100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cuts on balls?

"Richard"

Cuts on balls?

A cut or a scuff... how much does it effect the ball flight? I usually get rid of the ball as soon I as see either. Am I just wasting balls?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Depends how severe. Some that are just a little off the surface don't affect ball flight too much. Gouges or deep cuts render the ball pretty much useless. There was an article in GD or GM. I'll see if I can find it and relay the info. The article basically stated any abnormalities to the golf balls surface will alter the natural turbulance created by the ball. Just a matter of how sever of an abnormality.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Only wasted if you run out of good golf balls before completing the round. This happened to me inadvertantly late last year at Emerald Links very late in the day, playing alone, with only two holes left. I would have given almost anything to have a cut golf ball or two at the point.

"Richard"
    what did you do? should have just begged someone for one somewhere or go for a bit of a walk in the forest and try your luck there

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm the same depe, a ball starts peeling or has a cut, I toss it in the lake.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    What if I didn't want anyone to know my real name? What if I told everyone your real name? or "geoff johnston's" real name??

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I toss too many in there out of anger - by the time I actually NEED to throw one away, I don't have any left to spare.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Good thread for sure. I don't know if I'm picky, or just have too much money to spend, but as soon as I get a scuff on my ball, it goes in my bag then to the "give this ball to not so great golfers shopping bag". I usually give them to buddies who shoot in the 100's or guys who just aren't as picky as me.

I tend to believe that if the ball has a scuff on it, it's changed the aerodynamics of it, which in turn, would change the ball flight.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I tend to believe that if the ball has a scuff on it, it's changed the aerodynamics of it, which in turn, would change the ball flight.
    You are correct. But like I said, just depends on how severe of a cut.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    Good thread for sure. I don't know if I'm picky, or just have too much money to spend, but as soon as I get a scuff on my ball, it goes in my bag then to the "give this ball to not so great golfers shopping bag". I usually give them to buddies who shoot in the 100's or guys who just aren't as picky as me.

But are you really that good that a scuff is going to hurt you? maybe instead of pulling it to the left on that particular shot is pulls to the right because of the scuff and now isntead of in the water you are in the CUP!

But seriously, wouldn't a minor scuff help you sometimes? I guess there is no way to tell

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Hey, what's wrong with golfers that shoot in the 100s??? We're people too, we don't need your 'pity' cut/scuffed balls!!!! LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hey, what's wrong with golfers that shoot in the 100s??? We're people too, we don't need your 'pity' cut/scuffed balls!!!! LOL
    AHHAHAHA!! Didn't mean to be condescending to the category I mentioned.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    what did you do? should have just begged someone for one somewhere or go for a bit of a walk in the forest and try your luck there
    I sucked it up and went home man. Because it was so late in the year and in the day as well, there really were not any golfers around to be seen anywhere. The problem was really that I lost about 8 balls on the West course in the middle of the fairways do to EXCESSIVE leaves. It was very frustrating to say the least. I usually find more than I lose (which is not often many), and a dozen can last me a whole season.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    speak for yourself...the way I'm playing lately, I'll take whatever I can get

But are you really that good that a scuff is going to hurt you? maybe instead of pulling it to the left on that particular shot is pulls to the right because of the scuff and now isntead of in the water you are in the CUP!

But seriously, wouldn't a minor scuff help you sometimes? I guess there is no way to tell
    I don't know if it would hinder my ability to make a shot. I shot a 75 the other day and two putted 8 times for par from 10 to 15 feet away from the cup. The course had a rating/slope of 75.6/138. Not trying to toot my own horn here, just trying to give you an idea of the type of golfer I am.

Who knows...It could be a mental thing, but I think that when golf ball manufacturers make the dimensions of the balls to a thousandth of a millimetre, and if you scuff the cover of your ball and make one of those dimples a different shape, you flight might change. Maybe, like I said, I'm too picky.

"Richard"
    The course had a rating/slope of 75.6/138.
    OMG! what course was this?? 75.6 and a rating of 138... I've never even heard of anything over 72 for rating! Never played anything with a slope over 130!

Stick to what you are doing, you are obviously awesome and could have gone much lower if your putting was on! Hell, I suck and I would have hit atleast 2 of those putts

OMG! what course was this?? 75.6 and a rating of 138... I've never even heard of anything over 72 for rating! Never played anything with a slope over 130!

Stick to what you are doing, you are obviously awesome and could have gone much lower if your putting was on! Hell, I suck and I would have hit atleast 2 of those putts
    Northern Bear in Edmonton. www.northernbeargolf.com if you want to check it out. I played it from the tips, which made for a challenge and driver use on pretty much every hole. I don't know if they have a tournament coming up or something, but the other time I was there the furthest tee I could hit from was the Gold tees which are on the same box as the blue.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Actually the link has a score card saying 74.9 / 133? Still pretty damn hard.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Actually the link has a score card saying 74.9 / 133? Still pretty damn hard.
    Odd...The scorecard has 72.9/129 for the blue tees, 73.8/132 for the gold tee, 75.6/138 for the black. I noticed the link online for the scorecard is different than the one they hand out. Very odd.

The black tee box doesn't usually have markers in it because I believe it's for tournaments only, but they were out the other day so I decided to play from them.

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    No, i carry a little knife with me at all times to cut doglegs into my balls.

Cut the right side for a draw & the left for a fade.

Works on big breaking putts, too...

allanhouston90
    Cuts on Balls?

OwWwWwW! :Shivers:

Thread Information