100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golfworks ?

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Question Golfworks ?

I recently discovered Golfworks on Colonnade and was pleasently surprised by their prices. They have a set of irons with graphite shafts that they are selling for $127 and claim that the regular price is over $1000. They look good. Has anybody actually played this set? I think the sales guy said the heads were Excalibur. My wife is looking for gift ideas. $127
    Last edited by Gofish2; 12-06-2002 at 09:51 AM.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I haven't played the set although I have been using the Colonnade Golfworks parts and services for a few years. I have bought various grips, shafts, heads, ferrules, shop tools from them and have also had them do some lie adjustments. They also give good advice.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

golfworks

I have seen the set. Ain't nothing wrong with it. I once played a whole round with an Excalibur driver and it was truly one of my best driving days ever. Golfworks has sometimes great close out deals. I once bought a powerbilt left handed lob wedge for $20. shaft and ferrule included. Go fer it.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-11-2003 at 01:06 PM.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Re: Golfworks ?

Originally posted by Gofish2
    They have a set of irons with graphite shafts that they are selling for $127 and claim that the regular price is over $1000. $127

I doubt it very much the regular price is over $1000. In the world of "merchandise selling", the mark up is not that much on golf products. It is not possible for them to be using the exact same materials as name brand clubs to build their clubs and sell them for $127.

I always say, you get what you pay for.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking year end blowout sale now on

I have also bought shafts, grips, etc. from them but did not do the assembly (my buddy does that for me) and have been very happy with the components I have.

As far as complete sets, I agree, you get what you pay for.

Just read in the Ottawa Sun that they are having their "Year End Component Blowout Sale".

I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Re: you get what you pay for

What is the cost price of an original BB shaft? You'd be surprised. You get what you pay for but you also pay for all the marketing sponsorship and so on. Besides all the pros with endorsements have tweaked clubs and most times not OEM shafts. I agree that the markup is a little steep on that one but Golfworks have great deals I guess on bankrupcies. Last year they brought in Goldwin driver heads and the price difference was huge compared to the original price. Golfsmith has now access to Snake Eye clubs and introduced Spalding clubs as well exclusive to clubmakers. Just so you know.A.C.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-11-2003 at 01:08 PM.

Re: set back

The only set back to clubs off the rack is: what you see is what you get. A.C.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-11-2003 at 01:08 PM.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Golfworks

Having been a hobbyist clubmaker for many years, I purchase most of my components from them. The staff have always been helpful and friendly, and if your timing is right, you can get some good deals.

I once bought a closeout of 130 Golf Pride grips, which I like and still use, for $1 each. If you buy sufficient quantity, you are given a pricing break on EVERYTHING you buy.

Another good thing is that you can call in your order at 10:00am and pick it up at 11:00am and not have to pay shipping. We are lucky to have them located here in Ottawa.

andy

Thumbs up GolfWorks

I just got golfworks to build me a set based on a clubfitters advice and they are fantastic.

$500 and got 2-PW Dynacraft heads (look identical to X-14s) with Rifle shafts and Winn grips plus the reshafted my 3 wedges with Rifle Spinner shafts and Winn grips.

Finish is better than anything you will find a rack and after hitting at Total Golf and Golf-o-max the feel is top notch.

They have my business next time!!!

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    I'm glad some people have use for the heads available at Golf Works. Personally I never did like the Malty heads. They are just too out left field. What in the world where they thinking about when they come out with the streamliner.

I can't see the Outburst not dragging the toe on the ground (even with the toe bent up) in real playing conditions. The reverse toe and long head spells trouble if you have any clubhead speed in your swing.

A lot of their heads sound great on paper but I think that's where it ends. As a clubfitter, I've tried some of their heads and wasn't too impressed.

The only head they have that comes close to making any sense is their HP forged but its only available in a right hand and too expensive. I would prefer playing with the forged heads put out by Raven and they're less expensive.

I think I'll stick to the proven more traditional heads.

golfworks

ParT. I admit that some of the Golfworks' heads are odd looking but in all objectivity they have more than the Outburst and the Streamliner to choose from. I have played with the whole 2002 season with Rim fire irons and CER woods and was quite satisfied. Before Maltby started his own business he used to build and design clubs for major manufacturers...I have also used dynacraft products Golfsmith products and customclubshop products. In one of your threads you mention Reo distribution. They seem to carry similar products as the customclubshop. But thanks for your input.

andy

Talking Golfworks

I agree with you on Golfworks heads. That's why I got Dynacraft heads and got Golfworks locally to do the assembly.

dynacraft

Andy.Before Golfworks acquired Criterion (190 Colonade)Criterion used to sell Dynacraft products.

What I like about Golfworks is their pick-up counter. Too bad they're not open on saturdays. I can pick-up the same day without any delivery charges and without the hasles of getting an authorization number then back to the post office for returns. If I don't like a product I can return it for full credit within 30 days no questions asked. I can actually see the products I am buying and pick up grips on sale as well. We are lucky to have them locally.

I find it very disturbing that when someone mentions a source of parts other than Golf Works, Swing Sync or Golfsmith, a warning is sent out to the author. This tells me that this site is very biased and paid to control advertising by the previous names mentioned. Readers are unlikely to receive information other than what the controlling bodies want you to view. I'm not interested in this type of manipulative marketing. I'll find another unbiased and informative source of info.

andy

Golfworks

I had heard that they used to deal with Dynacraft.

Either way, it worked out well for me. Their December special was free assembly as long as I bought the components from them. They made an exception when I told them I already had the dynacraft heads. So, I got a great set of clubs plus wedges for just the cost of the components.

Again, another mention of Golf Works with no warning sent. What a pile of B.S.

warning

ParT. This is a forum and no one is paid to promote a supplier or another. It would be sad to see you not suscribe to this forum because I believe you bring up some very interesting points and I personally enjoy reading your takes and I believe you have a lot of expertise in the matter. But everybody is entitled to their own opinions. There are some forum members that will never buy component clubs and I mean ever. So please keep up posting please.

Sorry but thsi forum is being finaced and manipulated to benefit certain equipment providers. Please explain messages received from the controlling bodies.

Hi ParT and welcome to OttawaGolf

You have made several very informative posts and I thank you for your contribution. I look forward to more well informed posts in the future.

However...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out the forged heads on www.reodistributing.com As far as I can tell this is an Ottawa Web based company. They have a great left hand selection, something I've been looking for for a long time. My prayers have been answered!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post unfortunately is not acceptable. There are rules regarding commercial posts on the forum. The above post was removed, and one other was removed where you discussed "finding the website "

Our rules prohibiting such poists are in place for 2 reasons
    1) Our paid advertisers do not deserve to see non paid ads in the forums.
    2) The golfers expect the items offered for sale are private sales, and are looking for deals on used equipment If they want to go shopping, they can visit the retailers.

The restriction on commercial posting in the forums applies to advertisers as well.

You may offer tips, advice and discuss the advantages of products that you carry in an informative non-promotional way, and include a link to your site in your sig. You may even wish to change your username to Reo.

I hope you will consider an advertising banner on OttawaGolf, as your business is an ideal fit for an ad here.
    www.ottawagolf.com/advertise for more information.

From The Rules:
    Commecial Advertising
    We do not allow people to post threads or to send private messages or emails to users here that advertise any retail products or professional services. If you wish to advertise on OttawaGolf OttawaGolf Advertising If someone PM's you with a come-on to patronize their commercial establishment please contact: Moderator

Signatures
    4 lines maximum, up to 50 chars per line.
    You may include a link to your website or email in your sig, but no advertising slogans are permitted.

Here is the link to the full text of the rules
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/sho...s=&threadid=699

Advertising

As far as I know only the three suppliers under this link advertise for Ottawa Golf.
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/customclubs/index.htm

No mention of Golfworks, Golfsmith,Golfquip,Custom Club Shop.

ParT. As mentionned above I appreciate your takes and input. If you are not promoting any supplier in particular please let it be known to the moderator. You obviously know an awful lot about equipment and clubmaking but I can understand the position of Ottawa Golf towards this matter. Are you a PCS? Cheers.

I'm a certified club builder and have been doing this for quite a few years. I'm continually looking for new products and don't promote one over the other, however if I see something I truly believe in, I should have the right to express my views.

I do own a frequency analyser, bending machine, spine finder and all the other tools to complete a high end custom set. Armed with the right equipment, I'm able to determine the good from the bad very quickly and match equipment to the golfer. I've completed extensive testing on a larger variety of shafts and trust me there is a lot of garbage out there (no names mentioned). As an independent, I'm not tied or paid to promote something because head office says so.

I'll be at the PGA show in Orlando this year to stay current with the latest. I do this every year so that I can provide my customers with accurate current information.

I'm not sure if this forum even allows someone to provide their email so that we can take topics off line. It's difficult to be open and straight forward when the forum is obviously very skewed towards certain products and suppliers (no names mentioned).

I caution readers to read between the lines when reading certain posts as messages are screened. Only certain names are allowed to flow through.

garbage

If there are some garbage shafts out there I would certainly would like to find out about them.Thanks.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If the owner of Golfworks comes in here and posts "please come and buy at Golfworks" they will indeed recieve a warning.
    My major objection to your post was it's misleading nature where you stated
    Check out the forged heads on www.reodistributing.com As far as I can tell this is an Ottawa Web based company. They have a great left hand selection, something I've been looking for for a long time. My prayers have been answered!
    As the owner of this company I doubt you were very suprised to stumble on the website.
    This post would have been fine, if posted by someone as a true endorsement, as is evidenced by the fact that legitimate endorsements do remain on the board. I always check on these posts to see who they are from.

By the way Golf Works & Golfsmith do NOT advertise here. Swing Sync was not mentioned in this discussion. Your accusations are false.

How would you know who was given warnings? They are always sent privately, not dragged out here in the public forum as you have done.

I hope you stick around and enjoy the board, and I am sorry if you feel picked on, but the rules apply equaly to all.
    I'm not sure if this forum even allows someone to provide their email
    As I told you, you may include a link to your website or email in your signature. If you do not know how to set that up all you need to do is ask.

Not knowing who owns what company in the Ottawa Valley (and I am sure there are others likke me) I can appreciate some form of policing to screen ads from opinions. That said, I can see Dan's point if indeed the poster is the owner of the company being endorsed.

On the other hand Dan, if an opinion was expressed and phrased as "Check out the forged heads on www.reodistributing.com. This is my company and I would be pleased to discuss the specifics of club selection and construction with you offline." Would that have been a post which would have been removed from the forum?

quote:

I am not opposed to golfers expressing their views (politely) about businesses in the area.
    I am opposed to businesses using the forum to promote themselves, or rude "flames" from unhappy customers.

I am not attempting to allow only paid advertisers to have a voice here. They are restricted from such posts as well. I think that that this policy is in the best interests of the golfers who visit this board. As you can see, sticking up for it is not easy.

Sorry but this entire chain under the heading Golf Works is advertising in my opinion and for this reason I don't believe all posts are looked at under the same light. I'm not going to continue beating this to death but will quietly move on. I wish everyone good luck.

There is a difference between honest endorsements and dishonest ones.
    There is a difference between endorsements and ads.

Dan, thanks for the clarification. It behooves all of us to reread the rules periodically. Upon doing so I can understand why the post was removed.

ParT, I look forward to reading your future posts. Lots of good technical stuff that takes me back to engineering school. Just don't get into any deep 4th year calculus as I could only just understand that stuff 20 years ago!

Thread Information