CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Technology and Golf

For the most part it seems that technology has made improvements primarily for golf equipment, better clubs, long flying balls, etc.. but little has been offered on the courses themselves. I want to start this thread for fun to see where people would like to see technology applied to the course instead of the equipment for a change. Here are a few wacky ideas I have on that subject.

1. Black grass, for the fairways. It would create a distinct look while making the ball even more highly visible. It would show a clear distinction between fairway and rough from much greater distances. Additionally other colors could be used for markers or anything else that could be helpful, without actually making it look like a football field or anything like that.

2. Distance finders mounted on every tee, to allow players not only to get an idea where they want to hit the ball in the fairway, but also accurately gauge if the group in front is really out of hitting range or not. I am quite sure this would dramitically decrease players hitting into the next group by accident.

3. Flagpoles that have a glow ball to illuminate the green on dark days or evening golf. Alternately it could glow with a specific color to and combined with special glasses you could filter out say green to make the putting surface more readable or something

Thats my 3 for now.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    1. Black grass, for the fairways. It would create a distinct look while making the ball even more highly visible. It would show a clear distinction between fairway and rough from much greater distances. Additionally other colors could be used for markers or anything else that could be helpful, without actually making it look like a football field or anything like that.

2. Distance finders mounted on every tee, to allow players not only to get an idea where they want to hit the ball in the fairway, but also accurately gauge if the group in front is really out of hitting range or not. I am quite sure this would dramitically decrease players hitting into the next group by accident.

3. Flagpoles that have a glow ball to illuminate the green on dark days or evening golf. Alternately it could glow with a specific color to and combined with special glasses you could filter out say green to make the putting surface more readable or something

Thats my 3 for now.
    #1. I'm not a botanist but I do know grass reflects green light because it has chlorophyl (remember grade 5 science and photosynthesis?) - I think you would need to remove the chlorophyl to have the grass absorb all the light that was hitting it so it appear black. If there's no chlorophyl there's no photosythesis and if there's no photosynthesis the grass starves. It would also be very hot.

#2. ...would be nice

#3. ...special glasses? hmmmm...most golfer's look pretty goofy already!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    So what we really need then is black chlorophyl.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    So what we really need then is black chlorophyl.
    YES!

bbad
    no just glasses that filter GREEN to black...oh how the world would look

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    For the most part it seems that technology has made improvements primarily for golf equipment, better clubs, long flying balls, etc.. but little has been offered on the courses themselves. I want to start this thread for fun to see where people would like to see technology applied to the course instead of the equipment for a change. Here are a few wacky ideas I have on that subject.

Thats my 3 for now.
    Why would you want to ruin the world's most naturally beautiful game? Leave the Tiger Woods video game stuff where it belongs, on the computers and game consoles.

There's a lot more technology at work on the golf course than you realize. Many courses feature computerized watering and drainage systems. A lot of courses have genetically modified grasses in play such as GN1 or Penncross bent. Sophisticated pest and weed control regimens. Triplex mowers. Laser measured distances from sprinkler heads. Accurate yardage books. Imported sand. And most of todays greenskeepers and superintendents have degrees in agronomy. It takes a lot of technology to keep a golf course looking "natural". Don't you think that's enough?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Alternately it could glow with a specific color to and combined with special glasses you could filter out say green to make the putting surface more readable or something
    There are already sport contact lenses that help filter out light to make things easier to see, including a golf version that helps you to see contours on green surfaces better. Check out http://www.bausch.com/us/resource/vi...ght_resfaq.jsp

I am thinking of getting some since they are otherwise the same lenses I already wear.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Nike Maxsight

Nike must have been listening to you. They have eye contact lens that filter out certain wavelengths of light for better green reading. I think Michelle Wie wears or wore them.

Check it out at http://www.nike.com/nikebiz/nikebiz....&item=maxsight

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Having lost more than my share of balls already this year, I suggest taking the idea of the "radar ball" or whatever it is called, and simplify it. Instead of special balls that can be found with a handheld unit, make a golf ball that when it comes to rest on the ground a little flag pops up and waves. That way I can find it!

Maybe in different colours so you can differentiate your wayward drives from those of your playing partners!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Any new technology to rid myself of the shanks for good!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Any new technology to rid myself of the shanks for good!
    Good idea, how about a SmartHosel, that dodges out of the way when it approaches a ball at high speed.

Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar
    I would really love to see more yardage markers on the course. They don't need to be big, obtrusive, or take away from the natural layout of the course.

Some courses I've played really make it hard to find even the 200, 150 or 100 yd markers. Really - would it be that hard to place a few more markers, bushes, coloured flat stones, etc. along the edges of the first cut, or just on the edge of the fairway, whatever... so that the layout or beauty of the course isn't compromised, but the ordinary golfer is given a bit more info than is currently available?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I have one that I would LOVE!! I really believe that a gallery would save about 15 strokes per round for a duffer like me. I want cardboard cut-out galleries!!!! Tiger Woods sized galleries!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by KickerOfElves
    Having lost more than my share of balls already this year, I suggest taking the idea of the "radar ball" or whatever it is called, and simplify it. Instead of special balls that can be found with a handheld unit, make a golf ball that when it comes to rest on the ground a little flag pops up and waves. That way I can find it!

In addition to a flag my ball would require floaties and a snorkel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    In addition to a flag my ball would require floaties and a snorkel.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    funnel-shaped greens so I could finally get a birdie after a gir.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    funnel-shaped greens so I could finally get a birdie after a gir.
    You wouldn't even need GIR to get a birdie, your 3rd shot chip in would haev a better chance of going in as well!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    how bout some sort of golf ball with a chip in it, such that when you are at the range, it can tell you exactly how far you hit it.

BTW, I can't even imagine how hot black fairways would be.

Thread Information