100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar

Angry Golf Channel moving

According to the Score Golf web site, Rogers is moving the golf channel to channel 410 and you will have to subscribe to ditgital cable if they want to get it. I suppose nothing Roger's does surprises me any more. I can't stand dealing with that company. While I watch the golf channel quite a bit and will miss it, no way I will pay extra to get it. In fact, I guess I can drop down to the cheaper package because the Golf Channel was the only real reason I upgraded. In fact, it would be a great time to consider switching to satellite. Rogers loves to tell you how much better there cable service is but everyone I know who has satellite service loves it.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Hey, atleast we have a Golf Channel to watch. It's one of the many sports out there with a specific channel for golf related programs only. You don't see that with many other sports or hobbies.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I'll say one thing for Rogers - I have experienced excellent service up-time since switching to them from Bell. Bell's satellite service would go out during moderate percipitation events on a regular basis. In the 18 months since I switched to Rogers I don't recall ever having the cable 'go out'. As for moving the Golf Channel to 410, it doesn't impact me because I subscribe to the HD service, which requires that I have the digital range... I might be ticked if I were in your shoes, but not ticked enough to switch to Bell - just wait until you try dealing with their customer service department - billing nightmares!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    That sucks! I'm with you...the only reason I upgraded my cable package was to get the Golf Channel. I might go with Bell now. That pisses me off

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This just a couple of seasons before The Golf Channel will be the primary carrier for PGA Tour events.

I think what we are seeing is the beginning of the push to digital / HD to the mainstream. All new programming will be produced in HD after 2006 (so say the powers that set regulations in US and Canada) so it's time to get on board.

I have HD, but I feel for those who don't yet and especially for those who could care less about it but will be forced to anti up just to get the content they want.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Hope their planning on lowering my monthly charge then
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Andru
    I never complain about the cost of television. Considering how much I watch it, it's a great value.

They're not moving tgc to 410 to screw you, or to extort and extra 2 bucks from you a month. They're moving it to 410 because it's part of the digital package. The lower channels will be phased out over time.

The lower channels are not digital, they're analog. Moving the golf channel to 410 means it's only broadcast in digital. That's sweet. Hopefully they'll be getting in the 500's soon. That's HD! There's only so much data they can move through the pipe. They want TGC to move to digital. That's it.

It's like complaining about the cost of gasoline. Have you checked how expensive Bottled Water is these days? Who's doing the fleecing?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I have Star Choice and have had very few problems. It has to be a pretty bad thunderstorm for the service to go out - I can only remember it happening maybe 3-4 times in the last 6 years.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Hope their planning on lowering my monthly charge then
    Fat chance!!
    Right now I have my cable, internet & cell phones with Rogers...this is the last straw...time to look for a new carrier.

The Digital package with the max HD stations, HD PVR and the Movie Network runs us aboout $100 per month. I feel it is worth it, but I don't watch much that is not HD. I can't wait until HD is the standard. I am skeptical about the end of 2006 being a date when I could expect all new shows to be available to us in HD. They may be produced for it, but will we get it all? Will rates go up woith more HD channels? I see a lot of stuff "double boxed" now.

A buddy of mine contacted Rogers. They say that the Golf Channel will move to the digital tier on July 6, 2006.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Dan, i'm starting an off topic thread (to avoid jacking this one) please check it out as you might be able to help
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I have Star Choice and have had very few problems. It has to be a pretty bad thunderstorm for the service to go out - I can only remember it happening maybe 3-4 times in the last 6 years.
    I have Starchoice also. No extra charges for HD
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Question Robbers..oops I mean Rogers Cable

Just spoke to Rogers. Apparently they are going to offer 1 year free digital converter and the Golf Channel to anyone affected by this. After the one year the price will go up by about $10 (if you are on the Ultimate TV package like I am -- basically the cost of the box and the one extra channel).

Also they have indicated that within one year they will be dispensing with analog cable all together so you will need digital converters for all your TV's. Guess the old electrohome tv beside my putting green (by that I mean the carpet in the basement office) will just be weighing down the bookcase in the event of a tornado after that time......

Reminds me of Bell when they got rid of analog phones. Basically I had 1 month to change service and only got a $50 credit for the trouble of being FORCED to change a perfectly good phone that lasted for over 4 years for one I had to replace within 2 years.

I may just take the one free year and see what gives after that....

Garth

Yes, but it's not Rogers at the root. It is just progress. Analog TV is very old technology, and it really does suck compared to the new "up and coming" standard.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Bell ExpressVu, in HD. Best thing ever, costs me 55 a month for everything. Of course, Mrs. Vantage works at Bell. The programming for Bell is awesome though.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Yes, but it's not Rogers at the root. It is just progress. Analog TV is very old technology, and it really does suck compared to the new "up and coming" standard.
    In what way does it "suck" exactly? I saw virtually no difference in my "upgraded" digital cell vs analog. Same dead zones, and in fact even worse reception in some areas and when switching from digital to analog constantly the battery was killed within hours.

With the exception of HD; since I do not have an HD ready TV, what exactly am I going to gain from going to digital from cable? Same transmission medium with the same inherent problems = pretty much the same thing without the golf channel.....but it will cost me more.... Ah I see the benefit now

6 Iron Ian is on a distinguished road Ian's Avatar
    It's the way that Rogers keeps 'whittling' away at you that bugs me. I used to be an Internet subscriber, but they kept whittling that down. First the speed dropped (and Rogers Extreme, at my old speed, could be had for a 'small additional cost'!), then they began to filter certain ports and then they discontinued Usenet News (and I got no reduction in charges, because Usenet had been a 'free' service!). So, I switched providers, still on cable, and got most of my old speed back. And, saved enough on the charges to purchase Usenet News from a third party. So, I still pay about the same, but get much better service.

Now the tv starts. I have the digital service, but only on 1 set. I used to like to watch TGC in the kitchen while loading the dishwasher or cleaning up or whatever. Now, unless I want to spring for another digital box, which I don't, there'll be no more of that nonsense! I can now watch it on one set. And, if I flick between 410 and 53, I can't see any difference in the picture (except that 410 sometimes pixelates and 53 doesn't).

I did call them and lodge my complaint. I know that it won't do any good (unless perhaps a LARGE number of people complain), but at least I let them know. They offered me the 1 year free deal too, but I just don't want another digital box. And, no, there will be no reduction in fees for the loss of TGC. Did you say StarChoice, Colby?

Andru
    You'll have top buy a digital receiver for every TV with star choice as well. I'm happy about the digital move. Some of us have gone to the new technology. HD to regular cable is liek black and white to colour. There's no going back. I'm like Dan. I rarely watch a show that's not in HD.

I have to admit I'm peeved with the whole digital box dependency. I wish I could just have my tv and that's it. The flat panel tv's are so nice you can put them on the wall but now you have to find a location for that stupid. F'in cable box. Annoying. It's like these jerks don't believe people decorate their homes.

Anyway I've been forced into a rant. I apologize for the outburst.

In what way does it "suck" exactly?
    I was comparing Analog to HD. Once you get used to HD, analog is hard to watch.
    I saw virtually no difference in my "upgraded" digital cell vs analog.
    We are talking about TV, not cell phones, so I don't know why you brought that comparison into it.

I was comparing Analog to HD. Once you get used to HD, analog is hard to watch.
    Can't argue with that, however I will not be getting HD now will I? I will only be getting the digital service, which currently works fine.

We are talking about TV, not cell phones, so I don't know why you brought that comparison into it.
    Because the analogy is identical. A forced switch to a newer technology when the existing one works fine and a monopoly that does not give a $#!& about it's customers.

Not true. The CRTC (government) and the american equivalent are phasing out an antique technology. This is not Roger's move. However, if blaming the big bad monopoly makes you feel better...

I will not be getting HD now will I?
    Dunno, that's up to you, but any new TV you buy will be HD ready after this year. If you want an old analog TV they are practically giving them away at Future Shop right now, but it's a waste of money.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Did you say StarChoice, Colby?
    Yep Starchoice. And yes you will have to have a box for each set. I do have an extra one lying around...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Not true. The CRTC (government) and the american equivalent are phasing out an antique technology. This is not Roger's move. However, if blaming the big bad monopoly makes you feel better...

Dunno, that's up to you, but any new TV you buy will be HD ready after this year. If you want an old analog TV they are practically giving them away at Future Shop right now, but it's a waste of money.
    My bad I thought I had mentioned in a previous post I don't have HD capable tv's.

That said the CRTC is not pushing the cable industry to go digital in the same way the FCC is in the US. There has been no imposed deadline for cable companies to go digital here in Canada unlike the Feb 2009 deadline in the US.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    Just spoke to Rogers. Apparently they are going to offer 1 year free digital converter and the Golf Channel to anyone affected by this. After the one year the price will go up by about $10 (if you are on the Ultimate TV package like I am -- basically the cost of the box and the one extra channel).

Also they have indicated that within one year they will be dispensing with analog cable all together so you will need digital converters for all your TV's. Guess the old electrohome tv beside my putting green (by that I mean the carpet in the basement office) will just be weighing down the bookcase in the event of a tornado after that time......

Reminds me of Bell when they got rid of analog phones. Basically I had 1 month to change service and only got a $50 credit for the trouble of being FORCED to change a perfectly good phone that lasted for over 4 years for one I had to replace within 2 years.

Garth
    So does that mean that in a year from now,none of my sets will work?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

No it means they will all need digital decoders. New TV's should be HD ready.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    It's 2009, but that will most likely be extended until 2012. Then no more analog signals.
    Just get HD, it's well worth it if you watch sports and like primetime tv shows.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I just called Rogers and took the one year free converter option for the Golf Channel. Initially, the agent did not offer it to me until I mentioned it was offered to other people. I'll decide after the year if I will go with Bell.
    Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Pitching Wedge dpanco is on a distinguished road
    I'm not surprised at all by the move.

What surprises me is that Rogers hasn't yet been sued for tied-selling!

No "influence" at work there

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Why do you insist that "antique technology" is necessarily a bad thing? Not everyone needs the latest and greatest of everything.

You buy a product to satisfy your needs - if the existing "antique technology" can satisfy those needs, then why does it suddenly "suck" and why should consumers be forced to upgrade? If the new technology is so much better at satisfying customer needs, then you don't need to force it on anybody. Is there anybody that hasn't voluntarily replaced their turntable with a CD player?

I don't think anybody is denying that HD is better, and that making all new TV's HD-compatible is a good thing. But by forcing digital converters on ALL your customers, what you're really doing is creating demand (and of course, huge profits) for a product that only a part of the market wants, at the expense of the people who don't need it.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Thread Information