100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

The Da Vinci Code

who is going to watch it today? Anyone read the book? I read the book and it was great but have no interest in watching the movie, I'll wait till it comes out on DVD or something. Movies based on best sellers never do the book justice. Its true, not even my beloved harry potter!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I read the book. It was good, but nothing amazing. I'll see the movie if I'm bored, but I agree that it's rare to find a good movie that comes from a best seller. But then again, one of my favourite movies was an adaptation of a book (Fight Club). They seem to have put together a pretty good cast, we'll have to see how Ronny did on this one.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    From what I have seen so far it is getting panned big time everywhere, even Cannes. Apparently it is a little too over the top. Seems Ronny finally went too far. Hard to imagine he could make fiction even more fictional....

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    I read the book, and thought it was a good read. I was excited about the movie, but after the critic's reviews, I'm not about to spend 12 bucks to go see it tonight. I will wait till the everyday critic (such as myself) has a chance to see it, and get a review from them.

Side note - has anyone also read Angels and Demons? I thought it was a better book, and would've made for a much better movie.

"Richard"
    why spend $12 when you can get a box of wilson balls for that much! ahaha

hahah, or in my case (as a starving student) about fourteen boxes of KD

"Richard"
    ahaha, get the microwaveable dude! its soooo good!

Microwaveable?! Can't say I've tried it, sounds like it costs extra - for the convenience and all.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Agreed on Angels & Demons.. A great read....

Trying to get all eight of my wife's adult family together as we all want to take it in.

Will post our consenus review

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Just watched it; it was a good movie in my opinion.

bbad
    the critics are all saying the movie is bad because the church has paid them off. Hey man...they've got LOTS of money..

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I read the book. Good, but not spectacular. I put it in the same class as James Clavell and Tom Clancy novels. I'll wait for the DVD, unless someone drags me to the theatre...

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Yes I read the book ages ago, and Angels and Demons. Enjoyed them both. I agree that I am always disappointed with movies after I have read the books. The imagination does a much better job of a read story. I will probably see it though as the rest of the family wants to see it. I will probably like it well enough but am not expecting much. I think there is way too much being made of this fairly interesting novel though.

I find that the book/movie would not be nearly as big of a deal if the Christian church wasn't making such a big deal about it. Follows the mantra that any press is good press, and the book/movie has done nothing but profit off the uprising of the Church against the book's content.

BTW, the movie grossed $77M this weekend, which by any standard is a huge opening wseekend.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    As promised:

Ended up taking 8 to the Davinci Code followed by a big BBQ.
    For the record of the 6 who had read the book 5 of us loved it & 1 was OK. The non-readers were split 1-1.

Recommended........

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I went to see it on Friday night. Overall, I thought it was well done and entertaining, but I could definately see someone who has not read the book not liking it very much. It's a somewhat complicated story in that to truly appreciate it, you need to take in all the details and the movie just does not have the ability to provide this. It would have needed to be like 4 hours long and full of dialogue to fully explain the story, IMO. For me, the movie was an entertaining supplement to the book. I think you really need to read the book first, or you will probably not like the move.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio
    one of my favourite movies was an adaptation of a book (Fight Club).
    Normally I don't waste my time reading fiction, but Chuck Palahniuk's writing is amazing.
    hoolio - if you haven't already, read some of his other stuff like Choke, or Diary. These could also easily be made into great movies.
    As for Da Vinci Code - not my cup of tea, maybe I expected too much after all the hype, but I won't be rushing out to see the movie.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I read Angels and Demons before DaVinci Code...enjoyed A&D more...then I read Digital fortress..After the 2nd chapter of Digital fortress I already knew who what was gonna happen. Dan Brown needs a new formula, same thing 3 times, I'm assuming his 4th book (Deception Point) will be the same again...I'm surprised he keeps getting the same basic formula published...but I guess, If it ain't broke...

On the movie, probably gonna wait for it to come out on video.

^^ Tom Clancy has written the same novel over thirty times, and he keeps getting it published, so Dan Brown can ride this horse for a couple more years.

Steven King's another example. It's just pop-fiction, doesn't take much to get it on the bookshelves.

"Richard"
    a&e tonight at 9 or 10pm. There is a documentary called "beyond the da vinci code" if anyone is interested

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    it was a great movie.

Also who is to say it's not true?

"Richard"
    the church

Thread Information