100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Average driving distance

From the "close but no cigar" thread....

What is everyone's average driving distance on here?

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    I would say 235, been going up lately as Im getting used to my new driver and I have only been playing seriously for 2 years. Best drive was 315 yards, dunno how I did that.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Do you mean average of all drives, or average of all good drives, or average of all drives that I hit perfectly on a hard fairway down wind?

Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road
    average 260-290, R580 xd, with titleist ball usually

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Probably 270 to 290 is my best bet. If i pound it though i can get it out there over 3 bills.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Do you mean average of all drives, or average of all good drives, or average of all drives that I hit perfectly on a hard fairway down wind?
    I'm talking drives that hit the fairway.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    My average is about 230-250, depending on roll. I find by swinging easier and sacrificing yards I hit a lot more fairways now. I have new clubs this year and I seem to be hitting a little further, more to the 250 mark than before.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    230 yards plus minus 50 yards
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I'm talking drives that hit the fairway.
    Assuming flat terrain with normal wind and ground conditions.......

I carry the ball about 240-245 with my normal swing. Usually rolls out to about 260-270.

When the stars and conditions align, I have been known to poke the occaisional 300 yarder out there.

As I usually state in these threads, distances are GPS measured.

Sand Wedge hacker1 is on a distinguished road
    Normal conditions for this time of year I carry about 235-250 thats in the fairway
    usually get very littel roll this time of year

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    When I am not swinging like a dough-head I average 240 carry. With things drying out I am getting 260 with roll on average. Lately have been bombing it a bit more. 9 west at Stonebridge on Sunday from the blue (second farthest back) I got it over the traps and caught the downhill - ended up all the way to the bottom of the hill in front of the green. Of course, chipped over the green to the back collection area and made a bogey!

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    From the "close but no cigar" thread....

What is everyone's average driving distance on here?
    This year - 245. It is easy as I have only hit one fairway so far.

[note to self - must get out more.]

To be fair, it was a best ball tournament, and we did play some of my longer drives that were not in the fairway.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Probably 270 to 290 is my best bet. If i pound it though i can get it out there over 3 bills.
    I'm just gonna copy this because it sounds about right. Usually depends on the Trajectory that day.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I average about 185 yards downhill with a strong wind at my back and hard fairways, anybody willing to give me 5 strokes??????.....I lie, you lie, we all lie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    I average about 185 yards downhill with a strong wind at my back and hard fairways, anybody willing to give me 5 strokes??????.....I lie, you lie, we all lie!!!
    We do? I know I don't lie or need to lie about how long I drive the ball or what I score. I don't think anyone's out there to impress the others, but I could be wrong.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    He means golfers in general like to exaggerate. We've all done it at one point or another. Just part of our nature.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    He means golfers in general like to exaggerate. We've all done it at one point or another. Just part of our nature.
    I guess....I can't remember the last time I've exaggerated or lied about the distance I hit the ball though, or my scoring for that matter. I'm pretty sure I leave that for the self-conscious people. Anyway, ty if we do because it doesn't really give other people a good idea of how far you hit your driver, for teaching purposes or product changes etc...

Never exagerated? What about a drive on a hole when the tee box was moved way up, and without measuring the actual distance you just guess the length of your drive by using the markers?

I've exagerated. I once had a drive inside 100 yds on a 495 par 5. But I know for sure it didn't go 395+ yds. Tees were up and I went over the dog leg. But I still like to tell the story.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Never exagerated? What about a drive on a hole when the tee box was moved way up, and without measuring the actual distance you just guess the length of your drive by using the markers?

I've exagerated. I once had a drive inside 100 yds on a 495 par 5. But I know for sure it didn't go 395+ yds. Tees were up and I went over the dog leg. But I still like to tell the story.
    Meh...I don't get too much out of telling stories to tell you the truth. Most times when I see the yardage, I'll have a look at the markers by the boxes to see if it's accurate so I can pick the right club. I've never experience a teebox moved up 100 yards in your case, so I guess my answer would be no, I don't exaggerate when I golf.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    I haven't been anywhere near 300 yards. My driving stinks. I swing too hard and miss the sweet spot, I'm all arms, my tempo is jerky, and my shaft is a wet noodle. Average is about 185. Every whole it seems I'm driver, 3 wood, wedge, putt (putt, putt).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Never said it was moved up 100 yds. I just know that I didn't hit it 395 yds. You don't have a hole at the course you play that no matter where the tees are you reach for driver? You always pace of yardage?

So what about early in the year and the courses are not in good shape. Do you always play the ball down, or do you lift, clean and place in poor conditions? If so, do you tell people you played the round that way?

Do you now understand the point ironmaster was trying to make. Regardless, if so, you are the first 100% honest golfer I've ever met.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I drive 19.5 km from my door to my club.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I guess 250-270 , but does it have to be straight ? I have the "fade from hell " when i really try to smack the ball, however this shot is apparently called a "slice", so i've been told!
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    in a perfectly flat, no wind, temperate weather, with a normal (non-super distance) ball, i carry about 250-260 w/ a swing speed of 105 mph max. if i use a lower lofted head (8.5*), i get a good roll: 20-30 yards, depending on the ground/moisture/angle. however, i seem to miss the sweet spot more with the 8.5 (overswinging?). my best hits have a slight draw.

Never said it was moved up 100 yds. I just know that I didn't hit it 395 yds. You don't have a hole at the course you play that no matter where the tees are you reach for driver? You always pace of yardage?

So what about early in the year and the courses are not in good shape. Do you always play the ball down, or do you lift, clean and place in poor conditions? If so, do you tell people you played the round that way?

Do you now understand the point ironmaster was trying to make. Regardless, if so, you are the first 100% honest golfer I've ever met.
    To answer your questions, and to be 100% honest with you...

For one, I don't play in Spring conditions usually, so no, I don't lift the ball, clean it, then put it back down and play it. In all rounds I play, I take penalty strokes, and play the ball where it lands. Why would I not? It does nothing for me to cheat or to have a better lie. It doesn't give me an accurate measure as to how I'm playing.

Two...No I don't always take driver on the courses I play. I'm lucky enough to play courses that have yardage books which I've made notes on and depending on tee location, I'll take all the way down to my Nickent Ironwood off the tee if the boxes are changed in yardage. It's all about course management. why would I, or anyone for that matter, take driver out if the teebox is moved up say 40 yards. If you know you can hit a really nice 8-iron to the pin, why would you put yourself in a situation where you have to make a shot with PW that you don't normally take?

Perhaps I'm the first honest player you know then, because I can confidently tell you that I don't embellish anything that has to do with golf. If I wanted to do that, I'd take up fishing.
    Last edited by Txxxxxxx; 05-30-2006 at 07:18 PM.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I drive 19.5 km from my door to my club.
    Little less distance for me to my course, but I do er in one shot! Average ball speed is about 100 Klm/hr I also have to play a big draw!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I say my average is around 275-280. I hit 300+ drives regularly. My longest one this year is 325.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    210-230 is my avg. probably on the lower side. I like to think I am decent length, but when a typical par 4 for me still involves at least 150 yards plus, it means I am not exactly bombing it.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Last year was up around 250. This year I am swinging easier, with the same toweringly high ball flight that results in zero roll, and am closer to the 220 range (ARGH). Can still launch a decent one up to about 270 if I let loose and connect, but on average this year its definitely a slightly dissapointing 220-225.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    220 & 99% of the time my next shot is from the middle of the fairway.............

Thread Information