CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Canada in 2nd place at EMC2 World Cup

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...01&select=7892
    PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico -- Dinesh Chand used to caddie for Vijay Singh, and now they're trying to win a world championship together.

Chand and the 2000 Masters champion shot a 10-under-par 62 Friday to give Fiji the lead at the World Cup. Singh and Chand are 19-under through two rounds of the two-man event.

Chand, who plays on the Japanese Tour, made birdie putts of 8, 10 and 5 feet on the final three holes to give Fiji a one-shot lead over first round leader Canada and defending champion South Africa.

Canada's team of Mike Weir and Ian Leggatt shot 67 on Friday, while South Africans Rory Sabbatini and Tim Clark shot 64 in the alternating shot format. The teams return to best ball play on Saturday.

The top-seeded American team of Phil Mickelson and David Toms managed only an even-par 36 on the front side and avoided sliding farther down on the standings by making five birdies on the back nine. They still trailed Fiji by seven shots.

``We're a good ways back, but we're not an uncatchable ways back,'' said Mickelson, who continues to struggle with the Bermuda greens. ``Tomorrow will be a big day for us. We need to shoot 13, 14-under-par and we'll be able to make up some good ground.''

Full Field Scores

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road

GO CANADA GO!!!!!

I hate to 2nd guess them but.....

The boys are doing great but I really think they made a mistake in their approach to the course today. I don't understand why Leggatt drove off the odds numbered tees and Weir the even ones.

As a huge fan of both players, I guess I don't know their golf games as well as I thought, because to me the way that course sets up, I think they decided to do it backwards today. And I'm not saying this in hindsight, I said it to myself when I first noticed this around the 9th hole for them. The announcers even mentioned this later in the broadcast.

I thought Legatt's strong point is his distance off the tee, and Weir's was his iron play. Well they had Weir teeing off on 3of4 par 5's, and Leggatt teeing off on all 4 of the par 3's.

Most of the par4's on the back had Weir hitting the first shot, Leggatt the approach, then Weir trying the Birdie putt who has been struggling all year with his putting confidence and birdie attempts. Leggatt has been a much more consistent putter this year.

Look at this stat from today:
    10-par4's & 4-par3's
    Weir drive, Leggatt approach, Weir birdie putt, = 0/6 birdies.
    Leggatt drive, Weir approach, Leggatt birdie putt, = 3/4 birdies
    Then the par3's
    Leggatt tee/approach, Weir birdie putt, = 0/4 birdies.

Don’t get me wrong, the boys are doing great (no bogeys) “GO CANADA GO” and we as Canadians are and should very proud of these two players but after a fantastic 59 yesterday I just think that they could have been even better, maybe even still in the lead.

Did anyone else notice this?????
    Last edited by jimrobin; 12-13-2002 at 09:34 PM.

Thread Information