ball is not centered properly with the target when you line up the ball as such. Therefore, even if you hit the ball with your putter perfectly square, the ball will not roll on its center of gravity so it will not roll truly.

Granted, for most golfers it doesn't make that much of a difference but for more serious golfers like me it does. So if not playing Pro V1s, I draw a line on the real center of the ball and line that up to the hole if I read the putt to be straight or to my intended line of play if there's a break.

Maybe it's a mental thing or just because I pay more attention to my putting but my putts per round have decreased since I started doing that last year by about 1.5 putts per round.

As for lining up at the tee, generally, I line up my club face to the target prior to taking my stance and then align myself to the club face.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I put the ball down, and swing. My swing doesn't care how the ball is sitting...if i'm slicing it, i'm slicing it.

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    Agreed Longball. I don't think most people realize all the balls imprinted aside from the Pro V's are not aligned along the seam of the ball. And just to clarify, the seam is not the logo that says Titleist, rather where it says Pro V1 392 or whatever.

Thread Information