CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Will Albert Pujols Break Bonds' Single Season HR Record

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's awesome!

3 30.00%
  • No, he can't keep up this pace!

3 30.00%
  • Baseball? Who cares about baseball?!?!?

4 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Albert Pujols and the Home Run Record

He's at 19 now. He's the best player in the game, easily. Will he break the record for single season home runs?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    He's at 19 now. He's the best player in the game, easily. Will he break the record for single season home runs?
    Without injury, I think he may be able to yes. And I really hope he does. He is everything Bonds isn't, and I think it'd be really good for baseball. Get the attention off of Bonds and his steroid allegations, and back on the game of baseball.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I don't think so. Because Pujols is a more complete hitter than Bonds they might even start to pitch around him even more. He can hurt you with a double or triple and not just the long bomb. Look at Bonds' stats, how many RBIs did he get? Not too many because they only pitched to him with the bases empty. Seemed Bonds was either hitting a dinger or a single. Pujols can do so much more. I think they'll wise up and start the garbage of throwing pitches everywhere but across the plate.

But I do agree, it would be great for baseball. Pujols is a class act. I for one would like to see it, but doubt it would happen.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    they will start pitching around him... for some reason no one is scared of him but as he media starts to cover his more, and he gets even 1/2 way.. he is going to be pitched around like bonds

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    he's already been walked 33 times man, they're already trying to pitch around him. I think he's this generation's ted williams, only better!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Not to mention the fact that the Cards have a scary order to "pitch around" to. the biggest threat the Giants have been able to have is Alou or Kent batting after Bonds. The Cards have a whole line up of guys I wouldn't want to pitch to. I think it's possible.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    If the Cards are close in the pennant/wild card chase in the last couple of months - no.
    If they lock up a playoff spot early, or are way out of the picture after the all-star break - yes.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    If the Cards are close in the pennant/wild card chase in the last couple of months - no.
    If they lock up a playoff spot early, or are way out of the picture after the all-star break - yes.
    Why?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Why?
    If they're in a tight race, teams that are close will likely pitch around Pujols because he's the kind of hitter that can win a game with one swing.

If they're free and clear, or out of the picture, opposing team's pitchers won't have to be as careful because it likely won't matter as much.

It's a game of situational tactics.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    So wouldn't that mean if the teams they are playing are close.. then those teams might pitch around him? what does his team being in a race or not have to do with them pitching around him?

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    he's already been walked 33 times man, they're already trying to pitch around him. I think he's this generation's ted williams, only better!
    Any great player is going to get pitched around, but nothing has ever even come close to the way they have been pitching around Bonds the last 4 years or so.

Pujols is on track to have 133 walks. Which is a lot. In 04 Bonds had 232 walks and an OBP of .609. Those #'s are astounding. Never mind pitching around him, the dude was intentionally walked over 100 times.

Pujols probably won't break the record this year. He is a great player but I don't see him maintaining the tear he is on. The most Home Runs he's ever hit in a season is 46.

What I would love to see is Pujols make a run at the Triple Crown, he is indeed the best player in the game, and if anyone can do it, he can.

Thread Information