100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Do you skin your ball?

I find that with all of my wedges, if I hit properly, a small layer of skin comes off the ball and stays on the club face. Is this supposed to happen? What does it indicate?

BTW, I use Cleveland 588 wedges.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Is that why you're called residue?

That's never happened to me - but I have a sneaking suspicion I've never hit a wedge shot "properly" my whole life.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Should happen. It means you've made solid contact and your wedge's grooves are still sharp and deep. But the softness of the balls nowadays contributes to that a little as well.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    And then you have to give them away.

No that is not why I am called Rezadue. My actual name is Reza and I studied Chemistry back in university. This is one of the nicknames ( the main one ) my friends gave me. Alogn with Rezume, Rezavoir and peanut!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnorth
    Is that why you're called residue?

That's never happened to me - but I have a sneaking suspicion I've never hit a wedge shot "properly" my whole life.

Nah, I will keep them and play them. I am not a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    And then you have to give them away.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Nah, I will keep them and play them. I am not a snob.
    I'm not a snob either, just picky I would say.

Well said. I am not picky. The way I figure it, I am going to sacrifice all of those balls at some point in time to the golf gods anyway, so I might as well hit a few more shots with them.

Well said. I am not picky. The way I figure it, I am going to sacrifice all of those balls at some point in time to the golf gods anyway, so I might as well hit a few more shots with them.
    Good thinking

That being said, what kind of balls are you using? Just curious because I was having some issues with lack of cover durability the other day.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Unless you're really good I doubt a ball makes that much different if it's going in the woods... I find when I get low on balls I pull out this filthy old range ball and use it as I want it next to be gone. Then I always find myself putting it back i the bag at the end of the round; it's filthy yet I stil find it in the rough yet loose sparkling new ones all the time.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Hey reza, just played a round with some top flight xl3000 super spin and had the same result , some of the cover came off on a few shots , but i know these balls are pretty soft.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I have seen this with a veriety of balls including the XL3000, other top flite, Nike, Titleist DT and NXT. If I hit a good shot I can almost guarantee that I see some skin on the club in the grooves.

Cleveland wedges rocks.

I have seen this with a veriety of balls including the XL3000, other top flite, Nike, Titleist DT and NXT. If I hit a good shot I can almost guarantee that I see some skin on the club in the grooves.

Cleveland wedges rocks.
    I've never had a problem with the NXT's, but then again, I only used them for one round and don't own those pretty Cleveland wedges either.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Lately I'm begining to think my nickname is "Visadue", at least that what I've been hearing from my wife

No that is not why I am called Rezadue. My actual name is Reza and I studied Chemistry back in university. This is one of the nicknames ( the main one ) my friends gave me. Alogn with Rezume, Rezavoir and peanut!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    That happens to the Dunlop Super Loco balls.

Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road
    i play the 588's also, and i had the same problem when i played with callaway's hx blue, or titleist nxt-dt solo, and other balls, i would end up throwing the ball away, now this year i play with the pro v1, what a difference i think ill be on my 3rd round with the same ball, those balls are amazing, expensive but truly amazing

I used the Cleveland 588 wedges too...maybe I should consider switching balls.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I find that with all of my wedges, if I hit properly, a small layer of skin comes off the ball and stays on the club face. Is this supposed to happen? What does it indicate?

BTW, I use Cleveland 588 wedges.
    Bragger...it means u rock and I suck...damn I want to spin that ball hard
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Believe me, if you saw my game, you would know that there is nothing to brag about!

my thinking was im already spending $40-48 per dozen why not fork out the extra $15 for the best available, so far so good, longer drives, better feel striking irons, drop and stop, better feel chipping and putting, if the ball really didnt make a difference pro's wouldn't bother either, but its like any other sports, hockey with the composite sticks, are they really better, who knows, technology will keep evolving and we as consumers will keep fueling the demand for bigger better products.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Don't get me started on those cheap ass expensive composite sticks... Went back to wooden sticks last year... I use cheap golf balls usually, does it really make a difference? I don't want to fork out 45 bucks to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Don't get me started on those cheap ass expensive composite sticks... Went back to wooden sticks last year... I use cheap golf balls usually, does it really make a difference? I don't want to fork out 45 bucks to find out.
    In my opinion, playing ProV1's compared to playing Noodles for example, is a HUGE difference. If you're a below average golfer, odds are you won't notice the difference between the two on how hard they hit the trees.

Well, right now I use Dunlop DDH balls bought from Walmart. Paid them like, 26$ for a pack of 24 or somewhere around that and I am looking into buying some titleist balls from some guy on the forum. Ain't that bad of a golfer, just need to work on being more consistent and finally learn the short game. Id get within 50 yards of a par 5 in 2 but finish the hole with an 8...

your probably amongst the minority who think that, i have 2 RBK 4k's, and RBK 5K snake grip, and a CCM vector, all held up all year, beats buying 15 wood sticks, that get soft and flimsy after two games.

Quote Originally Posted by lngdrvcantputt
    your probably amongst the minority who think that, i have 2 RBK 4k's, and RBK 5K snake grip, and a CCM vector, all held up all year, beats buying 15 wood sticks, that get soft and flimsy after two games.
    I'll have to agree with you on that one. I have a CCM Vector and it held up through some ECHL games and summer hockey leagues. When I played Junior in Ottawa, I used to break a stick every practice or game.

A friend of mine had a Sherwood composite.. broke after 2 games of summer league. I had a Bauer Vapor V, it held up for a year but didn't like it and didn't like the cost so I went back to wooden stick.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    The "residue" left behind indicates to me when I hit a solid wedge shot. I see it a lot at the range as that seems to be the only place I can hit the ball solid these days!

Well, right now I use Dunlop DDH balls bought from Walmart. Paid them like, 26$ for a pack of 24 or somewhere around that and I am looking into buying some titleist balls from some guy on the forum. Ain't that bad of a golfer, just need to work on being more consistent and finally learn the short game. Id get within 50 yards of a par 5 in 2 but finish the hole with an 8...
    Why don't you lay up to about 100 yards and have a full shot into the green. Then you don't have to worry about those half shots all the time..

Probably cause I never thought of that... I still need to work on my short game and putting, I won't be able to lay off at 100 yards all the time..

I used to be in your situation all the time then I got better course management and my goal now is to lay up to the 100 yard marker on par 5's. Then I have a full wedge into the green. My scores are lower as a result. But I'm a short hitter so reaching par 5's in two are usually out of the question.

I agree that improving your short game will save you tons of strokes but better course management will lower your score too.

Thread Information