100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Will Michelle Wie Qualify For The PGA US Open?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 32.43%
  • No

22 59.46%
  • Don't Really Care

3 8.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    John Feinstein was on TGC last night saying this exact thing. Clearly Wie isn't taking baby steps by accepting exemptions to play in PGA events.
    Despite her immense talent the odds are stacked against her.
    Interesting, wish I had seen it. Bought a couple of his books like his insight.

On an added note, just read a dead on blog re Wie.
    I seriously doubt anyone could disagree with this perspective
    regardless of which side of the wie fence you are on.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...ian&id=2470630
    Last edited by sharkhark; 06-07-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    On an added note, just read a dead on blog re Wie.
    I seriously doubt anyone could disagree with this perspective
    regardless of which side of the wie fence you are on.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...ian&id=2470630

Maybe so, I don't know whats in her head, but when I was 16: 1) I knew what I wanted and what I didn't; and (2) would gladly go into a profession like golf.

What she shouldn't do is read any of the negative stuff. She's actually quite the hero for 16: she's facing the negative sexism and trying to push the limits...good for her. If she finds it too crazy (and shes got sports psychologists on her team), she can quit...I just hope she chooses that for herself, not because a million people are telling her what she can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Maybe so, I don't know whats in her head, but when I was 16: 1) I knew what I wanted and what I didn't; and (2) would gladly go into a profession like golf.

What she shouldn't do is read any of the negative stuff. She's actually quite the hero for 16: she's facing the negative sexism and trying to push the limits...good for her. If she finds it too crazy (and shes got sports psychologists on her team), she can quit...I just hope she chooses that for herself, not because a million people are telling her what she can't do.
    The problem is, if she ends up messed up, its too late. She may not realize this until she is older.
    I personally feel her family is using her as a gravy train. You can't say that she has a choice, because she is a kid.
    Kids will agree with anything they like. Hey I love golf, lets be pro. Hey I like choo-choo trains.
    Kids should be allowed to be kids. Money can't buy back all you miss growing up with friends.
    Although I guess it can pay for lifelong therapy she may end up needing.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I personally decided long ago to let Michelle Wie and her parents agents etc. To decide for themselves how to run her career. I find it somewhat pointless to try to psychoanalyze how this or that will affect her in years to come...

Im not necessarily saying I disagree, I wouldn't shove something into my childs hand at the age of 3.

But one, 16 is not a kid. Two, the same could be said for Tiger, and he seems happy. And three, there are worse "traumas" in life than realizing you were steered into a profession. At some point, she won't be a "kid", and shell make the choice then.

Caddy Jeany is on a distinguished road

Wie not a chance!!

Has not won of the ladies tour yet!!! Marketing is what life is all about nowadays...bring more money

If a 16 yr old can't vote, can't drink etc, jumping all around the planet is not something a mature decision can be made on.

..and when I talk about Wie its not just can she make decisions now, her parents started this path when she was about 12. So its not just can she think now, its been happening already for years.
    She's already programmed.

If a 16 yr old can't vote, can't drink etc, jumping all around the planet is not something a mature decision can be made on.
    LOL. Just because they can't legally do things doesnt mean they don't. They also smoke, take drugs, and have sex. The notion that a 16 year old isn't mature is out-dated.

So wheres your rant about Tiger Woods then? I only see sexism in the one sided argument.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Tiger went the traditional route. Amateur golf, university golf, then professional golf.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Why do you have to go the traditional route? There's lots who haven't.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

LOL. Just because they can't legally do things doesnt mean they don't. They also smoke, take drugs, and have sex. The notion that a 16 year old isn't mature is out-dated.

So wheres your rant about Tiger Woods then? I only see sexism in the one sided argument.
    Tiger, went thru a methodical laid out junior schedule, learning to win at every level many multiple times. All while attending school, highschool, college to enjoy what it is to be young, along with alot of winning.

Wie has only her one lone win to hold onto.

..and trying to justify that she's mature enough to make these decisions by explaining that young kids take drugs and screw around? Not quite sure what your point was?

..and trying to justify that she's mature enough to make these decisions by explaining that young kids take drugs and screw around? Not quite sure what your point was?

Tiger's traditional route was to have a golf club put in his hands at the age of 2 and given green beret style training. Yep, thats traditional.

My point was that your "its not legal, they shouldn't be doing it" is as absurd as this thread.

And thank you, your response to the Tiger example proved without a doubt that your position is sexist, pure and simple. Thats my last post on this subject, or any subject to do with Tiger.

Have fun making the last point 30 times over.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Was just saying to golfpeasant that you can't compare the two. They went about things completely differently, as did their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Why do you have to go the traditional route? There's lots who haven't.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Tiger's traditional route was to have a golf club put in his hands at the age of 2 and given green beret style training. Yep, thats traditional.

My point was that your "its not legal, they shouldn't be doing it" is as absurd as this thread.

And thank you, your response to the Tiger example proved without a doubt that your position is sexist, pure and simple. Thats my last post on this subject, or any subject to do with Tiger.

Have fun making the last point 30 times over.
    LOL Golfpeasant. Not sure once again how tiger being taught to gradually win at every level, while wie's parents drag her around the planet trying to make cuts against the men is sexist.
    You might want to look up the definition of sexism LOL.
    For the record, creamer, many many many junior wins and slow rise to the top in a smart fashion.
    For the record, annika, many many many junior wins and slow rise to the top.
    For the record, morgan pressel, many many many junior titles and slow rise to the top.
    All winning throughout junior records many times over. All deserving of their current status.
    I actually currently prefer watching the LPGA as there are great players, many new asian girls with huge talent, budding rivalries i.e. annika, wie, pressel etc, and their games are just a tiny bit closer to my game (watching bubba drive it 400 doesn't compare to Ai Miyazato compete while driving only 250 is closer to me).

Anyhow to each his own, unless your related don't get so worked up.
    Almost everyone is very strong in their opinion on her. Whichever side.
    LOL. Shark

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    All the hubbub about Miss Wie and two wily veterens play their way into a playoff while Wie stumbles coming home (Again)
    It is nice to see Se Ri Pak back in the winners circle. I have always like the way she played golf.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information