100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Will Michelle Wie Qualify For The PGA US Open?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 32.43%
  • No

22 59.46%
  • Don't Really Care

3 8.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Time to bring out the manziere (aka bro)...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Ok seriously, I don't see the big deal making a comment like that on the air. I mean, its a valid point. Donny's boobs get in the way of his swing... sadly he is in better shape than me LOL
    .......boobs and sexy under armour shorts!.........Oh do behave!!!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    You guys ever see the Simpsons episode where they are in the future and Smithers is on a date with a hot woman, Bart says "Mr. Smithers? I thought you were...", and Smithers says "Not as long as I take this injection every 5 minutes*", injects himself, and screams "I LOVE BOOBIES!!!!!" Freakin' hilarious.

*not sure if it was 5 minutes, but something like that
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

"Richard"
    Oh my, simpsons and family guy have to be the two greatest shows ever. Southpark used to be good but now they are just going for shock value... I still find it funny but the ratings are way down and I don't know anyone else who watches it. Still, family... I love Kwagmire!

Quagmire. Q. U. And he's hilarious. Giggady giggady giggady!

8 people have voted yes so far. I should have made the votes public... dang!

Andrea
    Andrea.. did you see what he just said? called women chicks... i say you take your 9i out and take it right to his bad knee
    Hey you guys!!! I like being called a Chick - but not a Dame.....I'll be gentle - won't leave any marks....I'm anxious to see thotho's wax job...ouch!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea
    Hey you guys!!! I like being called a Chick - but not a Dame.....I'll be gentle - won't leave any marks....I'm anxious to see thotho's wax job...ouch!!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    They interviewed Kenny Perry about his Knee operation last night on the GC and 90% of the interview was about Michelle Wie's chances of making the open.... His response, although very PC and diplomatic was.... Not a hope in hell.....

He said she is only 16 for god sakes, let her mature. The media is creating a frenzy where ever she goes, which is not good for a young golfer trying to establish their credentials, be it male or female.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gap Wedge zhangtony is on a distinguished road

It's so funny.

Some of your guys are keeping to talk down Wie. Please
    take time to practice your game. I will repect your guys even
    you can shot even par even just from red tee.

The red tee is not just for girls. All of golfers to shot above 80
    from white tee should start from red tee.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    zhang - after reading your post I re-read every post in this thread to see what you are referring to. I don't see anyone in this thread talking down Wie, in fact, it's mostly the opposite.
    One of the great things about this forum is you don't have to shoot below par to get respect or have an opinion.
    Just as you are entitled to your opinion that golfers shooting over 80 should play from the red tees, others are entitled to the opinion that the Wie phenomenon is nothing more than over-blown media hype.

Quote Originally Posted by zhangtony
    Some of your guys are keeping to talk down Wie. Please
    take time to practice your game. I will repect your guys even
    you can shot even par even just from red tee..
    What has practicing my game got to do with 'talking down' Wie? No one is talking her down in here, we are talking about the phenomenon that the media has created without her having accomplished 99% of her goals. (No people, I don't wat to rekindle the debate on her abilities again! )

Quote Originally Posted by zhangtony
    The red tee is not just for girls. All of golfers to shot above 80
    from white tee should start from red tee.
    Well there it is, since I shoot a stroke or 2 above 80 most of the time, I get to play from the red tees Hey Geoff, wanna play some 'friendly' calcutta with me (by the way, I get to play from the reds)

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Geez, even michelle's fans (at one of her original blogs) is losing patience. Please read.
    Wie’s novelty factor begins to wear thin
    http://www.michellewienews.com/
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Well it must be her fans, since its quoted and all, and written by clearly a fan...sigh. More hater .

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I don't think Adam Scott is a Wie hater because he says it will wear thin, I think he's honest and he's right. If she doesn't do something with the exemptions she is getting the public and the media will quickly tire of hearing about her.
    Let's hope she can qualify for the US Open and silence some critics by getting in via the same route as every other player.

"Richard"
    Not true at all. He is a 16 year old girl competing with the best men in the world. Even if she misses the cut in every tourney she gets an exemption to, she will still out draw everyone she is playing against and will continue to until she does make the cut. Once she makes the cut the hype might die down a little bit but until she does make one, it will always be big news. After she does make the cut I doubt anyone will think she can actually win and once she has made a cut, who cares if she does it again after that?

When bonds broke big macs record it wasn't nearly as much hype as there was when sammy and big mac were going after the record. Its just not fun the second time around

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Links Corner Site

Here's a reply to this same subject that appeared in one of the forums at the Links Corner site:

Mogulbasher

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 am Post subject: Wie trying to qualify for men's U. S. Open

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure beats staring at Tim Herron's Arse...

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Geez, even michelle's fans (at one of her original blogs) is losing patience. Please read.
    Wie’s novelty factor begins to wear thin
    http://www.michellewienews.com/
    Anyone watch the golf channel's Grey Goose last night? Boy, were they adament that she was going to do absolutely zippo on the PGA tour! One of the guys was banging his fist on the desk saying NO, she will never ever win a PGA event.... Then went on to blast her because she is going to go early to the qualifying practice round instead of her LPGA event that week.... she will play in the event but wont practice.

Go figure.

Even if she misses the cut in every tourney she gets an exemption to, she will still out draw everyone she is playing against and will continue to until she does make the cut.

...and if she never makes a cut? What then, a lifetime of exemptions?

... there is a distinct possibilty next year she'll be a 17 year old who hasn't made a cut, the year after that she'll be an 18 year old who hasn't made a cut. It becomes old very quickly.
    I for one will certainly lose interest if she doesn't make a cut soon, and if she continues to miss cuts she will generate less and less interest each time she goes out. You can't fight the law of diminishing returns.

An interesting comment was made on the Golf Channel last night that I was wondering how people here would react to.

It was said that if Michelle Wie makes it with the 'Big Boys', it could be the begining of the end for the LPGA tour. HIS rationale was that if Wie makes it, many others would try to accomplish the same in her wake and they would ignore the LPGA tour.

Anybody think there is any danger of this happening?

OK, I am now ready for the responses! :footballh

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    It was said that if Michelle Wie makes it with the 'Big Boys', it could be the begining of the end for the LPGA tour. HIS rationale was that if Wie makes it, many others would try to accomplish the same in her wake and they would ignore the LPGA tour.

Anybody think there is any danger of this happening?
    IMO Annika playing Colonial was the beginning of the end for the LPGA.

I posted this on another site.

Anyone care what canadian hero Mikey thinks??

A quote:
    Former Masters champion Mike Weir said Wie was a good player who appeared to be improving, and that giving her an exemption was up to the tournament sponsor.
    "If they want to give her a shot, that's their prerogative," Weir said. "Do I think it's right all the time? No, I don't. I understand the buzz they're trying to create with Michelle. But at the same time, she hasn't made any cuts. I think maybe it's about time for her to really earn a spot. It would be nice if the tour would step in. There are guys who really need to play, really need events to get in. There are plenty of guys, a lot of my friends, who are in that situation."
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I can understand where Weir is coming from watching his friends struggle to pay the bills while a privileged 16 year old who doesn't need the money gets a free pass. However, according to the story on 60 minutes Wie increases "interest" by about 50%, thus increasing prize money so it's a double edged sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    IMO Annika playing Colonial was the beginning of the end for the LPGA.
    Actually, Annika addressed that pretty well IMHO when in the interview, she said that this was a one time event for her. She just wanted to know how her game stacked up against the best in the world. Now I know ..... what ever the last 3 words mean

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I can understand where Weir is coming from watching his friends struggle to pay the bills while a privileged 16 year old who doesn't need the money gets a free pass. However, according to the story on 60 minutes Wie increases "interest" by about 50%, thus increasing prize money so it's a double edged sword.
    I am still of the opinion that she should have to earn her way on, no exemptions until she has proven that she is worthy of it. This is starting to become a 3 ring circus.... its all you hear about on TGC and on blogs..... she is a GOOD player no doubt but in my books, until she proves herself she is not deserving of all this hype

11 wrong for this year. We'll see for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Actually, Annika addressed that pretty well IMHO when in the interview, she said that this was a one time event for her. She just wanted to know how her game stacked up against the best in the world.
    It was a one time event because her game didn't stack up against the best in the world and she knew it. If she had won or even made the cut it wouldn't just be a one time thing, she would have continued playing the PGA tour. The minute Wie or any other female has real success on the PGA they will turn their back on the LPGA, not that I blame them, why play against inferior talent for less money?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Sooner or later the sponser's exemptions are going to run out for Michelle if she doesn't make a cut. Michelle is the "now" girl - which has been created by both her own desires and by those who surround her and by the media who is in constant need of the "now" thing - whatever it may be - IE, Jason Gore at last year's US Open and his subsequent wins on the Nationwide and PGA Tour - where's the pub on Jason Gore now? Nowhere. He's no longer the "now". Michelle's place as the "now" thing has a uniquely extended shelf life - due to her sex, age, and ability. But fame is fickle, and if she fails to produce, she too will be yesterday's news.

Donny's dream come true!

If in the next couple of years she hasn't made a cut and had some decent finishes, I think the controversy over her being granted exemptions will be a moot point - the golf fan won't see her as phenom but more as an annoyance. The time will come where she will have to play in Monday qualifiers / go to Q-school. But until that time, and until sponsors don't see dollar signs in front of their eyes when the dole out exemptions for her, she's gonna continue to get them.

She could be the saviour for the LPGA Tour, raising the level of play and bringing more attention to the LPGA Tour than Annika ever did if she were to commit herself to playing on and subsequently dominating. Her commitment to that tour would secure its very future.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

One thing never mentioned in all this hype is what if she matures thru adolescence and loses her game?

Anyone ever heard of phenom's in various sports who get 'gangly', gain weight etc, then lose their promise.

On the other hand if Wie were taking baby steps winning at each level, like Tiger's dad did, she might at least build a strong foundation that can withstand her aging.

She could come out of this as a superstar regardless, or all the talk of 'just wait she'll be dominating" may never happen. In 5 or 6 years we could be saying "Capriati who?".

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    On the other hand if Wie were taking baby steps winning at each level, like Tiger's dad did, she might at least build a strong foundation that can withstand her aging.

She could come out of this as a superstar regardless, or all the talk of 'just wait she'll be dominating" may never happen. In 5 or 6 years we could be saying "Capriati who?".
    John Feinstein was on TGC last night saying this exact thing. Clearly Wie isn't taking baby steps by accepting exemptions to play in PGA events.
    Despite her immense talent the odds are stacked against her.

Thread Information