100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm the same way. I won't leave the range on a bad shot. Often it means stealing a few balls from a friend, or reaching out onto those first few yards of grass to grab a stray ball. I just can't leave on a bad note.

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    Hey Geoff,
    If you are serious about the MP3 players, I have a couple of older models here you are welcome to.

Creative MuVo 128MB

Sonic Blue Rio Sport 128MB
    (I might be able to fine some extra memory for that one.)

PM me if you're intrested.

Good luck with the game.
    AndyG

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Well I crapped the bed again this weekend. Lost my match play on 2&1 after being 3 up after 11. Mr. S decided to show up and it was all down hill from there.

Today I was pretty much eliminated from the Intersectional qualifying. A "solid" 86 for a meager 20 points. Had 6 S's and three tops today. And also I couldn't chip a ball to save my life. I was about 8 ft off a green today and it took me three attempts to get the ball on the green. When it rains, it pours.

I might head out for round three next Sun, not sure yet. But after that if I do play, the clubs are going in the basement for a while. Until they either collect a layer of dust, or until I fell like I actually miss playing. Its a struggle that just doesn't want to seem to end for me.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Well I crapped the bed again this weekend. Lost my match play on 2&1 after being 3 up after 11. Mr. S decided to show up and it was all down hill from there.

Today I was pretty much eliminated from the Intersectional qualifying. A "solid" 86 for a meager 20 points. Had 6 S's and three tops today. And also I couldn't chip a ball to save my life. I was about 8 ft off a green today and it took me three attempts to get the ball on the green. When it rains, it pours.

I might head out for round three next Sun, not sure yet. But after that if I do play, the clubs are going in the basement for a while. Until they either collect a layer of dust, or until I fell like I actually miss playing. Its a struggle that just doesn't want to seem to end for me.
    Hey, I see the problem. People are so afraid to say it out loud. No whispers, no 's' reference.
    Repeat after me Geoff: S H A N K. Say it out loud. Embrace it. Its like saying out loud in a support group for the first time...."Yes I am a sex addict"..um..ah..not that I have any experience with that.
    Its just the way people shun you like a leper.
    After shanking at range other day I just said let it go, shank or not. It flew away like the bird of peace.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I wish it was that easy shark. Trust me. Tried the whole "Don't think about it" method. Hasn't worked. So I'm trying the "take a break from the game" method. Maybe it will be a week, maybe a month. I don't know, we'll see. This game is supposed to be fun, and its just not fun anymore.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Hey Geoff, hang in there. I was shooting like junk all year so far except for an acceptable 77 last month and but today I found my game back. I shot even par 36 on the front and a so-so 40 (damn you putter) on the back for 76. While only one shot better than my previous best round, I was striking the ball much better. Mr Putter just started to fail to convert birdies and pars on the back...

All in all, it felt great.

Hang in there, your game will come back sooner rather than later...

Forgot to mention. No need to worry, I will still be around here as much as normal. Possibly more with all the free time on my hands.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    In a week or so you need to golf with myself and my father-in-law at Manderley, sometime Geoff, a few pints, relax and giver.

Go Figure

Head out today with the mindset that no matter what the result is from any shot I won't care. Go out and shoot my usual 41 on the front. Not too concerned, didn't hit the ball all that bad.

Back nine, come out firing with a birdie on ten. Then proceed to double both 11 and 12. Birdie 13, then par 14 and 15. Birdie 16. Finish with two strong pars for a one over 35. Finished with a 76. WHAT?????

Not sure what happened, but very pleased. What a strange game.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Head out today with the mindset that no matter what the result is from any shot I won't care. Go out and shoot my usual 41 on the front. Not too concerned, didn't hit the ball all that bad.

Back nine, come out firing with a birdie on ten. Then proceed to double both 11 and 12. Birdie 13, then par 14 and 15. Birdie 16. Finish with two strong pars for a one over 35. Finished with a 76. WHAT?????

See what happens when you don't care? That's probably the first tension free round you've played this year.
    Nothing can kill a golf game like tension.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

HEY IS THIS THE SAME GUY WHO STARTED A THREAD LAST WEEK AND STATED HE WAS READY TO QUIT THE GAME GO GOLF???
    Can't be the same guy, no way. That guy was so fed up he was ready to toss his clubs in the river.
    Oh well, guess we ain't going to be getting any BARGAINS on his clubs now
    PS. I have a nice set of forged blades for you when you are ready for the next step up in ball striking !
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Well I gave it my best shot. After putting myself behind the 8 ball with two very poor rounds I came out today in less than ideal scoring conditions and shot a 79. Minus two holes were I put up doubles to score no points, I missed out on a playoff to make the Intersectional Team by just 1 pt. But I can't be too upset, I gave it my best shot today. Put up one of the four best scores at the club today with howling winds. I never got down on myself and grinded to the best of my abilities. Wish I could have scrapped out the last couple of points, but I tried my hardest. Good to see the help I got from my lesson is paying off. I'm sure in better conditions my score today would've been much lower. There's always next year.

I have to say, I don't normally toot my own horn, but I am quite proud of myself for not trhowing in the towel. And thanks to all here for all their support and kind words.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Nice work Geoff. Good comeback under tough conditions.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    On the heels of possibly my best play ever last week (I had a stretch of 11 holes @ -1) I had one of the most humiliating and awful rounds of my life Saturday morning. I believe I got 7 Stableford points.

It has bothered me more than I thought it would. I was embarrassed, angry (well for me on a golf course angry is still relative) cold, tired, frustrated... I had every mis hit shot out there except the whiff.

I can attribute it %100 to tension, and then snowballing frustration. I had a very sound range session just prior to teeing off. I'm hoping it was just an abberation. I still could never contemplate hanging it up, but if this goes on for a few more (even one more) games, I can totally see where you were coming from Geoff.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Damnit, foiled in my attempt to wrest Geoff's Zs from him. Curses!!

Seriously though, glad the game is back into shape, but I have to say, I'm not feeling too much sympathy for the guy that shoots and 76 and 79...

Could be worse, you could have shot around 220 like I did over 36 holes at Battlefiled and Usher's Creek on the 30th. There's $165 in green fees wasted.

Keep up the good play, Geoff.

I'm going to try the balls underfoot trick myself, as I'm having issues with contact moving closer and closer to the heel, and suffering bouts with the s myself.

Just to give everyone a bit of an update. I thought I'd wait until I got 4-5 rounds under my belt since the lesson before I got too excited. My scores have been 72, 84 (in a real terrible weather day), 76, 77, 79 and drumroll please; a round of even par 70 today.

I am a real believer in lessons and would recommend them to anyone who is struggling with their game. The best money I've ever spent towards anything golf related, yes even better than some of the clubs I've purchased. LOL!

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    "Meh, I hate you guys"

Seriously, although now I feel like hammered about my game, congrats Geoff.

Thread Information